• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

PHYSICS P5 QUERY

Reaction score
Hi, everyone!

Firstly, thanks to the XPC for being really quick in replying and all, to any issue that I've posted over the course of being a member of this forum.

Down to business, I am stuck of Physics P5. To be specific: the Question 2 gradient calculation. I've repeatedly calculated gradient for many past paper Q2's, but the thing where I get confused is that:

When one of the axis have, say, × 10^-2 on it, and the other doesn't (take 2012 June/51 as an example), and I calculate the gradient WITHOUT putting the × 10^-2, my answer comes 1.6, which is in fact correct, according to the mark scheme.
This is in conflict with what we have been taught. If I put the × 10^-2 in the gradient calculation, then the answer (not accepted by mark scheme) is something else.

The exam reports aren't helpful. All they say, and I quote : "... were confused by labelling of the axis for lg I and 10^-2" See what I mean? So frusturating.

Please, if anyone knows this, why we do not include power of ten in our gradient calculation, and why at times we do, please answer me.

Thanks!
Mer.

Reaction score
I have this same query too, I thought since it involves log we do not have to include the power...
I tried comparing to previous papers and in those questions where we didnt use log we had to include the power....
But this was the only question I did with log so I couldnt compare for this

Reaction score
I haven't checked the paper yet, but I wanted to ask if the way of writing is okay? Particularly if I should write in continuous prose or points are accepted too ?

Attachments

• Scan_20170127 (2).jpg
    Scan_20170127 (2).jpg
    419.3 KB · Views: 7
  • Scan_20170127 (3).jpg
    Scan_20170127 (3).jpg
    448.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Scan_20170127.jpg
    Scan_20170127.jpg
    329.7 KB · Views: 6