• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

physics paper 33

Reaction score
hehe u myt think m nuts but hay its kinda creepy 2 look @ ur profile pic with dat gostly looking skull man staring ryt in2 ur face lol :giggle: specially n d middle of d nyt

Reaction score
somebody on the other thread said that we will have 1st question on force etc and the 2nd one on heating? dude help me plz i have NO idea what kinda heating questions they may give us in PHYSICS??? ive never seen any heating questions in the physics practical... =S im really confused! those who have info on this, plz help me out man ill be really thankfull! give me some details on the heating question that we may have as Question no.2
There can't be a practical on heating. Its not in AS syllabus.

Reaction score
hey ..i heard tht from some trusted source..they said yea,no electricity..for question 1,its about spring...set-up : 2 retorts stands where 2 springs will be on both side...i think they will be a string or wire connected between both springs...then,we will add slotted weights...next,calculated the angle of deflection of the wire/string when weights added... for question 2,its about measurement of the rate of cooling of water (or any liquid) ... this is for p33...All the best for tomorrow!!
This is variant 3 right?

Reaction score
quote some mate
(i) Limitations 4 max.

Two readings are not enough (to draw a conclusion)
Heat loss (to surroundings or beaker)

Small value of (θ2 – θ1)/
% uncertainty in (θ2 – θ1) is large

Low precision of thermometer
Resistor/bulb of thermometer is not completely immersed

Water is left behind in measuring cylinder

Resistor continues to give out heat when switched off/ temperature continues to rise after switching off

(ii) Improvements 4 max.

Take more readings and plot a graph/calculate more k values (and compare)
Method to reduce heat loss, e.g. lagging, lid

Method to increase (θ2 – θ1) e.g. higher voltage, lower resistance, increased time, less water

Either: thermometer with specified better precision, e.g. 0.1 oC, 0.5 oC
Or: named device such as thermocouple or resistance thermometer.

Use narrower beaker

Method to measure mass of water, e.g. subtract mass of empty beaker from mass of beaker with water

Wait until temperature reaches a maximum before reading

Reaction score
(i) Limitations 4 max.

Two readings are not enough (to draw a conclusion)
Heat loss (to surroundings or beaker)

Small value of (θ2 – θ1)/
% uncertainty in (θ2 – θ1) is large

Low precision of thermometer
Resistor/bulb of thermometer is not completely immersed

Water is left behind in measuring cylinder

Resistor continues to give out heat when switched off/ temperature continues to rise after switching off

(ii) Improvements 4 max.

Take more readings and plot a graph/calculate more k values (and compare)
Method to reduce heat loss, e.g. lagging, lid

Method to increase (θ2 – θ1) e.g. higher voltage, lower resistance, increased time, less water

Either: thermometer with specified better precision, e.g. 0.1 oC, 0.5 oC
Or: named device such as thermocouple or resistance thermometer.

Use narrower beaker

Method to measure mass of water, e.g. subtract mass of empty beaker from mass of beaker with water

Wait until temperature reaches a maximum before reading
Copy paste:D;)