• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics paper 5 confusion!

Jaf

Reaction score
Hey everyone!
Finals are closing in on us, study hard everyone! :D

So I've been having this problem with a type of question on the paper 5 in Physics, related to uncertainties, so I was hoping someone here can assist me.

Now I know that when we are finding the absolute uncertainties in the values we take the [max value - avg.value] or [avg value - min value] to get it (our teacher has asked us to do both and record them!). What I want to know is that are we supposed to find the uncertainties for each and every value, or can we just use the uncertainty from the first value and use it for the rest?
I'm confused because the marking schemes never mention anything about writing different uncertainties for each of the different values. Rather it just mentions a range. But if we do find uncertainties of each of the values, they are usually not the same. They increase as our average value gets larger.

Now finding the uncertainty for each value is very time consuming (as I'm not very quick with calculators) and I have <10 mins left to complete the questions that come after the graph. So I'd love skipping that if it's acceptable. Furthermore, drawing the error bars accordingly on the graph is also a time-consuming task, especially if the uncertainty value is changing. It's worse if we have to decide on a scale for the graph first! I'm sure many people would agree.

Thank you!

Reaction score
Hey everyone!
Finals are closing in on us, study hard everyone! :D

So I've been having this problem with a type of question on the paper 5 in Physics, related to uncertainties, so I was hoping someone here can assist me.

Now I know that when we are finding the absolute uncertainties in the values we take the [max value - avg.value] or [avg value - min value] to get it (our teacher has asked us to do both and record them!). What I want to know is that are we supposed to find the uncertainties for each and every value, or can we just use the uncertainty from the first value and use it for the rest?
I'm confused because the marking schemes never mention anything about writing different uncertainties for each of the different values. Rather it just mentions a range. But if we do find uncertainties of each of the values, they are usually not the same. They increase as our average value gets larger.

Now finding the uncertainty for each value is very time consuming (as I'm not very quick with calculators) and I have <10 mins left to complete the questions that come after the graph. So I'd love skipping that if it's acceptable. Furthermore, drawing the error bars accordingly on the graph is also a time-consuming task, especially if the uncertainty value is changing. It's worse if we have to decide on a scale for the graph first! I'm sure many people would agree.

Thank you!

Aoa wr wb bro,
you have to find errors for each and every value, as far as i know the range that the ms gives, it actually corresponds to the first and last values of uncertainty in the column we are supposed to fill.....
totally agree with you, it is time-consuming, the plotting of error bars and all, but well, it's got to be done :(