• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics Paper 6 | Best fit line

Reaction score
Is it necessary to draw a line of best-fit in Physics graph ?
I've seen several papers in which the marking scheme says 'best fit'.
I've never encountered any paper which allows 'curved graphs'
Even my textbook does not say much about it. Will we get marks cut if we joined up all the points and the line was supposed to be a best fit ?

Reaction score
Actually I drew a curve too and it was a curve ! (y)
I'm scared it's wrong. :/
Papers 5 and 6 Tips:

You will take one of these papers that test practical Physics. There are some particular points
that are relevant to answering the questions here.

• When plotting a graph it is important to choo se the scales so that the plots occupy more
than half of the graph grid. Careless, rushed graph plotting can lose several marks. You
should always use a sharp pencil and plot small, neat, accurately placed crosses. Then
draw a neat thin best-fit line.

http://www.cambridgestudents.org.uk/subjectpages/physics/igscephysics Examiner tips

Even a model answer given by cambridge has a best-fit graph drawn onto it

http://www.cambridgestudents.org.uk...answers/0625_s03_qp_6 model answers final.pdf

Reaction score
If all mark schemes AND model answers insist that we should draw a best-fit line, then I think it's best to do so, but obviously you should look at your plotted points and from there on decide whether it forms a smooth curve or not. If not, then rather make a best-fit line. :) hope this helps!
Oh and btw, look at this mark scheme for your reassurance: for question 2b).
http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/CIE/Cambridge IGCSE/Physics (0625)/0625_s10_ms_61.pdf

Reaction score
If all mark schemes AND model answers insist that we should draw a best-fit line, then I think it's best to do so, but obviously you should look at your plotted points and from there on decide whether it forms a smooth curve or not. If not, then rather make a best-fit line. :) hope this helps!
http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/CIE/Cambridge IGCSE/Physics (0625)/0625_s10_ms_61.pdf
How do you know from the points?
Sometimes even when they're scattered they'll still want a line

Reaction score
if the points take shape of a curve, then draw a curve because a line of best fit is not possible with a curve.. if the points are scattered in a line or so, then draw the line of best fit..
it's really a sense of perspective on how u see the points spread out on the graph

Reaction score
How do you know from the points?
Sometimes even when they're scattered they'll still want a line
Well, see if you just trace your finger along your plotted points before you even start penciling in, you can judge whether a best-fit line is suitable or a curve...if they are scattered, then that's another story. A curve can only be formed if the points give you a reasonable curve...if it is like weird and doesn't look right then you gotta make a straight best-fit line (not necessarily from the origin)....I hope you got it because I am not exactly a very good explainer! :)

Reaction score
Is it necessary to draw a line of best-fit in Physics graph ?
I've seen several papers in which the marking scheme says 'best fit'.
I've never encountered any paper which allows 'curved graphs'
Even my textbook does not say much about it. Will we get marks cut if we joined up all the points and the line was supposed to be a best fit ?
i drew best fit too but it turned out to be a curve ull only lose 1 mark i dont think any more

Reaction score
2 marks will be gone because some data changes too because of making a straight line but yeah thats not much of a deal :)

Reaction score
if the points take shape of a curve, then draw a curve because a line of best fit is not possible with a curve.. if the points are scattered in a line or so, then draw the line of best fit..
it's really a sense of perspective on how u see the points spread out on the graph

The resistance question right? I got a straight line....how did u ppl get a curve?!
For the horizontal axis how did u space it out?

Reaction score
bless your heart . always remember
الله أعلم