• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
This is of paper 5
when we throw a magnet in a vertical coil , how to make the speed uniform in all parts of its vertical motion? The markscheme says -
1.Use of short magnet so that v is (nearly) constant
2. Use short/thin coil so that v is (nearly) constant
WHY? HOW?

Reaction score
Yeah, that should be it. There is an alternate method, though, just in case you're interested:

Find the gradients of the steepest line that passes through all the error bars, and the shallowest line that passes through all the error bars.

Suppose they happen to be 5.7 and 4.3 in any units (and the gradient of the best fit is 4.0).

The calculation you carry out = 0.5 * (Gradient of Steepest line - Gradient of shallowest line)

In our example, this is 0.5 * (1.4) = 0.7 (in the relevant units).
So we'll write that the gradient is 4.0 ± 0.7.

The marking scheme from a 2012 October/November paper probably puts this best:

"Uncertainties in Question 2

(c) (iii) Gradient [U2]

Uncertainty = gradient of line of best fit – gradient of worst acceptable line

Uncertainty = ½ (steepest worst line gradient – shallowest worst line gradient)"

So really, either method is accepted as long as you make it clear which one you are using.

Good Luck with all your exams!

thanks a lot man!!!

Reaction score
PAPER5 doubts,
So for question 2, we obtained gradient and y-intercept, the questions after that, are we suppose to use raw gradient and y-intercept in calculations, or the round up gradient and y-intercept? Thanks guys!

Reaction score
Which formula could be correct for the speed v of the ocean waves in terms of the density p of sea water, the acceleration of free fall g, the depth of the ocean h and the wavelength, lambda?
This is from paper 1...and the answer is v=underoot (g x lambda)...but HOW?

Reaction score
PAPER5 doubts,
So for question 2, we obtained gradient and y-intercept, the questions after that, are we suppose to use raw gradient and y-intercept in calculations, or the round up gradient and y-intercept? Thanks guys!
Always use raw
And please do help with my question! thanks

Reaction score
PAPER5 doubts,
This is of paper 5
when we throw a magnet in a vertical coil , how to make the speed uniform in all parts of its vertical motion? The markscheme says -
WHY? HOW?

Reaction score
This is from paper 1...and the answer is v=underoot (g x lambda)...but HOW?
If u Convert Quantities into Base Units.. The Check If Right Hand Side Equals LEFT hand Side..! If it does then Equation is true And Valid..! If u Couldn't The I would Explain Further :)!
Hope i Helped :)!

Reaction score
guys what are the formulas for calculating uncertainities in the table of Question 2 P5, and please help with the rest relative information too so that i must hav any problem solving those question. gradient uncertainities always go wrong

Reaction score
what is the word POT mean i am sick of seeing this in every paper

Attachments

• donal.jpg
    donal.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 24
Reaction score
This is of paper 5
WHY? HOW?
so that magnetic field lines are evenly spread out

Reaction score
meaning???
Are u asking me what FOX means then I have no idea either it's pretty annoying it normally in ms is in the answer for y intercepts so I guess it's ant using false origin axes like they don't use origin on graph for at least x axis and u read the graph at this point thinking it's the y intercept so then u do FOX error I guess.

For POT error it's like when u have to calculate gradients and those sly CIE people have put the unit for an axis as let's say on the x axis they put mass/10^-6 kg. and in gradient calculation u forget this and don't include 10^-6 then u have done POT error and normally they do allow ecf for both POT and FOX but in some cases they don't.