• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics: pressure and temp. help?

Reaction score
Temperature and pressure are directly proportional to each other right???
So how come on question no 6 b (ii) :http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/CIE/Cambridge IGCSE/Physics (0625)/0625_w09_qp_32.pdf
"The temperature of the air in the cylinder is increased. State how, if at all, the pressure of the air changes as the temperature changes."
the answer should be: the pressure increases right? but the right ans. is no change. I'm confused....:confused:

Reaction score
Temperature and pressure are directly proportional to each other right???
So how come on question no 6 b (ii) :http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/CIE/Cambridge IGCSE/Physics (0625)/0625_w09_qp_32.pdf
"The temperature of the air in the cylinder is increased. State how, if at all, the pressure of the air changes as the temperature changes."
the answer should be: the pressure increases right? but the right ans. is no change. I'm confused....:confused:
Pressure law states that: The pressure of a fixed mass of gas is directly proportional to it's absolute temperature if the volume is kept constant.
Now since in the first part of the question b(I) it says that the the volume of the air increases due to the temperature according to Charles law so the pressure remains the same because the volume is not constant.
Or u can explain urself this way the volume increases so the pressure decreases but due to the rise in temp the pressure also increases so overall it doesn't change.
I hope I'm not to confusing and u get it ............?

Reaction score
Pressure law states that: The pressure of a fixed mass of gas is directly proportional to it's absolute temperature if the volume is kept constant.
Now since in the first part of the question b(I) it says that the the volume of the air increases due to the temperature according to Charles law so the pressure remains the same because the volume is not constant.
Or u can explain urself this way the volume increases so the pressure decreases but due to the rise in temp the pressure also increases so overall it doesn't change.
I hope I'm not to confusing and u get it ............?

Oh. a little confusing, but I think, I kind of get it. well physics isn't really my best subject.
anyway, thanks a ton! :D