• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Please help....Fractional Distillation

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
Assalamoalaikum-wa-rehmatullah-i-wa-barakatuh,
Can somebody explain me this part of syllabus:"seperation of petroleum into useful fractions by fractional distillation"
and "distillation (including use of fractionating column). (Refer to the fractional distillation of crude oil (section 14.2) and products of fermentation (section 14.6))"
Please help if u have any notes or anything because i cant make out what actually do they require!
JazakAllah Khairan!
May Allah grant us all with success in this world as well as the HereAfter,Aameen!!

Reaction score
You need to know about the extraction of different fractions of crude oil such as Fuel gas,Naptha,paraffin,petrol,diesel,lubricants and bitumen it must be somewhere in your textbook at the beginning of organic chemistry

Reaction score
Math_angel said:
Assalamoalaikum-wa-rehmatullah-i-wa-barakatuh,
Can somebody explain me this part of syllabus:"seperation of petroleum into useful fractions by fractional distillation"
and "distillation (including use of fractionating column). (Refer to the fractional distillation of crude oil (section 14.2) and products of fermentation (section 14.6))"
Please help if u have any notes or anything because i cant make out what actually do they require!
JazakAllah Khairan!
May Allah grant us all with success in this world as well as the HereAfter,Aameen!!

Wa Alikum Assalam Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh ,

Fractional distillation is the Separation of a mixture of miscible substances , the best example for Fractional Distillation would be that of water and Ethanol

it is a famous one Click here for the image , it will appear BLACK over here , PNG background effect ¬¬"

The Mixture is heated gently , Ethanol reaches its boiling point (82C) which is less than that of pure water ( 100 C ) , and the fractionating column in the laboratory would be Glass Beads , if any water evaporates with Ethanol it is condensed back into the Flask , and Ethanol Evaporates , passes through the condenser which condenses it ( Cold water is run in that condenser ) and it runs down to the other flask which contains Pure Ethanol.

Almost all what you need to know about the fractional distillation of Crude Oil ( or Petroleum ) is how is it done , uses of its fractions , the advantages and disadvantages of it ( if they are in the book or syllabus ) and the diagram of it of course .

Hope I helped , Peace~!

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
Yes,JazakAllah khairan,
Almost all what you need to know about the fractional distillation of Crude Oil ( or Petroleum ) is how is it done
It would be great if u can spare afew min. and write about how it is done!!
JazkAllah Khairan! :)

Reaction score
Math_angel said:
Yes,JazakAllah khairan,
Almost all what you need to know about the fractional distillation of Crude Oil ( or Petroleum ) is how is it done
It would be great if u can spare afew min. and write about how it is done!!
JazkAllah Khairan! :)

Jazaana Wa Eyakoum

Fractional Distillation of Crude Oil .... ¬¬ okay... I will try

Crude_Oil_Distillation.png

Crude oil is a mixture of organic substances , each substance differs from the other in physical change points , it is heated to 400C , to make sure all the substances are Liquid , then the substances with boiling points lower than 400 C rise up and each meets its Fractional Level , While other fractions with boiling points Higher than the substance rising meet the fractional column and condenses down on it , remaining in its fractional level , that happens for each fraction , later then Each fraction is pumped or thrown out to be stored in containers , or re-distilled again to ensure purity of substance.

The fractions are divided as following :

• Gas , C1 to C4 , separated into the fuels , methane , ethane, propane and butane , a gas.. obviously
    Petrol ( aka Gasoline ), C5 to C6 , used as fuel for cars , A liquid
    Naphtha , C6 to C10 , used as a starting point for many chemicals and plastics , A liquid
    Paraffin ( aka Kerosene ), C10 to C15 , used as fuel for aircraft , oil stoves and lamps , A liquid
    Diesel, C15 to C20 , Used as a fuel for Diesel Engines , A liquid
    Fuel oil , C20 to C30 , used as a fuel for power stations and ships , and for heating systems , A liquid
    Lubricating fraction, C30 to C50 , used as oil for car engines , machinery and waxes and polishes , A Thick heavy liquid
    Bitumen , C50+ , used in road surfaces and roofs. A solid

Boiling Points and Liquid's Thickness ( Viscosity ) increase by the increase of carbon atoms in the molecules ... in other words , larger the molecules the thicker , heavier and more viscous the fraction

Hope I helped.