• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Plz can anyone discuss Further maths P1 ?

Reaction score
It was averagely a tough paper since it had lots of long calculations involving inverse of matrices and vectors.....specially the complex no question was quite tough......Plz can anyone share his/her ans with me so that we can judge how well we did in that exam????

Reaction score
The complex number question was really hard indeed, it was quite different from the other questions in past papers involving complex numbers. And I absolutely hated the one on induction, I had no freaking idea what to do... I was quite disappointed actually, I expected to do better on this paper...

Reaction score
i was also quite disappointed....bcz tyari kafi thi but paper didnt go that gud......... complex nai hua...aur summation wala i dnt knw y last minute tak samjh he nai aya... aur jab aya tau time up......... induction i think sahih ho gai hai...... wat do u think will be the grade threshold............???

Reaction score
yar what i think is I havent seen anyone very happy after p1... everyone has made some blunders anywhere in the paper.....so threshold might be at 70-73 what
do u think?
wat abt rest of the people in ur centre what was their response??

Reaction score
One of my friends did the exam and he told the paper was ok
he also told that the complex number question was hard

Reaction score
there were only 10 ppl at my ctr.............. only one ov them complted the whole ppr ....dn knw how he did it........the rest were quite unhappy......... yes i think A shud be at 70-73............... i do expect a max of 70-75........... aur minimum ka kuch keh nai sakta................... i dont remeber most of my ans....... vectors were easy but lengthy....... i dnt remember the ans........ but proving intersection was vry easy....... and the dist of point frm plane ...i used the formula......... and for the last i took a gnrl point on the line..... then the eq of gnrl pnt to the other point........... calculted the constantt and then dist....... u remember any answers...... ??

Reaction score
Yeah i remember sme that i hav confirmed with sme other gud people as well.....in 1st ques derivative was 3 and sec deriv. was -4/27....in sequence qs 1st ans was 1/6 and nxt was 0...polynomials was easy...in vectors distances were in decimals and lambda for gen point on line in last part was sme fraction with 29 in denominator..in matrices eigen value was 3 and eigen vctor was 1,-4,-4...cmplex was vry tough specially last parts ....in echelon ques final soln was 1/3,5/12,1/4....and finally in differential eq values of A and B in comp function was 1 and 1/6....

Reaction score
got the same ans .......... yes lambda had denominator 29........... i think 21/29 or sumthin like that .......... i did 12 0r

Reaction score
then yar we both did well...thank god the paper didnt go that bad that i thought .....per P2 boht difficult hota ha us k lye yar kuch btao k kya kya jae?? i knw u wil say k do pastpprs per P2 ki marksscheme 2008 se pehle available nae aur exa.report mein kabi kabi full exp. nae hoti..I am vry worried yar abt P2...

Reaction score
My exam went good but it could have went better. Just as I got out of the room I realized that the series question should have been done by using the method of differences. I lost 6 marks there. Probably another 6 in the complex numbers one. I didn't practice enough for reducing a differential equation so another 2 marks in 11 Either. So a MAXIMUM of 86 marks which is good enough (though a mark in the 90s would have assured an A). I hope it doesn't go lower than 80 though.

Also, did anyone get the first part of the one with the system of equations correct? What was the set of values of a? I put a > 18 only but was there also an upper limit?

Reaction score
ppl plz do reply and share ur ans and views abt the exam...there r so many views bt only vry few are replying...

Reaction score
1. Differentiaition. x'' = 4/27
2. Polar Co-ordinates. Area was to be shown.
3. Applications of Integration. Part I was to be shown and part ii was 128pi(underoot 2)/5
4. Summation of Series. Got it wrong but I heard that first part was 1/6 or something.
5. Reduction method and Induction. Both parts were to be proven.
6. Roots of Polynomials. Don't remember properly but answers were something like 6 and 1.
7. Vectors. First part to be shown, second part was 1.14 and third part was 2.44.
8. Matrices. Eigenvalue was 3, eigenvector was (-1, 4, 4) and don't remember the inverse but it contained a lot of fractions.
9. Complex Numbers. First part was e^i(2kpi/5) for k = 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and second part was 2e^(4pi/3 + 2kpi) for k = 0, 1, 2, 3, 4. No idea about the last part.
10. Systematic reduction of equations. a > 18 for the first part and the last part was in fractions. (z = 1/4 i think)
11 Either. Differential Equations. A = 1 and B = 1/6

Anyone agree or disagree?

Reaction score
i completely agree man i got the same ans ....thanks for sharing....yar mein ne bhi in cmplex ques argument 4pi/5 lya ha sme as u per kuch ppl keh rahe thay k it has to be -2pi/3 wat do u thnk are we both right ?hav u cnfirmed it?

Reaction score
It could be either 4pi/3 or -2pi/3. They're the same thing. This is because the complex number lied in the third quadrant.

And nice to see that you got the same answers :p

What about question 10. Was there also an upper limit for a or was it only a > 18?

Also, you asked about my view of the exam. I thought that it was pretty much the same as 2008 and 2009 papers, meaning majority questions being straightforward and one or two being quite difficult. I don't know a single person who did all of the complex question correctly. People also messed up in Series, System of Equations and Induction. An A would be around 73-77 I guess.

Reaction score
in ques 10 i also wrote a greater than 18 as ans. but yar sme ppl are saying a not equal to 18 was ans....wat do u think are we both correct or those ppl saying a not equal to18???

Reaction score
If I remember correctly, in the reduced echelon form the second term of the second row was a-8 and the third term of the third row was 2a-36. Both of them needed to be non-zero if the equations were to have a unique solution. On the lower limit, one gives a>8 and the other a>18, so we choose that one. I think there also should have been a upper limit such as a<8 which also gives non-zero for both. In any case, a =/= 18 cannot be the correct answer since the question asked for a set of values.

Reaction score
Please, can anyone recall the equation in the roots of polynomial question, as i am getting different ans frm u guyz, please tell me that equation.
and the paper was a normal one, i couldnt do the series one, time ran out, beside that the complex one was a bit difficult, i could only prove the denominator in its last part.
and what were the total marks for the summation of series question?

Reaction score
summation of series were i think 7 marks .... and i lost them all...... :p........ complex ka sirf first part kia....... i did 11OR ...the asymptotes one.......... for polynomials i dnt remeber the ans............. in system of equations i was confused as well bcz range of values main samjh nai arahi thi k a<18 hai yan a>18 ........ aur dusri a<8 hai yan a>8 .................. and how did u prove that it had no solution...... i was getting 0+0+0=-5 so i wrote no solution....................
aur infinite show krne k liye i got X= Xo + k(e)........ and as we change k we get diff values.. then i calculated k for the given condition x+y+z=1........... and then gave the solution...... and yes it was in fractions............
i hope i get 75... bcz im better at p2 and hope InshAllah i get an A overall if i get abt 75 in this

Reaction score
The series question was of 7 marks. As for the polynomial one, I don't recall them fully but I remember 4, 1 and 6 or something along those lines.

ajmaeen, the reason why there were no solutions was because the third row was 0x+0y+0z= -5 which is true for not a single value of x, y and z so hence there are no solutions. In the infinite solutions part, 0x+0y+0z=0 which can be true for an infinite amount of x, y and z hence infinite solutions.

Reaction score
thnx........ how did ppl do at ure ctr.?? all ov my class mates didnt do that gud.... except one who cmplted it.......... and i talked to my teacher and he said tht mst of his students at other skuls did really gud....