• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

prepare for GP

Reaction score
Re: prepare fo GP

Although i dont have gp as a subject anymore right now yet i can give a few tips.
Firstly, get a copy of the CIE syllabus.
Than go through it completely. CIE has a list in it which i recommend you look into. Just see how many topics you know, how many are new and etc. Once you know that there are so many things you didnt know about, go research on them. Sit on your computer and get authentic sites to get your info. Also look into the past papers and solve them. Get your english teacher to mark your practice essays. Once your done with that list, you'll see that you have fairly a vast diverse amount of knowledge. Take your writing skills and just go on writing. Tick the things you dont know from the past papers and research. If you follow this plan, at the end you'd have knowledge on many topics and your writing would have been perfected.

Reaction score

General Paper is one of the hardest to get an A in.

You really need to know how to write an argument well (thinking skills techniques apply here)
Strong vocabulary (strong but relevant also)
Factual evidence needs to be there to serve as a foundation for ur explanations otherwise you'll get a B maximum

So applied knowledge with strong argumentative skills is the key here

It's not too hard, but requires lots of practice and reading around.

Reaction score

I always thought General Paper was an easy subject to get an A in, guess I'm wrong though. But anyway, I suppose you should have a good book with you. I agree it requires good argumentative skills too.

I dropped the subject, but sort of regret doing that since the teacher we have at our school is pretty awesome from what I've heard. :(

Reaction score

No, I didn't use any particular book and studied on my own. I did thinking skills, world geography, economics among the A levels that I have currently done. So these three subjects pretty much gave me everything that I needed for gp, facts, argument skills.

However, as u've said u have a good teacher then I suggest u take it. It isn't hard to manage.

Reaction score

i dont think it is easy to get A B even C from the student who is using second language as a english.
any way practicing may leads to B.
so i needs extra tips from u so that i can go for upto B (min)

Reaction score
you mean more that 6 paras. well we were taught to write about 7-8 paras of course keeping to the word limit. and it's true for those using english as a second language to get a minimum of b grade but by luck if you really study you could get an A nothing is impossible. just never aim too high and never get too disappointed.

Reaction score
i have to agree it's a bit tough but if you practice it's actually quite easy that's why it's only for as and not a level. it just requires your thinking skills and yeaa the use of english.

Reaction score
what is the difference between advantages and importance??
for example question is like this
Q.n 1. what is the importance of tourism industry in your country??
Q.n 2 what is the advantages of tourism industry in your country??

so in importance what things should we have to include and for advantages what are the possibles answers?

Reaction score
importance is like why is it so precious and that you should have it. advantage is like the good things it will give if you have it.

importance of tourism industry :
-to promote culture of a certain society
-side income for the country

advantages of tourism industry :
-better job-opportunities
-increases economic of a certain country

well you can actually find these in wiki or any news articles. my tutor told us not to depend on wiki since the information could be false but that all depends on you. i really like to read news articles but then again it all depends on you

Reaction score
i have been scoring b in internal exams in the college, so, i would recommend going for some recent topical studies like need for environment management, conservation of biodiversity, recession and mitigating policies, energy crisis, reuse and recycle, euthanasia, and other topics that are talk of the town. You can then collect facts, statistics, research reports and local national and international examples that could fit into your essays. Do not use too much of details; maintain consistsency; coherence among the paragraphs; use of quotations at the beginning would be perfect. You for sure will score a 'b' provided that u are on topic along with the mentioned tips. :)

Reaction score
@hemant1 i have troubles relating quotes with essays -.- can you give me tips like how to relate the right quote for the right essay?

Reaction score
yubakkk said:
what is the difference between advantages and importance??
for example question is like this
Q.n 1. what is the importance of tourism industry in your country??
Q.n 2 what is the advantages of tourism industry in your country??

so in importance what things should we have to include and for advantages what are the possibles answers?

a very simple way to understand the difference is to take the example of medicines. While they may be bitter(that is a disadvantage for the one used to exquisite cuisine), they are important for the person to heal. so advantage and important are separate. similarly, while it's not important for you to read english newspapers, it will definitely be an advantage to you for GP exams!
Hope i helped a bit :)