• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Private candidate subject confusion

Reaction score
I am gonna do A levels privately through British Council in the UAE. I contacted them to ask which subjects they offered but they told me that the details of the subjects available for May/June 2015 through British Council will be available only by end of Dec 2014. I checked out the subjects on their registration forms that they had put out for the October/November 2014 session in both Dubai and Abu Dhabi to get some idea. I asked the guy what I can do about the coursework and practicals required for Physics 9702, Computing 9691 and Literature in English 9695 and he told me "Most of the papers will have an alternative to practical/coursework. You may choose those options." I am confused by this statement. I'll lay it out for you below as I understood it:

I want to do Literature in English 9695 and these are the components offered at British Council:
AS:
22: Composition
92: Poetry, Prose, Drama
A2:
32: Poetry and Prose
42: Drama
52: Shakespeare & Other Pre -20th Century Texts
62: 20th Century Texts
72: Comment & Appreciation
66: June ’14 AS Mark C/F
67: Nov’13 AS Mark C/F
88: Paper 8 Mark C/F
Since coursework is optional, does this mean I can do the other components required and get it done?

Now, Physics 9702:
A2:
42: A2 Structured Questions
52: Planning, Analysis and Evaluation
66: June’14 AS Mark C/F
(Information for AS isn't available for Oct/Nov, only A2 and whole A level
confused.gif
)
What does this mean? Is there a certain alternative paper I can do for Physics which will satisfy the requirement for a practical exam or what?

As for Computing 9691:
AS:
12: Written Paper
22: Written Paper
A2:
32: Written Paper
84: June ‘14 Paper 4 Mark C/F
94: Nov’ 13 Paper 4 Mark C/F
But on the CIE website, it says the A level Computing Syllabus is not available to private candidates. Are there any alternatives? Have any of you taken these subjects privately?

Reaction score
Salam ,aaaa basically i am replying bcz we share the same name and country of residence ,and guess what, i am doing alevels privately as well and also took a tour of the british council in dubai ! So its like afarz to reply to u :p however mainstreaming to your issue here ,you should firstly know that the Bc in dubai or AD will not offer any sort of help in getting u prepared for your exam ( in some countries they do ) .moreover for eng.lit as there is a alternative to course work i guess u can take that paper as it is supposed to be the substitue for course work ,it should get u the grade . Well ,this was the only answer i could give u and i answered it to the best of my knowledge .
And i havent taken any of the subs u have taken in alevels. i am taking sociology ,islamiyat and psychology .
P.s if you need any other sort of help pls feel free to contact me ,ill do my best to help u out as we are both private candidates from the uae ;)

Reaction score
Salam ,aaaa basically i am replying bcz we share the same name and country of residence ,and guess what, i am doing alevels privately as well and also took a tour of the british council in dubai ! So its like afarz to reply to u :p however mainstreaming to your issue here ,you should firstly know that the Bc in dubai or AD will not offer any sort of help in getting u prepared for your exam ( in some countries they do ) .moreover for eng.lit as there is a alternative to course work i guess u can take that paper as it is supposed to be the substitue for course work ,it should get u the grade . Well ,this was the only answer i could give u and i answered it to the best of my knowledge .
And i havent taken any of the subs u have taken in alevels. i am taking sociology ,islamiyat and psychology .
P.s if you need any other sort of help pls feel free to contact me ,ill do my best to help u out as we are both private candidates from the uae ;)

Heyy Numra! Thanks for responding :D haha yes we do! Where you from? I'm from Pakistan. Yes, I'm aware they won't help me out. :unsure: Alright, I guess that does make sense. Thanks, anyway :) I sure will! Do you know any other people who are doing it privately?

Reaction score
For Literature in English: In A2, Papers 32, 42 and 52 are compulsory, and you have to choose to do either 62, 72 or 82. Paper 82 is coursework, which means you can give either 62 or 72 in place of 82.
For Physics: No, you can't do an alternative to practical for Physics. The practical paper is compulsory.
For Computer Studies: This syllabus isn't available to private candidates, but the AICT (9713) syllabus is. You can give that.

Reaction score
For Literature in English: In A2, Papers 32, 42 and 52 are compulsory, and you have to choose to do either 62, 72 or 82. Paper 82 is coursework, which means you can give either 62 or 72 in place of 82.
For Physics: No, you can't do an alternative to practical for Physics. The practical paper is compulsory.
For Computer Studies: This syllabus isn't available to private candidates, but the AICT (9713) syllabus is. You can give that.

Hi DarkEclipse! Ok, thanks for clearing that one out for me. As for Physics, what should I do, then? Try to contact a local school?
I guess a better alternative to computing would be the new Computer Science one, do you know it?

Reaction score
Hi DarkEclipse! Ok, thanks for clearing that one out for me. As for Physics, what should I do, then? Try to contact a local school?
I guess a better alternative to computing would be the new Computer Science one, do you know it?
I don't know about the Computer Science thing, sorry :(
Yeah, try contacting a local school and see if they let you appear for Physics.

Reaction score
I am gonna do A levels privately through British Council in the UAE. I contacted them to ask which subjects they offered but they told me that the details of the subjects available for May/June 2015 through British Council will be available only by end of Dec 2014. I checked out the subjects on their registration forms that they had put out for the October/November 2014 session in both Dubai and Abu Dhabi to get some idea. I asked the guy what I can do about the coursework and practicals required for Physics 9702, Computing 9691 and Literature in English 9695 and he told me "Most of the papers will have an alternative to practical/coursework. You may choose those options." I am confused by this statement. I'll lay it out for you below as I understood it:

I want to do Literature in English 9695 and these are the components offered at British Council:
AS:
22: Composition
92: Poetry, Prose, Drama
A2:
32: Poetry and Prose
42: Drama
52: Shakespeare & Other Pre -20th Century Texts
62: 20th Century Texts
72: Comment & Appreciation
66: June ’14 AS Mark C/F
88: Paper 8 Mark C/F
Since coursework is optional, does this mean I can do the other components required and get it done?

Now, Physics 9702:
A2:
42: A2 Structured Questions
52: Planning, Analysis and Evaluation
66: June’14 AS Mark C/F
(Information for AS isn't available for Oct/Nov, only A2 and whole A level
confused.gif
)
What does this mean? Is there a certain alternative paper I can do for Physics which will satisfy the requirement for a practical exam or what?

As for Computing 9691:
AS:
A2:
32: Written Paper
84: June ‘14 Paper 4 Mark C/F
94: Nov’ 13 Paper 4 Mark C/F
But on the CIE website, it says the A level Computing Syllabus is not available to private candidates. Are there any alternatives? Have any of you taken these subjects privately?
HEEYY!!
I am also from Pakistan,living in Sharjah. Me too,doing A levels through British council Dubai, Opting for 1subject only i.e; BUSINESS STUDIES:D
Is it enough to do ALevels in 1 subject? As am doing job in the morning?
Also, am it afraid as its the first time am doing studies privately not much confident what outcome ill get.. :/

Reaction score
HEEYY!!
I am also from Pakistan,living in Sharjah. Me too,doing A levels through British council Dubai, Opting for 1subject only i.e; BUSINESS STUDIES:D
Is it enough to do ALevels in 1 subject? As am doing job in the morning?
Also, am it afraid as its the first time am doing studies privately not much confident what outcome ill get.. :/
FOR UAE:
you need a minimum of 5 O'levels with a minimum grade of C and 2 A'levels to graduate