• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Pysics Paper 31 (Discussion only)

Reaction score
unplugged said:
One of the funnier questions. About why the decay rate of the radioactive sample was considered constant. what did you answer.

I multiplied the Value by 3

because it took 3 years to come to that Activity

Reaction score
unplugged said:
One of the funnier questions. About why the decay rate of the radioactive sample was considered constant. what did you answer.
Yeah. Decay is supposed to be random. I wrote it disintegrated the same type particles. or something like that. Got it wrong I think

Reaction score
Time , weight of the object and height the object is lifted to. And of course , stop watch , balance and ruler/measuring tape.

Reaction score
Yea , that is wrong me thinks. The half life was like 3 x 10^8 or some crap , so it was too long to bother anyone.

Reaction score
WayneRooney10 said:
That question, i can't remember what I did. Anyway, what did you get for that tsunami question, the last part. Warning time. I got 2256seconds. or something like that.
For that one i wrote it in mins and seconds , do u think ill get marked down?

unplugged said:
I wrote since it has a long half life , the rate of radioactivity will remain constant throughout the whole experiment ..... hope thats right

Reaction score
Yarr , the value / 2^3 was 15 so 3 half lifes needed to pass before the decay rate was 15.

Reaction score
Ahmooosh said:
WayneRooney10 said:
That question, i can't remember what I did. Anyway, what did you get for that tsunami question, the last part. Warning time. I got 2256seconds. or something like that.
For that one i wrote it in mins and seconds , do u think ill get marked down?

unplugged said:
I wrote since it has a long half life , the rate of radioactivity will remain constant throughout the whole experiment ..... hope thats right
I dont think you'll get marked down.

Reaction score
WayneRooney10 said:
What about teh fibre optic question. Why are they so thin?

it was like why were they in large numbers , i wrote incase one of them breaks :p u can still see whats inside .... desperate times call for desperate answers ;p

Reaction score
WayneRooney10 said:
I wrote so they can get into narrow places. I mean , there was a mention of some medical usage in the question. Possibly an Anal tube >_> , so they would need to be rather small.

Reaction score
unplugged said:
WayneRooney10 said:
I wrote so they can get into narrow places. I mean , there was a mention of some medical usage in the question. Possibly an Anal tube >_> , so they would need to be rather small.
haha! I wrote the same. So that they can get into narrow places.

Reaction score
Ahmooosh said:
WayneRooney10 said:

it was like why were they in large numbers , i wrote incase one of them breaks :p u can still see whats inside .... desperate times call for desperate answers ;p
Hmm...Might be correct. But if it breaks, the patient is a goner. lol

Reaction score
The question about why the radioactive sample wouldn't have the same name afterwards. I kinda of made the assumption that the radiation was Beta , so neutrons would be decaying.

Reaction score
i wrote because depending on the type of decay , it can lose a proton and/or a neutron , so the name would change.

Reaction score
:/
You know, for the first question. Where did your line start? like, at 0? mine began at 1.2 N on the y axis.

Reaction score
Well , now that i think about it. Sadly the name won't change if the radiation was beta. Because neutron decays , producing a proton , an anti-neutrino and an electron. So the number of stuff in the nueclus won't change. It would be a different isotope but i can't recall if that was indeed the neutron number next to it. Might have been. But if it was alpha radiation , 2 protons and 2 neutrons would be lost and the name would definitely change. To some different substance entirely.