• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Question about the grading system from IGCSEs

Reaction score
I've heard from a few teachers that there is a certain minimum mark that you need to score in every paper in order to qualify for an overall A. For example, at least 33/40 for Paper 1, at least 55/80 for Paper 3 and at least 30/40 for Paper 5 in order to be able to get an overall A. Is this the way it really works?

Does this mean that even if I manage to meet the overall requirement for an A after all of the marks from my 3 papers are added together, I will still get a B if I don't meet the grade requirement for one of my papers?

Reaction score
Its not necessary to get As in all of the components. You can end up with a B in Paper 3 ( or many other cases) and still get overall A/A*. Its the overall marks which decides the grade.

Reaction score
Its not necessary to get As in all of the components. You can end up with a B in Paper 3 ( or many other cases) and still get overall A/A*. Its the overall marks which decides the grade.

Do they grade the exam according to difficulty or do they have set percentages for an A*/A/B etc?? like between (80-89 = A ) and (90-100= A*)...Does it keep varying?

Reaction score
Do they grade the exam according to difficulty or do they have set percentages for an A*/A/B etc?? like between (80-89 = A ) and (90-100= A*)...Does it keep varying?

It varies depending on how everyone does once Cambridge has marked all the papers

For example, if people generally do very well in lets say Maths, then the paper was quite easy, and the minimum mark for a particular grade will increase. If everyone does poorly, then it was a bit hard and the minimum mark decreases

It's called the grade thresholds, here is last year's Maths one so you can see what I mean:

http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/CIE/Cambridge IGCSE/Mathematics (0580)/0580_w11_gt.pdf

Reaction score
It varies depending on how everyone does once Cambridge has marked all the papers

For example, if people generally do very well in lets say Maths, then the paper was quite easy, and the minimum mark for a particular grade will increase. If everyone does poorly, then it was a bit hard and the minimum mark decreases

It's called the grade thresholds, here is last year's Maths one so you can see what I mean:

http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/CIE/Cambridge IGCSE/Mathematics (0580)/0580_w11_gt.pdf
hw they convert to 200? so for ex if for A* its 160 ...does this mean i can lose 40 marks???