• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Quick Chemistry doubt about moles!

Reaction score
When we calculate the number of moles in a 6 step question, and we round it to 2 sf, but in the marking scheme it rounds it to 3 sf, would we get marks for it, or not? Because in my exam I rounded it to 2sf, so the final answer was 1% higher than everyone elses...

Reaction score
When we calculate the number of moles in a 6 step question, and we round it to 2 sf, but in the marking scheme it rounds it to 3 sf, would we get marks for it, or not? Because in my exam I rounded it to 2sf, so the final answer was 1% higher than everyone elses...
i think u lose marks because 2 sig figure is not accurate for experiments..i thiiink not sure how will the examiner deal with ur situation

Reaction score
i think u lose marks because 2 sig figure is not accurate for experiments..i thiiink not sure how will the examiner deal with ur situation
Oh man :/ How much marks would I lose exactly? Each question was 1 mark! The total marks were like 8 marks!

Reaction score
How to prepare for chemistry practical paper 34, in the last week?

Reaction score
No actually I was talking about paper 21 - The number of moles question... I'm taking 32 in a week
ohhh that one..i think they will mark u on the method not the answer..so u might just lose the last mark for the percentage if u r inaccurate and stuff but it was gonna..if u did the correct methods then the examiner will understand that u know whats going on so to be fair u deserve marks on that..got me ?

Reaction score
ohhh that one..i think they will mark u on the method not the answer..so u might just lose the last mark for the percentage if u r inaccurate and stuff but it was gonna..if u did the correct methods then the examiner will understand that u know whats going on so to be fair u deserve marks on that..got me ?
Yup I did the correct method on each and every question, but when the answer was 0.79, i rounded it to 0.8 and so on. The only thing I rounded to 3 sf was the last bit. Everyone got like 43.3 or 43.4 while I got 44.6

Reaction score
Yup I did the correct method on each and every question, but when the answer was 0.79, i rounded it to 0.8 and so on. The only thing I rounded to 3 sf was the last bit. Everyone got like 43.3 or 43.4 while I got 44.6
no worries u might just lose a mark for not being accurate in ur answers...we all did silly mistakes in the paper. what did u write for the units for the pressure expression

Reaction score
no worries u might just lose a mark for not being accurate in ur answers...we all did silly mistakes in the paper. what did u write for the units for the pressure expression
I don't remember sorry... If you remember the number of moles on each side of the equation, then I can solve it again. I think it was Pa?

Reaction score
I don't remember sorry... If you remember the number of moles on each side of the equation, then I can solve it again. I think it was Pa?
yeah i did the same mistake "pa" it was supposed to be Kpa because the units where given KPA not pa..tricky question :(

Reaction score
Units for the pressure expression was "atm-1"
Atm-1

Reaction score
Units for the pressure expression was "atm-1"
Atm-1
It can't be, because there are 6 + 4 moles on the right side, and 5 + 4 moles on the left side. If it had to be in atm then it would be atm not atm^-1. But isn't it in Pa? The question was in Pa I was sure :(

Reaction score
It can't be, because there are 6 + 4 moles on the right side, and 5 + 4 moles on the left side. If it had to be in atm then it would be atm not atm^-1. But isn't it in Pa? The question was in Pa I was sure :(
unfortunately Kilo pa

Reaction score
It was 9moles in the left hand side(denominator), and 8moles in the right hand side(numerator).
This is what I can remember.
Regarding the unit, atm and pa are both correct. But not sure about Kpa.

Reaction score
It was 9moles in the left hand side(denominator), and 8moles in the right hand side(numerator).
This is what I can remember.
Regarding the unit, atm and pa are both correct. But not sure about Kpa.
We'll just have to wait and see, but I'm pretty sure I double triple checked number of moles
EDIT: I asked my friends that took the exam, and we all wrote Pa because it's 10 on right, 9 on left