• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Regarding Computer Science exam..

Reaction score
I am concerned about which programming language to use when doing the computer science examination paper 2, is it VB, C++, Python or so? :)

another question: A long story happened, but I ended up going for computer science for as level. I know I have around 2.5 months left, I am concerned will I be able to finish the syllabus in this period of time? adding that I will work hard and do my ultimate best to study CS.
Many people called me stupid for taking such a decision, so please I received enough negative comment, I just want your help guys. :unsure:

Reaction score
In addition I want to ask which Book to use, is it Computing book? or there is a specific book for computer science?

Reaction score
Hi bro, don't get tensed you can do it. :) What you gotta do is, cover up the theory by looking up the syllabus and following it as many chapters of advanced theory in previous computing are in the beginning theory of the computer science such as databases and some of data representation stuff. After looking syllabus read the relevant chapters from old computing book. For some of the new chapters you have to research like images, videos and sound but you will get through them. They only include some formulas for calculating file sizes and a bit of theoretical concepts. For programming, I would prefer you do visual basic as it's close to pseudocode that you might have done if you have taken computer studies in igcse's and secondly I kind of find it a bit more user friendly than pascal and delphi integrated development environments. Python is cool, :D hell youtube is made on it but if you are new to learning a programming language i would not recommend it to you as it does not include declarations and stuff, it directly interprets and executes. It would complicate some concepts for you. If you are still willing to do python you would have to include comments for declarations of variables. C++ isn't included in new computer science syllabus. See the syllabus, the only allowed languages are Python, Pascal/Delphi and Visual Basic(Console Mode) not graphical mode (i.e. windows form application) and one more language that I don't remember. And for programming use visual studio 2010 if you are opting for visual basic. Simply Download and install it. Well there has been no book published for computer science to date which is a lot frustrating. I too am angry about it, they are just saying they will publish it in the fall of 2015 which is of no use, atleast to me. Finally, It's not that tough, I mean don't feel down by the comments you have got, they are surely bias. People don't want to try something new because they just don't want to work, even a little. You can easily do it. Basically you and I are in the same boat somehow. ;) I am also giving CS but whole computer science A level (i.e Composite). FYI, I got a country distinction in my igcse's in computer last mayjune 2014 session :). Just telling it to you, to give you a bit of relaxation that you are getting all this information from a trustworthy resource. :) If you need any more help, do message me by all means. I would love to help. :)

Reaction score
Hi bro, don't get tensed you can do it. :) What you gotta do is, cover up the theory by looking up the syllabus and following it as many chapters of advanced theory in previous computing are in the beginning theory of the computer science such as databases and some of data representation stuff. After looking syllabus read the relevant chapters from old computing book. For some of the new chapters you have to research like images, videos and sound but you will get through them. They only include some formulas for calculating file sizes and a bit of theoretical concepts. For programming, I would prefer you do visual basic as it's close to pseudocode that you might have done if you have taken computer studies in igcse's and secondly I kind of find it a bit more user friendly than pascal and delphi integrated development environments. Python is cool, :D hell youtube is made on it but if you are new to learning a programming language i would not recommend it to you as it does not include declarations and stuff, it directly interprets and executes. It would complicate some concepts for you. If you are still willing to do python you would have to include comments for declarations of variables. C++ isn't included in new computer science syllabus. See the syllabus, the only allowed languages are Python, Pascal/Delphi and Visual Basic(Console Mode) not graphical mode (i.e. windows form application) and one more language that I don't remember. And for programming use visual studio 2010 if you are opting for visual basic. Simply Download and install it. Well there has been no book published for computer science to date which is a lot frustrating. I too am angry about it, they are just saying they will publish it in the fall of 2015 which is of no use, atleast to me. Finally, It's not that tough, I mean don't feel down by the comments you have got, they are surely bias. People don't want to try something new because they just don't want to work, even a little. You can easily do it. Basically you and I are in the same boat somehow. ;) I am also giving CS but whole computer science A level (i.e Composite). FYI, I got a country distinction in my igcse's in computer last mayjune 2014 session :). Just telling it to you, to give you a bit of relaxation that you are getting all this information from a trustworthy resource. :) If you need any more help, do message me by all means. I would love to help. :)

Thanks bro :D yeah in terms of theory thats exactly what I planned to do, for programming I guess I will stick to VB since I know it pretty well, but I find python as pretty cool yeah :X3: but lets not take the risk... Hopefully I can do it, thank you for your time bro :D I really appreciate your help, incase I face any problem Ima message you without hesitation :) good we are on the same boat somehow so we both can help each other. (In my school I am the only one whom applied for CS)
Good luck, may Allah bless you :)

Reaction score
I'm also one of those "fools" who opted for A Level CompSci despite having an A grade in AS Computing (because of the exciting programming part of the new course :p). So I will appreciate if anyone can provide me some worthwhile advice.

Last year, I was the only one in my school who chose Python over VB for Paper 2 (and learnt it independently)particularly because I disliked that "Basic" part of Visual Basic, and also because Python allows for much more freedom. So I'm pretty much comfortable with Python and want to carry that on for the Computer Science exam as well. But there are some constraints. Python does not have switch...case conditionals, the repeat...until loops and the arrays. Some questions specifically ask for programs in these structures, and the mark schemes gloss over the problem by not including the programs in Python. So what do I do now? Should I take the risk and carry on with Python or should I force myself to learn VB? Stefan Salvatore

Reaction score
Well Hi, yea the syllabus of computer science is a bit more exciting than the older computing because honestly speaking, the project (i.e. Paper 4 is brutally exhausting). I mean not that its impossible to do, but you have to find a client and do certain activities with him. TBH in 21st century no one has got such free time and we want to do things fast so not having to do the paper 4 of old computing is really relaxing, at least for me. :D Now coming back to your query, so you choose python over visual basic and are in a bit of predicament regarding the selection statements, the repeat until loops of python and let's not forget arrays. Well if you have done basic programming in python, you have got two options I mean either you could switch to visual basic now as the only main difference is visual basic include declarations and you don't have to write ":" to end each statement which makes life a bit easy. Although, if you think you have gone a bit far along the way with python and don't want to go back doing visual basic, its also ok. For selection statements in python you can easily do select case (aka switch case in python) and also if then else if. Only difference is that switch case statements have a bit different syntax. If you wanna find the syntax, either google it or see it in the book, I have included. Lastly, Repeat Until loop is almost replaced in every programming language by do .... loop until <condition>, so you have to do it that way. Only in pseudocode you can do it using repeat until loop if the question asks. Although, don't feel obligated to do it that way if question doesn't restricts you. Secondly, arrays are in python. I think so you have got on the wrong foot about python over here. It's just that they are implemented in a different way. You don't have to declare its bounds like e.g (identifier[15]) as python does not require it to be done, it adjusts the size itself. You simply have to write the array in this way (identifier[]) and python will automatically set the size according to the number of items you insert. Basically, I myself have done visual basic for both beginning and advanced programming of the syllabus and python for beginning programming. On my way to learn advance programming in python. As you know there is no Cambridge endorsed book for computer science or python so ,if you want to learn the syntax, commands, programs or any other thing related to python you should use this book that i have attached with it's file. The file contain activities of the book. Its a really nice book for absolute beginners. I too am reading this for learning python. Now i want to give you an opinion as i have been on both sides of the party, ;) if you are doing visual basic it would make life easier for you in advanced programming which includes object oriented programming, abstract data types and so on. In python, they are a bit complicated for a beginner as the syntax gets a bit tough but if you have some experience or are willing to work a bit hard, it doesn't really matter. If you are using python, i would recommend to use (PyCharm) which is python's IDE. But before rushing to a decision, do think about the idea of giving visual basic a try. Last but not least don't worry. :) You will get through it. If you want to ask any more thing, feel free to ask. :)

Links:
Book Link: http://www.mediafire.com/download/zod5iw2mqetaaj6/Python Programming for the Absolute Beginner, 3rd Edition -nelly-.pdf
Book Activity File Link: http://www.mediafire.com/download/9w168n976qpjvjy/python3thirdedition_bookfiles.zip

Last edited: