• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Retake Confusion...please HELP!

Reaction score
Last may/june, I sat for the AS of chemistry and did bad, so this may/june I am giving the entire A levels again (AS+A2). I just wanted to be sure whether my AS grade from last year is carried forward, in case I do worse this time in AS :p. I mean if I got a B last time, and a C this time, are they gonna use the B or C to calculate my final grade. I am doing the AY one. Anyone know anything about this? THANK YOU!

Reaction score
Last may/june, I sat for the AS of chemistry and did bad, so this may/june I am giving the entire A levels again (AS+A2). I just wanted to be sure whether my AS grade from last year is carried forward, in case I do worse this time in AS :p. I mean if I got a B last time, and a C this time, are they gonna use the B or C to calculate my final grade. I am doing the AY one. Anyone know anything about this? THANK YOU!
don't worry they will always take the highest grades u have achieved!

Reaction score
OOH gooood! :D hey is that for individual papers or the entire AS? if i did better last time only in 1 paper, are they gonna use that mark for that specific paper?

Reaction score
OOH gooood! :D hey is that for individual papers or the entire AS? if i did better last time only in 1 paper, are they gonna use that mark for that specific paper?
oh nope i don't think CIE treat it that way. they dont pick ur top marks from each component :p they either take the full AS u did last year with ur A2 u did this year or ur full AS u did this year with the A2 u did this year. but not some papers from last year and some from this year

Reaction score
oh nope i don't think CIE treat it that way. they dont pick ur top marks from each component :p they either take the full AS u did last year with ur A2 u did this year or ur full AS u did this year with the A2 u did this year. but not some papers from last year and some from this year

well crap. :notworthy:

Reaction score
Dude...keep praying...CIE are a bunch of------------ so we should just pray for their Hadaya...Allah Yahdeehm! Aameen Ya Rab!!

Reaction score
Not to disappoint you or anything, but I don't think CIE will 'choose' your best grade.
I'm giving my A2 exams right now, and it clearly states on my statement of entry under each subject code: 'June AS mark carried forward'.
So you had to specify when you were registering: do you wan't to use your AS score from last year or not?
So either you use this year's AS or last year's AS result; you can't choose!
But don't worry. If you've prepared for the A2 syllabus, I can guarantee that your AS this year will be better. So you made the right choice giving it again. You even have the experience of taking an AS exam before this one, so your chances are as high as ever!
Cheers!

Reaction score
Sorry to disappoint the above poster.

A friend of mine did biology AS and got a B and she then resat during her A2 and got a C, here overall grade was an A.

They carried forward the B and added it to her A2.

The "June carried forward" is used to compare with your new AS grade.

Reaction score
Not to disappoint you or anything, but I don't think CIE will 'choose' your best grade.
I'm giving my A2 exams right now, and it clearly states on my statement of entry under each subject code: 'June AS mark carried forward'.
So you had to specify when you were registering: do you wan't to use your AS score from last year or not?
But don't worry. If you've prepared for the A2 syllabus, I can guarantee that your AS this year will be better. So you made the right choice giving it again. You even have the experience of taking an AS exam before this one, so your chances are as high as ever!
Cheers!
dude they always pick ur top results..........my principal who knows CIE ppl said that even

Reaction score
i checked with the cie website, and yeah they will use the best AS

Previous marks will only be considered if the candidate has been entered for an entry option which indicates that previous marks will be carried forward. Therefore, if a candidate sat their AS Level examinations in June 2012, they would need to enter in November 2012 for an option which includes the 'June AS Mark Carried Forward' component for this result to be considered. Previous entry details should also be provided in order to help us find previous examination results.

It would be possible for candidates to sit only the 'A2' components while carrying forward the AS result gained in June 2012. It is also possible to enter for the full A-Level, whilst carrying forward any previous AS results from June and November. Their best overall AS level result, i.e. either June or November, would then be carried forward.

Cambridge will use the best overall AS result, not the individual component marks. For example, if a candidate sat the AS in June 2012 and then sat the full A-Level in November 2012, we would use either the total AS mark from June or the total AS mark from November; we would not combine a mark from one AS component in June and another from November.

i checked my cie account, and thankfully it shows june mark carried forward, i totally forgot about that :D

Reaction score
Cheers!

if you know you're gonna choose last year's AS, whats the point of retaking? while registering, you only have to specify whether you wanna carry forward the last AS(s) or discard them.

Reaction score
if you know you're gonna choose last year's AS, whats the point of retaking? while registering, you only have to specify whether you wanna carry forward the last AS(s) or discard them.
Well if you asked CIE and they responded in the affirmative, then you're probably right. Best of luck!
Cheers!

Reaction score
Oh God...I didn't wanna say this discouraging thing, but look, everyone's already said it:( Yea bro, they dont choose your best mark..it's just the most recent one:(:(