• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Second Language Urdu

Reaction score
AOA
I want some really good advice regarding this subject, which is considered easy by many but not me. I am not good at Urdu at all. My Urdu vocabulary is extremely limited and I cannot write a good piece of writing without help. Now please assist me. All I want is to get an A* in this subject. How can one prepare for muhawarat, translation paragraphs, speeches, talkhees, mukalma, mazmoon etc in view of CIE requirements?

Reaction score
M ALSO GIVING URDU B ............... have good knowledge abut first language but donno abut second one......... :p but still if i get any help in the second language i'll surely tell ya. :)

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
Actually for Urdu u need a lot of vocabulary bcoz like for essays and all u r given more marks for language rather than for the content..so try reading books and all...to improve ur vocabulary!!to get an A* i believe it's reallyyyyy important to have a good grasp of words and idioms...and use them APPROPRIATELY!!!

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
u know the small kids magazines will do it ..like sathi..noor...bachon ka islam!!

Reaction score
If it is extremely necessary, i might just grab one. Thankyou, math angel! you've been very helpful. I know this is sad but urdu is just not my thing. Moreover, I dont think i can read too much in less time.

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
frankly speaking i love to read those magazines i mentioned but when it comes to novel and books by great writers i dont prefer to read them ....i only love to read short stories ...even the articles i skip in these magazines !!

Nibz

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
@abcd... All you have to do is... GOING THROUGH ALL THE PAST PAPERS/Mark SCHEMES and EXAMINER REPORTS,, and that CIE endorsed URDU book,, probably by Batul Ali.. => (As u have ample time to study,, ASSUMING THAT YOU WILL BE APPEARING in MAY/JUNE 2011 session)
Vocabulary for Urdu as a Second language is not a ROCKET SCIENCE,, but u just have to know the meanings of those DAILY USED words..,and thats it.
'Baaaaaaki' as I said in the previous posts also.. "URDU 2nd LANGUAGE is JUST A PIECE OF CAKE" I have seen students who did not even study Urdu in their previous classes (came from abroad) and after studying it for 4 or 5 months ... they got an A/A* in it.. SO WHY NOT YOU!!!

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
Even i didnt study urdu in my 6ix years of school...i started studying one year b4 starting o levels...but i did read short stories b4 as i mentioned....so that's the reason i'm gud at urdu...

Reaction score
Acha so what i can assume from these posts is that: I should try and actually read some Urdu stories and solve past papers (which i normally do just one month before exams). Would that be okay?

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
I hope so....have a lott of practice...writing and writing will help a lot....practice in urdu really helps ;)

Reaction score
Some Urdu stories are very cliche. What i like about English is that it has variety.

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
it depends on ur choice and interest...u'll find a great variety in urdu toooooo....i love urdu bt i dont like reading english books :p

Reaction score
Yes it does.. I absolutely love reading English books of my favorite authors :)

Reaction score
YOUR ENGLISH OR URDU CANNOT IMPROVE IN A FEW DAYS..............read books,magazines [quality ones] , (i dont read urdu but read english instead) :p

Reaction score
HMMMM for urdu second language i got some past papers of about 5 years of both paper 1 and paper 2 compiled..but i dont know how to give them to u BUT there aint any need for notes just practice past papers and solve as many as u can just like english but in URDU SECOND LANGUAGE u dont need high level vocabulary just simple word so basically u need to know words which match ur sentence it can be a simple word or a difficult one choice is urs but it must fit correctly in ur sentence and SECONDLY also read muhaware(idioms) and as u know syllabus has changed so u wont be given answer sheet for URDU PAPER u will be given space for everything and u must write answer or essay in that space given so practice on how to write essay,reports,speeches in 150 words and also practice them so u can learn how to cover all 4 points given in essay. use simple words and in LETTERS dont go for irrelevent details just concentrate on question and in speeches always dont forget to write muazzaz samaeen(respected viewers) after two to 3 lines. in REPORTS first make a mind map in ur mind gather strong points and start writing. for idioms read them everyday and slowly u will learn them u got plenty of time for preperation!!BEST OF LUCK

Reaction score
I really appreciate this help, people. Thank you so much everyone. Hope everyone does very well. :)

Reaction score
Math_angel said:
Even i didnt study urdu in my 6ix years of school...i started studying one year b4 starting o levels...but i did read short stories b4 as i mentioned....so that's the reason i'm gud at urdu...

that good But i studied seriously 2 days before the paper and got A*