• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Self study

Reaction score
You're going to need an institute to help you with bio, chem, and phys practicals, but apart from that, sure.

Reaction score
Is self study possible for As level phy,bio chem ,maths)?
I think you better take some guidance.I am saying this because you never know what kind of paper CIE comes out with..your teachers will be sure to prepare you for paper of any sort but i think self study would not be able to do so..This time p42 for biology (Just an example) turned out to be more of an environmental paper and most of the candidates appearing for it (including me) were not quiet satisfied with the questions..this is only what I think..you better take suggestions from other and do what you feel like and better for you because you can judge yourself better than anyone else:)

Reaction score
I think you better take some guidance.I am saying this because you never know what kind of paper CIE comes out with..your teachers will be sure to prepare you for paper of any sort but i think self study would not be able to do so..This time p42 for biology (Just an example) turned out to be more of an environmental paper and most of the candidates appearing for it (including me) were not quiet satisfied with the questions..this is only what I think..you better take suggestions from other and do what you feel like and better for you because you can judge yourself better than anyone else:)
I disagree. I would do anything to go back a year and get back the money I fed to the teachers so I can self-study and not listen to their crap everyday. Now I really know what they mean by, "Those who can't do, teach"
With the buttload of money we pay the school, we can buy some laboratory equipments to practice the practicals ourselves. Teachers don't know any more than we do about questions coming in exams. All that everyone CAN do is look at past papers(and syllabus, for that reason), that's all.

Reaction score
maybe but, you might need at least one very good teacher who teaches you a subject and gives you idea as to how to study for A level. Then you can get a better view of how much you have to study, the techniques, which things to look for in studies. Then you can apply his ideas in other subjects as well. But that should be a very good teacher, who you can trust...

Reaction score
how bad the teachers might be, they're more experienced, and experience makes a lot of difference...
btw self study is possible ( and is very important ) , but self study from start to beginning , I don't feel really satisfied about it. You might need at least one teacher to take your hand and guide you through studies. Like you might want to know , how many past papers you have to do , or whether study more past papers or more theory, teachers can guide you through that . Plus, very good teachers prepare notes ( Maths teachers got no notes, btw ) from various books than from just one book. Sometimes they go out of the syllabus and provide you with material that can come in the exams too. These things, students can't very likely achieve on their own. It might need a lot of hardwork, and seeing that A level has got 2 years, unlike 3 or 4 in O level, it might not be a very good idea to waste time on detecting out the secrets of success in exams. When you get good teacher(s ), almost 50% of finding how to study is known. So you get a lot of time to hardwork too.
And that happens mostly if you find a very good teacher. almost all kinds of teachers are available in the market... A lot of people do their A level and get on with teaching it then . Some are good, some aren't . So look for a very good teacher.

And yes, also I should mention, choose good coursebooks to study from too...
and self study is equally important. Finding a good teacher doesn't mean you'll ace without self- studying...

Reaction score
I did my first year of A'Levels with a school, and it was a load of rubbish. I ended up pretty much self-teaching everything anyway. And now this year, I've been completely self teaching myself A2 biology, A2 chemistry and the whole of A'Level economics. It's definitely possible, you just have to be willing to put the effort in.

Reaction score
how bad the teachers might be, they're more experienced, and experience makes a lot of difference...
btw self study is possible ( and is very important ) , but self study from start to beginning , I don't feel really satisfied about it. You might need at least one teacher to take your hand and guide you through studies. Like you might want to know , how many past papers you have to do , or whether study more past papers or more theory, teachers can guide you through that . Plus, very good teachers prepare notes ( Maths teachers got no notes, btw ) from various books than from just one book. Sometimes they go out of the syllabus and provide you with material that can come in the exams too. These things, students can't very likely achieve on their own. It might need a lot of hardwork, and seeing that A level has got 2 years, unlike 3 or 4 in O level, it might not be a very good idea to waste time on detecting out the secrets of success in exams. When you get good teacher(s ), almost 50% of finding how to study is known. So you get a lot of time to hardwork too.
And that happens mostly if you find a very good teacher. almost all kinds of teachers are available in the market... A lot of people do their A level and get on with teaching it then . Some are good, some aren't . So look for a very good teacher.

And yes, also I should mention, choose good coursebooks to study from too...
and self study is equally important. Finding a good teacher doesn't mean you'll ace without self- studying...
I agree:)

Reaction score
Thx for the responses but tell me how do u decide whether someone is gud or bad?And most importantly suggest those gud books!

Reaction score
Thx for the responses but tell me how do u decide whether someone is gud or bad?And most importantly suggest those gud books!
Go for trials ..check out the teacher's study pattern for a day or 2
And if u r satisfied ..try that person out
Don't fall for his "goodenglish" ..if the teacher explains the concepts accurately and with perfected amplification and is not crappy about questions shot by students at him...that teacher is good
Not all teachers u will find are angels...teachers have their weaknesses ..they r humans..so don't expect them to teach u everything perfectly

And for the books....endorsed r the best...but recommending u to consult 3 books at least :) don't get confused with the various language usages ....just stick to what u need to extract from the books

Be confident ..... About self study....it is the only way a grip on concepts can be achieved no matter how many good teachers or students u consult
Good luck