• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Serial dilution - - Biologyy

Reaction score
Hey, can anyone please explain me serial dilution, how to perform and 2-3 lines explaination on it. Also, i need help on how a test is a semi-quantitative and semi-qualitative. thnx

Reaction score
Look for serial dilutions all u gotta do is look at the conc. of the solution for eg. it's 1% take 5 ml of sol. & 5ml of h20 this will be your 0.5% then from 0.5% take 5ml and add 5ml of h20. then this becomes a 0.25% solution then for 0.1 take 9ml of h20 & 1ml of 1% sol. this becomes a 0.1% sol. Got it?

Reaction score
A serial dilution involves making different concentrations of solutions. The first one will probably be 1.0 moldm-3. This you will be given. To the next one you add 1 cm3 of the initial concentration and 9cm3 of water to make 0.1 moldm-3 solution. Then you take 1cm3 of that new solution and 9cm3 again to make 0.01 moldm-3 solution and so on. A test can be semi-quantitative and semi-qualitative if the results are both numbers and words. Never heard of such a thing though sry

Reaction score
Serial-Dilutions I guess you got it from the above posts.
Well, A question related to Semi-Quantitive Test is given in M/J 2004
It's about ''How glucose can be used as a semi-quantitative test'', So for this the answer is like:

First, make a range of known concentrations of Glucose, than perform the Benedict's test. We will now be having a range of colours. Than, for the unknown solution/concentration of glucose, carry out the Benedicts test. Compare it's coloyr with the result( colours you got), and so you can get the concentration of the unknown sol.

Just take an idea Of Semi-Quantitative from this question. Hope it helps :)

Reaction score
soo ...um i might sound dumb but what exactly is this Semi-Quantitive or qualitive thing...my teacher mentioned it but didnt know what he was talking about :/

Reaction score
This is how serial dilutions are done.

Take a volume of particular solution and place it in a clean tube, and add distilled water to make it upto 10cm^3.
Then do the same again, using different volumes of the original solution.
e.g.

Volume of solution + Volume of distilled water = Concentration
10 0 1.0
08 02 0.8
06 04 0.6
04 06 0.4
02 08 0.2
00 10 0.0

:Yahoo!: :ROFLMAO: 8) :good: :Bravo: :wink:

Reaction score
Banglarbagh said:
This is how serial dilutions are done.

Take a volume of particular solution and place it in a clean tube, and add distilled water to make it upto 10cm^3.
Then do the same again, using different volumes of the original solution.
e.g.

Volume of solution + Volume of distilled water = Concentration
10 0 1.0
08 02 0.8
06 04 0.6
04 06 0.4
02 08 0.2
00 10 0.0

:Yahoo!: :ROFLMAO: 8) :good: :Bravo: :wink:
well,this is not serial dilution!in serial dilution u need to hav 1/10th the concentration of previous one!