• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

should i take the AS exams in my first year of A-levels ?

Reaction score
im kinda confused about whether i should take the AS exam this year or at the end of my A-levels? help needed!

Reaction score
Take them in the first year, it's what I did. That way, even if you don't get the grades you were aiming for, you can just try again next year. But if you do end up getting As or whatever, it's much less pressure next year, 'cause you only have to study for A2 exams rather than AS + A2.

Reaction score
Take them in the first year, it's what I did. That way, even if you don't get the grades you were aiming for, you can just try again next year. But if you do end up getting As or whatever, it's much less pressure next year, 'cause you only have to study for A2 exams rather than AS + A2.
i guess ill take the AS exams this year! thanks!

Reaction score
Yep definetly this year. As Paradoxical said you have the choice to resit next year so if you do screw up (lets hope you don't) you can at least resit.Goodluck tho

Reaction score
yes u shud give as level this year. it becomes easy and less burden...

Reaction score
Its really helpful to take a staged route because the system goes something like if you get A grade in AS Level if you dont have a good preparation in A2 Level still you will secure Grade C in your full A Level. Whereas if you give all the papers in one go then it can give you a combined grade which finally leads to a grade not more than D,E or even Ungraded. So go for a staged route. :) It will be of less stress as well as convinient.

Reaction score
thanks everyone! i decided to appear for physics and biology. hope i get A,s!

Reaction score
I would recommend you to take them in the first year. I didn't and I know now how much easier my life would have been by giving AS. If you plan to give it together then just remember that you'll have to give 4 to 5 papers in 1 session and that's not easy because many of them will be on the same day.