• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Sociology Thread

Reaction score
Thanks. Anything for the 8 marks question?

what i do for the 8 mark question is that i give both sides of the arguments
I usually do 2 for and 2 against and then at the end give a conclusion.I have got full marks countless times using his way hope it helps you btw can you help me on the topic of power its really hard

Reaction score
what i do for the 8 mark question is that i give both sides of the arguments
I usually do 2 for and 2 against and then at the end give a conclusion.I have got full marks countless times using his way hope it helps you btw can you help me on the topic of power its really hard

Thanks.
I hate this one too. I'm always skipping power questions :(
Same with mass media. But tell me what you need to know and I will check if it's in my notes.

Reaction score
I'm doing the exam as well. :coffee: Study the definitions in the syllabus well guys, usually all parts of a question are based on the first 2-mark one, if you don't know what the definition is, you won't usually be able to answer the rest of the questions. ;P

Reaction score
In paper 1 you need to answer the first Research question, and then 3 questions from Culture & Socialization, Stratification & Inequality, or Power & Authority.
So i have to study social class and social control in addition to research, socialization and gender, right?

Reaction score
What? You mean the chapters Age and Ethnicity from Active sociology for GCSE? But those are not in the syllabus. For paper one, 4 chapters, Individuals and society, research methods, class, politics.

Yeah, they're included in Section C: Social Stratification & Inequality. ._.
Look:
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge IGCSE/Sociology (0495)/0495_s12_qp_12.pdf
Question 5, it's got to do with ethnicity. In that book though, alot of the chapter is not required, but for example pages 108 and 109 are important.

Reaction score
Reaction score
Really? I would, along with question 4 & 2. I never even LOOK at section D. :p Wby?

Hmm, 2, 3 and 6.
You seem to know a lot about section C. You have anything helpful? notes about it or so.

Also, which theories do we need to know? Marxits, pluralist, fuctionalist? and anything else?

Reaction score
Hmm, 2, 3 and 6.
You seem to know a lot about section C. You have anything helpful? notes about it or so.

Also, which theories do we need to know? Marxits, pluralist, fuctionalist? and anything else?

Just practice, i'm sorry.
I'm not exactly sure, I actually wanted to ask this as well. o: Of course there's the feminist theory and New Right as well, I can't think of anymore atm..

Reaction score
Can you define pluralism and functionalism?

Functionalism is a consensus theory, functionalists believe that as long as every part of society carries out it's function properly, society would run smoothly. For example, family's function is to socialize children, if they fail to do this, the child could for example become a criminal, contributing to increase in crime rates in society. However, if they socialize children correctly, everything in society would be a-okay! :p

I've never actually heard of pluralism. o_O What chapter is it in?

Reaction score
Functionalism is a consensus theory, functionalists believe that as long as every part of society carries out it's function properly, society would run smoothly. For example, family's function is to socialize children, if they fail to do this, the child could for example become a criminal, contributing to increase in crime rates in society. However, if they socialize children correctly, everything in society would be a-okay! :p

I've never actually heard of pluralism. o_O What chapter is it in?

That's well explained. Thanks.

Don't know, individuals and society?

Reaction score
In my book i see pluralism in the chapter about Mass Media. Pluralism is a theory where there is not one single group in control, but many groups which compete for it. In mass media pluralists say that no single group controls. all viewpoints are represented within the printed media and consumer demand determines the view content.

Reaction score
In my book i see pluralism in the chapter about Mass Media. Pluralism is a theory where there is not one single group in control, but many groups which compete for it. In mass media pluralists say that no single group controls. all viewpoints are represented within the printed media and consumer demand determines the view content.

thanks a lot

Reaction score
Guys start posting past paper questions so tht we can discuss and help each other out