• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Software Engineering or CS from Nust?

Reaction score
As the final selection lists are released from Nust and i have been selected for bachelors in engineering.

Now comes the part of decision making, a decision of a final future career that will stick with me for the rest of my life.

I have already narrowed down my choices as i'm very much fond of computers and programming. I can easily sit infront of the computer for long hours writing hundreds of lines of codes.

But the most confusing part is to choose which one from these two fields? Software engineering or Computer Science from Nust? No other universities are in my options since i'm sure most of you guys would have recommended me CS from Fast but i'm wasn't selected from Fast.

So kindly list down the advantages and disadvantages of both the fields and their scope in the national and international market.

Reaction score
As the final selection lists are released from Nust and i have been selected for bachelors in engineering.

Now comes the part of decision making, a decision of a final future career that will stick with me for the rest of my life.

I have already narrowed down my choices as i'm very much fond of computers and programming. I can easily sit infront of the computer for long hours writing hundreds of lines of codes.

But the most confusing part is to choose which one from these two fields? Software engineering or Computer Science from Nust? No other universities are in my options since i'm sure most of you guys would have recommended me CS from Fast but i'm wasn't selected from Fast.

So kindly list down the advantages and disadvantages of both the fields and their scope in the national and international market.

Theoratically speaking Computer science is more like science and software engineering is more like technology. software engineering targets specific problems while CS targets general ones which are later used by SE. So u'll be doing some core development, devising algorithms for general problems, while in SE, u'll be learning techniques which will enable u to target specific problem and minimizing the time, money and other costs that come in software development.
In national market it is nearly the same. U'll find Computer Scientists working jobs of SE and vice versa. But do remember, SE has more "respect" here since its an Engineering. I think u know our stereotype society by now and the word "Engineer" do make difference here.

Now comes the part which to chose, my recommendation is u should research a bit.
http://seecs.nust.edu.pk/academics/doc/bscs_outline.php
http://seecs.nust.edu.pk/academics/doc/unified_curriculum_se.php
Go through the curriculum of SE and CS, compare the courses. Find out what really interests u more. Don't know what that course really is? google it and find out. U need to spend some time here, i bet u did spend good percentage of ur time preparing for admission/A-levels. This matters too!

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply sir.

Although i did ask about this in another thread here: http://www.pakgamers.com/forums/f163/software-engineering-cs-nust-139680/
The vast majority is telling me to go for CS now. I don't know why but i still can't make a decision. Although my gut says i should go with software engineering but almost majority of the guys are saying to go with CS.

I will spend some time checking out the courses but i don't have much left, need to submit my fee and documents latest by monday although the deadline is wednesday but still i'll go over the weekend meeting some experienced progammers and ask them which discpline to choose.

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply sir.

Although i did ask about this in another thread here: http://www.pakgamers.com/forums/f163/software-engineering-cs-nust-139680/
The vast majority is telling me to go for CS now. I don't know why but i still can't make a decision. Although my gut says i should go with software engineering but almost majority of the guys are saying to go with CS.

I will spend some time checking out the courses but i don't have much left, need to submit my fee and documents latest by monday although the deadline is wednesday but still i'll go over the weekend meeting some experienced progammers and ask them which discpline to choose.
That is really good, u should meet with experienced people and ask for their opinions.
BUT REMEMBER, u should be the one to decide that yes i am going for this field because i like it. The fact that u have chosen ur path matters a lot in ur future!
Good Luck! :)

Reaction score
That is really good, u should meet with experienced people and ask for their opinions.
BUT REMEMBER, u should be the one to decide that yes i am going for this field because i like it. The fact that u have chosen ur path matters a lot in ur future!
Good Luck! :)
Chose software engineering, hope it was a good decision.

See you in september senior. :p

Reaction score
Chose software engineering, hope it was a good decision.

See you in september senior. :p

A wise decision, Best of Luck. :)
If ur coming to hostel, do let me know ur room no. (once u get it) so that we can have a formal "Introduction" :p

Reaction score
Edifier Weren't you automatically selected for the program you listed as your first preference? How did you have the option to 'choose' between SE and CS?

Reaction score
Edifier Weren't you automatically selected for the program you listed as your first preference? How did you have the option to 'choose' between SE and CS?
Hmm.. well i'm although automatically selected for my first preference here which was SE in SEECS but still as CS is a lower merit field, won't i be allowed to switch between the two?

It's not like i'm switching from SE to electrical or mechanical.

Reaction score
Hmm.. well i'm although automatically selected for my first preference here which was SE in SEECS but still as CS is a lower merit field, won't i be allowed to switch between the two?

Apparently not. I was considering something similar and emailed them asking about it. They said I'll be upgraded according to the preferences listed in the application form.

Reaction score
Apparently not. I was considering something similar and emailed them asking about it. They said I'll be upgraded according to the preferences listed in the application form.
Oh well then i guess Software it is. :p