• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Solved physics Paper 5??

Reaction score
Is it correct to find find the percentage uncertainity in both and multiply it by two,and use this answer to find absolute error?
and why divide by two?
Thanks

divide by 2, because you are using the max point and the min point, to get the middle point. i really don't know how to explain it better. Sorry
Your method sounds correct.

You're welcome anytime

Reaction score
I DID. Anyways forget it. I know the method. Its some silly mistake which maybe I cant figure out?!
Thankyou anyways. Could you please tel me how do we place a hall probe sensor in a coil?

Reaction score
I DID. Anyways forget it. I know the method. Its some silly mistake which maybe I cant figure out?!
Thankyou anyways. Could you please tel me how do we place a hall probe sensor in a coil?

You're welcome

Hopefully this diagram can assist you with the hall probe issue:
on:11(51C).JPG

Reaction score
what ? stack of books? in air ?
you can add the table.

And isnt the hall probe parallel in your diagram?

One last question Hall probes are supposed to be positioned perpendicular to the field lines right?

This diagram was by sagar65265, i have just uploaded it for you. No as far as i understood, the diagram is okay. The plane of the coil is vertical, the hall probe is positioned horizontally, hence they are perpendicular.

Nibz

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
Question 1 of this paper
There's a bell jar with a bell inside it, If it already has a bell inside it, why do we need to provide a source of sound in form of a loudspeaker etc??!

http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Physics (9702)/9702_nos_sp_5.pdf
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Physics (9702)/9702_nos_sm_5.pdf

Nibz
sagar65265 geek101 @ everyone else

You don't need to 'provide' a source of a sound in the form a loudspeaker. The bell is a source of sound, and that's more than enough.
A loudspeaker can be used as an additional material to make it easier for the person to hear the sound of the bell.

Reaction score
You don't need to 'provide' a source of a sound in the form a loudspeaker. The bell is a source of sound, and that's more than enough.
A loudspeaker can be used as an additional material to make it easier for the person to hear the sound of the bell.

so mic is out side bell jar or inside it ???

Reaction score

Thanx, but this is what the ms says:

"Workable arrangement Should include container, source of sound, pump, microphone, CRO"

Since this marking point is one of the methods of data collection rather than just an additional detail, it led me to assume that, we need a sound source.

Nibz

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
Thanx, but this is what the ms says:

"Workable arrangement Should include container, source of sound, pump, microphone, CRO"

Since this marking point is one of the methods of data collection rather than just an additional detail, it led me to assume that, we need a sound source.

So the bell is a sound source, no?

Reaction score
So the bell is a sound source, no?

Yeah it is.
But in the variables to be controlled it also states frequency of sound source, so how do we exactly control the frequency of the bell sound ? :unsure:

PS: Sorry for the bother :/

Reaction score
Ammeter range should be about 0-5 A.
And voltmeter's range should be about 0-10 V.

Double check this, though.

Thank you! I realised that they want you to give a likely range according to what values of I and V you would expect, which in turn depends on the data given in the question. So essentially, the range will differ for each question. Thank you, though :)

Nibz

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah it is.
But in the variables to be controlled it also states frequency of sound source, so how do we exactly control the frequency of the bell sound ? :unsure:

PS: Sorry for the bother :/

By decreasing or increasing the air inside the jar.

It's totally okay.

Reaction score
I have laid off doing papers. I have become too OCD thanks to paper 5. My graphs are not only neat, but so is my room hehe.

My advice will be:

- look back at everything you've already done and remember common mistakes you've made. (relating to physics paper 5 only)
- look back at your drawings and remember common things (i.e. Voltmeter is always drawn in parallel and Ammeter in series)
- go through the mark schemes and examiner reports if possible.
- my little secret is, I am going to go through the apparatus list in the syllables so I know what apparatus are acceptable and will have more ideas when drawing.
- Sleep early.
- Pray for what you've studied to come out.
- And most importantly STOP DOING PAPERS! If you come across something you don't know, you'll be scared and panic.
- Goodluck and thank you too everyone that has contributed and helped me.

I'll upload some diagrams I've done just incase they give any last minute help.

WARNING: I am really no artist and my diagrams are not huge. :)

Reaction score
MJ2008

MJ2010 51

MJ2011 52

And other years I've done, diagrams have already been posted :)

Attachments

• Ikeja-20130531-01028.jpg
    Ikeja-20130531-01028.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG-20130603-01040.jpg
    IMG-20130603-01040.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG-20130603-01041.jpg
    IMG-20130603-01041.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 124