• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Some biology practical doubts

Reaction score
Don't worry about being astigmatic (I'm about 90% sure I'm astigmatic too, I just forget what the eye-doctor exactly said since I see him like once in a year and a half. >.>) Just don't remove your glasses when looking at the slide like most people do. It'll be a bit uncomfortable, but you'll see it properly.

the funny thing is, I don't wear eye glasses, i just let my eyes deteriorate...stupid me >.<
I have one more question about serial dilution, in M/J 2007 paper 31
they asked to prepare different concentrations of lead nitrate using serial dilution, but they didn't give us how to preform it so I tried doing it using the formula c1v1=c2v2...since the most important thing is to have the solutions within specific intervals..the basic solution had 1%, so i made 0.8, 0.6, 0.4, 0.2..is that right?

Reaction score
the funny thing is, I don't wear eye glasses, i just let my eyes deteriorate...stupid me >.<
they asked to prepare different concentrations of lead nitrate using serial dilution, but they didn't give us how to preform it so I tried doing it using the formula c1v1=c2v2...since the most important thing is to have the solutions within specific intervals..the basic solution had 1%, so i made 0.8, 0.6, 0.4, 0.2..is that right?

for example in making 10cm3 of water of conc 0.8 u used 2cm of water and 8cm3 of solution rite?

Reaction score
please reply quickly. if u cant post your diagrams(although if u can plzz) then tell me the layers of bronchiole and trachea for e.g. trachea has epithelium then cartilage(i dont know in which layer) . After that i am confused which layers will come. HELPPPP

Do you have Salma Siddiqui's "Practical Biology" book? If you do, you can find everything there.

In the 'TS of Tracheal Wall', just remember 'Epithilium' is the uppermost layer which contains Goblet cells, then under that is 'Lamina Propria' which contains connective tissue, smooth muscle, blood vessels and submucosa and underneath that is your cartilage.

In the bronchiole, there's a lamina propria which is thin (the outermost layer in contact with the lumen, which is a wavy line, usually stained dark, like the tunica intima in a blood vessel) - this is elastic. This is completely surrounded by a smooth muscle layer.

That's all I can do, I guess. Hope that helps insha'Allah.

Reaction score

Don't let your eyes deteriorate. It'll come back and bite you later on.

As for M/J 2007 p31... it says prepare them by serial dilution. They did tell you how to perform it. You were supposed to do it the other way; serially dilute them, from 1%, to 0.1%, to 0.01%, to 0.001%, to 0.0001%, etc.) You need at least three dilutions according to the mark scheme... 5 is best, and at least 2 readings for each solution.

The way you did it isn't serial dilution, its dilution of equal intervals... I think. I'm confused now myself. :eek:

Hope that helps insha'Allah.

Reaction score

As for M/J 2007 p31... it says prepare them by serial dilution. They did tell you how to perform it. You were supposed to do it the other way; serially dilute them, from 1%, to 0.1%, to 0.01%, to 0.001%, to 0.0001%, etc.) You need at least three dilutions according to the mark scheme... 5 is best, and at least 2 readings for each solution.

and i just wanna tally that:
1)the tunica media of artey is thicker than that of vein ?
2)the tunica externa of vein is thicker than that of artery?
3) do u have the book.Can u upload the pages of lung if u can

Reaction score
and i just wanna tally that:
1)the tunica media of artey is thicker than that of vein ?
2)the tunica externa of vein is thicker than that of artery?
3) do u have the book.Can u upload the pages of lung if u can

1) A lot thicker.
2) Yup, a lot thicker.
3) I have the book, but I can't upload. I don't have access to anything which I could use to upload it atm; no camera, no USB cable, no scanner. And its almost my bed-time. o_o Sorry dude.

Reaction score
1) A lot thicker.
2) Yup, a lot thicker.
3) I have the book, but I can't upload. I don't have access to anything which I could use to upload it atm; no camera, no USB cable, no scanner. And its almost my bed-time. o_o Sorry dude.
ok 1 last qs is tunica media of artery greater than that of its tunica externa?

Reaction score

The way you did it isn't serial dilution, its dilution of equal intervals... I think. I'm confused now myself. :eek:

I am really just confused
I hope in our exam it is clearer, what variant are you doing?

Reaction score
1) A lot thicker.
2) Yup, a lot thicker.
number 2..the walls of the artery are much thicker than the vein, so even the externa of the artery is considered thicker than that of the vein...

Reaction score
are 32 and 34 the same? omg coz if theyre not all the guesses are wrong andd we're screwed!
relax, see you are the one who is worrying :p :p..okay am still frustrated over the alveoli
the guesses are isa right, and the teacher said them..here 34 has agar i suppose, but we don't :)

Reaction score
are 32 and 34 the same? omg coz if theyre not all the guesses are wrong andd we're screwed!

Different.

And that's why, you don't rely on guesses, you rely on God. :cool:

Anyways, may Allah expand our breasts for us all and ease our ways for us all and guide us all to the straight way, Ameen, ya Arhamar-Rahimeen.

Going to bed; see you later guys. (y)

Reaction score
relax, see you are the one who is worrying :p :p..okay am still frustrated over the alveoli
the guesses are isa right, and the teacher said them..here 34 has agar i suppose, but we don't :)
im not worrying im showing concern :p i have a rough drawing from mr.c i told jazz i'd bring it tomorrow but it's totally not accurate..we'll see