• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Some help needed

Reaction score
Hi guys. I just had a few questions and I thought this might be the best place to ask. So here goes, bear with me! :)

First off, I am really confused about a few things about medicine in Pakistan. I've read "MCAT" and "UHS" tests multiple times on different websites, but it always seems to be used in the same context. Are those the same tests, just different names for it? And is the MCAT universal? I mean, can i use its result to apply in ANY government college, or do I have to do their own different tests themselves?

Secondly, How will i outline my preferences for which Government college I wish to go to? Will there be a form? Will I have to visit each seperate institution seperately?

Thirdly, I've been reading up, and it seems Agha Khans test is April-May and the rest have exams in August/September. Does this mean I have to give these tests now? I am currently completing my A2's though. Does that mean I have to give the tests at the SAME time as my A2 exams? Or is it that A2 comes first, THEN later I prepare for the MCAT, and the NEXT YEAR I appear for Agha Khans entrance test in February or April/May, whenever it may be? This point is really confusing so if anyone could tell me this stuff in detail, It would be lovely.

Fourth, I have urdu B in o levels. Will my marks be deducted for carrying Urdu B instead of A? Every mark counts for an A leveller wanting to go into Government schools, ofcourse :(. And also, should I get a matric equivilance made [I dont even know if those exist?] first, or should I apply for a complete equivilance once I have both my O level AND A level results? Could someone please outline where the center for IBCC equivilance is in Lahore, or where I may look to find this information?

And Lastly [Im sure you're relieved :p] My grades were 6 A's 2 A*'s in O levels, and Projected grades in A levels are 3 A's. Do you guys think, honestly, that is enough for me to get into an awesome Government school [KEMU, AIMC, Etc] Or Agha Khan? Or any good foreign universities?

Any and all help would be GREATLY appreciated. Sorry for the long-winded thread, and if any of these questions have been answered elsewhere, please feel free to redirect me.

Thank you again! :D

Reaction score
Firstly, the UHS conducts MCAT in Punjab. You can only apply to GOVERNMENT medical colleges of the same province from which you have your domicile. The MCAT by UHS in Punjab is universal. To apply to any PRIVATE/GOVERNMENT medical college you MUST give the UHS MCAT.

http://www.xtremepapers.com/community/threads/mcat-equivalence-this-is-important.20110/

This shows the whole procedure of equivalences, how total scores are calculated for government and private medical colleges

Secondly, you dont go to government medical colleges separately, your total aggregate score is calculated on basis of o/alevel equivalences and MCAT score. The higher you score, the more options you have. So, if you have an aggregate score of 90% you can apply and gain admission into any government medical college in Punjab. You basically list down a list of preferences for medical colleges (like first King Edward, second Allama Iqbal etc)
But you must qualify for merit. Visit the link above for last year's merit

Look usually, Agha Khan exam is held in March. I dont know about next year (but it will NOT clash InshAllah with Alevel exams or MCAT). MCAT is held is september after your alevels.

No marks are deducted for Urdu Second Language. BUT BEWARE, you MUST have given your olevels in 2 sessions with a gap of NO MORE THAN ONE YEAR. Like you could split olevels in june 2010 and june 2011

BUT NOT
june 2010 and nov 2011 ( as the gap would become a year and half)

Read the link above carefully!!!!

Look you must have your olevel equivalence made, they dont process your alevel equivalence until you show them your olevel equivalence. Reason is quite simple, all your olevel equivalence marks add into alevel equivalence.

Ill let you know of the address after I confirm it

Your grades are good in olevels. YOU MUST GET 3A* in alevels (3A would be border like, MCAT can be tricky, so ace your alevels)

http://www.xtremepapers.com/community/threads/mcat-equivalence-this-is-important.20110/

read this post again, see if you have any unanswered questions?

IF SO ASK, DONT ASSUME!

Reaction score
First off, thanks for your quick reply. It really helps :)

Secondly, I wanted to ask a few more things about all this, so here goes, bear with me!

1) where am i to give the MCAT? should I join KIPS as everyone says its the best to prepare for MCAT from? When should I start preparing?

2) Agha Khans test is in March, yes, but what im trying to say is, will i have to give the test for agha khan THIS year [2013] which would be 2-3 months before I must give my A2 exams, or will I give it NEXT year [2014] AFTER my A2 exams are done? Which way should I take? please expound a bit on this

3) Yes I did read your post [before you even linked it here actually:p] 3A*'s? Isnt that a bit hefty? :/ I was checking the KEMU merit lists and they have alot of kids with 900-940 FSc Scores. How come they got accepted then? [note, my grades+3A's = 945, I believe.]

And yes, I did all my O levels and will now be doing all my A levels in one sitting. Thanks so much for the help! :D

Reaction score
Also, I think i can apply on 3 different seats:

1) self finance seat
2) local seat
3) underdeveloped seat

What are the pro's and con's of each? Will I have to apply to each seperately? My birth was here in lahore [thus the local seat] but we do have land-holdings in some northern villages. Does that count as enough for me to apply to both? Detail on this would be very appreciated. Thanks again!

Reaction score
Okay you join Kip's after your a level exam. Our CIE exams ended on 14th June. I went to Kip's the next day. Register a week or two before to save ur seat. If you can join the Johan town campus. Its the main one here in Lahore and teachers are good

You prepare for mcat after your a levels. For now focus on a levels.

You MUST give agha khan a month or two before Alevel exams. Now you are confusing me with A2 and stuff. Tell me when you graduate from alevels? So I can be clearer. For the point, you give the aku test in March of A2.

Well those people are from FCC. Try competing with those guys in ratta and you will fail. Mcat is all ratta from purely FCC books except some conceptual questions in physics a d chemistry. Since mcat contributes 50% to overall score, these guys can compensate for their matrix/Fischer performance. It is difficult for us.

With 997/1100 in mcat. I was ranked 404th in mcat test. But hopefully due to higher equivalences, inshAllah I have a chance at KE

Reaction score
I think self finance is for foreign candidates. (do confirm this please)

Do u have any other nationality than being Pakistani? Can you pay 10lakhs a year for this self finance?

You apply to local seats

Under developed is for districts like cholistan etc. these are underdeveloped districts. Does Lahore come in that category? No.

Where is your domicile from? If you don't have it. Get it made. Usually it's from where you are born. If you have a domicile from Sindh, you can't apply or Punjab government medical colleges and vice versa

Reaction score
Thanks for helping me out here man, I really appreciate it. And sorry for the confusion.

I graduate from A levels in May/June 2013 [That is when I will give the final exams]. I did not give any AS exams and have no equivilance to submit to Agha Khan, thus, i am confused how can i apply there at all in the first place without certificates??

Secondly, i have looked around at medstudentz.com and other sites. Alot of people are saying [they are Pakistan nationality only] that we CAN apply on self-finance seat, [the money is not much of an issue, unless it is exorbitant amounts]. But the scenario there is quite confusing also. I will try to confirm this.

Secondly, No, I did not say Lahore is an underdeveloped Area. I said we had some land holdings in a northern small town of Punjab [I will get back to you on the name] and yes I can get the domicile certificate made for it. However, I was NOT born there. Will this be a cause of problems??

Secondly, your score seems pretty spot on here. Are you a Lahori student? When did you graduate your A levels and what grades did you get in O/A [If you dont mind me asking]. When did you give the MCAT? And where are you studying right now? Sorry if this is too personal for you to share, I just have a hard time finding O/A level students entering the Government Medical College line.

Thanks for your help!

Reaction score
You will InshAllah give the test in March 2013, they will look at your olevel grades and internal school exams in Alevel, and your final Alevel grades (and extra corricular activities)

as long as you have a domicilie of Punjab, then you can apply to any Punjab govt medical college and there iS NO PROBLEM AT ALL

I graduated from LGS Johar Town
olevel 2010, I had by Grace of God, 12A* and 2A
Alevel 2012,I had by Grace of God, 3A* (sciences) and 1A (history)

I gave my mcat in September this year. Im waiting for merit list to be announced on 26 this month InshAllah. Then ill know about my medical college (where I am to study)

Reaction score
12A*'s and 3A*'s? Wow dude. Thats amazing. If you dont get in I doubt anyone will :p. Good luck. Im guessing you applied to KEMU/AIMC and Agha Khan? How was the Agha Khan application? [if you gave it].

Reaction score
I wasn't going to go to Karachi anyway, so I didn't apply there

Look we apply only once to govt medical colleges. We name a list of preferences and if we score high enough on aggregate, we are offered admission into ke.

If not ke, then aims etc.
The merit list is due to nov26 inshAllah

Reaction score
read the file im attaching from end of page 3, the previous one is about equivalence

Attachments

• MBBS GUIDE.docx
    29 KB · Views: 4