• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Statistics P6 Help needed

Reaction score
You can find some Statistics Lectures here: http://www.khanacademy.org/math/statistics

Don't forget to check out the Probability Section too: http://www.khanacademy.org/math/probability

Please feel free to share tips and skills here.

Okay, to be honest, I have barely opened the book yet and I really need those marks to pass. Mechanics was hard, I lost 20 marks easily, and I left about 4 or 5 questions in P3, so I need to do my best in this paper. I only studied for P1 and P3 honestly..

Should I start by opening the book or by directly solving past papers? I need to achieve 30 marks or more (inshallah). The only things I have studied so far are measure of location and spread.

I need to study those still:

Normal Distribution
Binomial Distribution
Probability
Permutations and Combinations

So what are your suggestions? And I know, I did fail in maths this year.

Reaction score
Okay, to be honest, I have barely opened the book yet and I really need those marks to pass. Mechanics was hard, I lost 20 marks easily, and I left about 4 or 5 questions in P3, so I need to do my best in this paper. I only studied for P1 and P3 honestly..

Should I start by opening the book or by directly solving past papers? I need to achieve 30 marks or more (inshallah). The only things I have studied so far are measure of location and spread.

Normal Distribution
Binomial Distribution
Probability

Go for the book first. I don't usually opt for the book when it comes to Mathematics. But the J.Crashaw book for Statistics is the ultimate guide. Study the topics of S1 from the book and I'm sure all the concepts will be cleared. Then you can move on to the pps.

Reaction score
Go for the book first. I don't usually opt for the book when it comes to Mathematics. But the J.Crashaw book for Statistics is the ultimate guide. Study the topics of S1 from the book and I'm sure all the concepts will be cleared. Then you can move on to the pps.
Thanks a lot man, but the book is 150 pages. x_x and those subjects I talked about are 70.. anyone knows a good resource?

Reaction score
You dont have a topical for maths either which has all the sums worked out step by step and explained ?

Reaction score
at ht

Normal Distribution
Binomial Distribution
Probability

you said you failed in maths than your concepts and methods of working are weak so understanding the whole S1 would take a lot of time .... SO at this point of stage i would not reccomend you go into understanding the topics cuz that even though would be very useful but it will loose you precious time :) sooo just go to past papers there is a specific trend which each paper follows and specific methods for solving these questions even if you know nothing of these concepts you can do the questions by following the method :) but that would just be a crash course reading the book and understanding the problems is far more superior than any other method but it requires ample time which we dont have :(

Reaction score

Normal Distribution
Binomial Distribution
Probability

Do past papers of recent years and keep the marking scheme open. After reading the question jot down what you think is right, then look at the answer. try to do questions from the same topic together. Since the papers follow a similar patten, after a few papers, you'll have a better understanding of what to do.
best of luck :)

Reaction score
at ht

you said you failed in maths than your concepts and methods of working are weak so understanding the whole S1 would take a lot of time .... SO at this point of stage i would not reccomend you go into understanding the topics cuz that even though would be very useful but it will loose you precious time :) sooo just go to past papers there is a specific trend which each paper follows and specific methods for solving these questions even if you know nothing of these concepts you can do the questions by following the method :) but that would just be a crash course reading the book and understanding the problems is far more superior than any other method but it requires ample time which we dont have :(
Thanks a lot, I'm actually doing the topics and so far I'm doing good. Believe me, statistics doesn't build on pure mathematics, I will finish with the subjects in about 4 hours inshallah and start solving past papers until it's 12 AM.

Do past papers of recent years and keep the marking scheme open. After reading the question jot down what you think is right, then look at the answer. try to do questions from the same topic together. Since the papers follow a similar patten, after a few papers, you'll have a better understanding of what to do.
best of luck :)

Same thing goes to you man, I've been doing good so far, and I will try to do what you've suggested!

JUST one more question, can anyone give me a complete lest of formula? The one in syllabus is pretty complicated. x_x

Post edit: In case you're wondering, I'm taking the lectures from Salman Khan at Khan Academy. I love that man.

Reaction score
hey guys can someone help me in this!
when standardising in normal distribution is z plus and minus......or we dnt write that????anyone with correct formula

Reaction score
can anyone help me with m/j 2011 question number 2....1st part

god bless u...plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz:)

Reaction score
hey i want to ask u all that if the z has a value of say 0.228 whose inverse cannot be found out from the table....thus in this case do we need to do 1-0.228 =0.772 from the value......that is something....???why bt

Reaction score
hey i want to ask u that if the z has a value of say 0.228 whose inverse cannot be found out from the table....thus in this case do we need to do 1-0.228 =0.772 from the value......that is something....???why bt

Reaction score
hey i want to ask u that if the z has a value of say 0.228 whose inverse cannot be found out from the table....thus in this case do we need to do 1-0.228 =0.772 from the value......that is something....???why bt
I honestly don't know how to solve that one yet, I'm sorry.

Please don't spam the thread. If somebody knows how to answer, they will eventually solve it for you.

Reaction score
can someone plzzzz explain me in detail the CONTINUITY CORRECTION PART!!!!IN NOrmal distribustion?