• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Stats 1 Preparation

Reaction score
So folks, how is Stats preparation going? Or has it been completed? Lets talk about some tips and tricks in this thread regarding any S1 Topic. (like notes and stuff) For example
Median will be preferred over mean when there is an outlier.
and the conditions of binomial distribution is that the probabilities of each event should remain constant and every trial is independent and is either a successful outcome or a failure.
This way we can share small tips and have a quick revision thread!

Btw if someone has any problem, post it in here. I will myself try to reply within an hour or so (lol) or someone else :D :good:
Edited it as i had made a silly mistake! LOL now i am scared!!

Reaction score
i dnt know wat em gona do in the paper tomorow...i havent done stats and cant attempt the questionx of past paper ...

can u please rell me oct nov 10 62 Q5 part ii..!!

Reaction score
remz said:
So folks, how is Stats preparation going? Or has it been completed? Lets talk about some tips and tricks in this thread regarding any S1 Topic. (like notes and stuff) For example
Mean will be preferred over median when there is an outlier.
and the conditions of binomial distribution is that the probabilities of each event should remain constant and every trial is independent and is either a successful outcome or a failure.
um wouldnt median be preffered if there is an outlier??

Reaction score
ahmed t said:
remz said:

Exactly! Its median, not mean when there's an outlier.

Reaction score
You know the funny thing? Is that I haven't studied squat for stats. And the even funnier thing? I still can't be bothered to study.

hm I should probably start. Long night ahead.

Reaction score
MaXiiMo said:
You know the funny thing? Is that I haven't studied squat for stats. And the even funnier thing? I still can't be bothered to study.

hm I should probably start. Long night ahead.

i like it^^
:)

lol kidding
good luck!

Reaction score
memyself said:
ahmed t said:
remz said:

Exactly! Its median, not mean when there's an outlier.
Sorry i had made a silly mistake!! The Stats thing is taking a toll over my sanity seriouslY!

Reaction score
samy said:
http://www.xtremepapers.me/CIE/International%20A%20And%20AS%20Level/9709%20-%20Mathematics/9709_w09_qp_62.pdf

hey please tell me why in Q6 part ii (0.3)^9 + (0.7)^9 waz taken??
Are you sure that you have linked the right paper? Its a histogram question in here which wouldnt require this stuff.

Reaction score
ahmed t said:
lol
chill man ,chill
I know man but the perms and combs are seriously killing me. I am just happy ke gt for S1 is comparativeness lower so A tou ahi jana chahiye

Xam

Reaction score
:crazy: :Yahoo!: any1 who remembers points for normal distribution?
those 2 posible outcomes
fixed no of trials
aur kon sy thay?

Reaction score
remz said:
ahmed t said:
lol
chill man ,chill
I know man but the perms and combs are seriously killing me. I am just happy ke gt for S1 is comparativeness lower so A tou ahi jana chahiye

look if the perms and combs come easy then the rest of the paper should go well

Reaction score
samy said:
remz said:
samy said:
http://www.xtremepapers.me/CIE/International%20A%20And%20AS%20Level/9709%20-%20Mathematics/9709_w09_qp_62.pdf

hey please tell me why in Q6 part ii (0.3)^9 + (0.7)^9 waz taken??
Are you sure that you have linked the right paper? Its a histogram question in here which wouldnt require this stuff.

ssryyy itx dis one http://www.xtremepapers.me/CIE/Internat ... _qp_62.pdf

(0.3)^9 + (0.7)^9 is taken because in other words it is 9C9 x (0.7)^0 x (0.3)^9 and (0.7)^9 is 9C0 x(0.3)^0x(0.7)^9 so you see 9C9 x (0.7)^0 = 1 and 9C0 x(0.3)^0 = 1. thats why the full form is not written in the marking scheme. And both the parts were added as the word "or" was used in the question which is another way of saying add.
Hope that helps!

Reaction score
Xam said:
:crazy: :Yahoo!: any1 who remembers points for normal distribution?
those 2 posible outcomes
fixed no of trials
aur kon sy thay?
Points are not for normal distribution. They are for Binomial Distribution actually
These are the following points:
1) A finite number , n, trials to be carried out
2) The Trials are independent
3) The outcome of each trial is deemed either a success or a failure
4) The probability, p, of a successful outcome is the same for each trial.
Hope this helps.
Regarding normal distribution, in the past examples relating to normal distribution situations have been asked and a numerical model was required to support it as well. The common example is of weight. n= 75 people. Mean (M) = 60 kg. SD= 12. This is a realistic example with the numerical support.
However if you asking about the other normal distribution "Conditions" which is to convert a binomial into Normal then its
np>5
Npq>5
then only it can be a normal distribution

Reaction score
ahmed t said:
remz said:
ahmed t said:
lol
chill man ,chill

look if the perms and combs come easy then the rest of the paper should go well
I know seriously. Perms and Combs could make or break the whole paper

Reaction score
umm guyz take a look at this!!

http://www.s-cool.co.uk/a-level/maths/r ... -frequency

at the bottom of page cumulative frequency related to it!!
Y for the median do they look at between 45 and 46!!
i know we do this when we take a quartile and it gives whole number value for the stem and leaf shit!
but for cumulative frequency our teacher never told us to do it!!
he said just take 50% for example for median of the total cumulative frequency and find the value keeping that in mind???

plz sumone explain this!!
thanks!