• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Stress, IGCSE may-June 2012

Reaction score
Hey Everyone
I am so worried that now I don't know anything
I just gave Environmental management and I got a C and computer studies E
In my country the college I wanna go needs minimum B
I want to get A* like many of you
any one tell me what to do and what not to do
how to make a study plan
share your experience
HELP ME AND OTHERS

Reaction score
To make a study plan you must have the book with you, not the revision guides, they're not enough for a study plan.

When you have the book, find out exactly how many days is it till the first paper by using the May/June exam timetable -- go to this link, find your zone, then go to this link and download the June 2012 timetable for your zone.

Once you've found out the dates for your exams, you can start putting up a study plan for yourself. First of all, you have to keep about 2 - 3 weeks before the exam by which you must've finished studying the whole subject.

Let's say that your exam date is 9/5/12. You should've finished the subject by 16/4/12 (3 weeks before the exam) or 23/4/12 (2 weeks before the exam). I recommend 3 weeks, so that you can take a few days break after studying the whole subject before you start revising it. Remember that taking breaks is important.

Now, we also have to agree on a start date. Let's say you'll start on the 1st of February. You will have 2 months and 16 days (3 weeks before the exam) or 2 months and 23 days (2 weeks before the exam).

Take a look at your book. See how many chapters are there in it. Let's say there are 16 chapters (this is an example). 2 months and 16 days is just a little over 10 weeks. So we cannot do a chapter a week. See how many short chapters are there, the ones that you can finish within 2 - 3 days.

Draw up a table (or use a spreadsheet). Put the following column headings: Date, Reading (chapter number/page numbers for longer chapters), Notes Taking (for the same reading chapters, you use this column to put a tick in it if you did the work), Answering Questions (questions in the book, which come in the chapters or at the end of chapters).

Download 2 full sets of question papers to use during your studies. Attempt a few questions relevant to the chapters you've completed every 3 - 4 days. Get somebody to check the marking schemes and your answers. Don't read the marking scheme until you've finished the whole paper, so that you don't read the answers to other questions.

To help with your studies, use the Pomodoro technique. It's very helpful to increase your concentration. You can use a kitchen timer or this program.

When you have finished your studying, take a few days break before you start revising. If you have 16 chapters, then you can revise 1 chapter a day for 16 days, then 4 chapters a day for 4 days, then one day break, the next day the exam. Don't study the night before the exam. You will exhaust your brain, then during exam time it won't help you remember things you need to.

Also, don't rely on memorizing everything. Make sure you understand definitions of words. Write them out in your own words, then ask someone to read the book's definition and yours, and see if they got the meaning of the word. Do this for all important definitions you need to know.

Hope this helps! Best of luck with your exams. What subjects are you giving this session, and where?

Bouchra

EDIT: I wanted to say that I'm sure these techniques will help us all get an A*, because last session I did half of them, but I didn't stick to all of them, that's why I got a C in Math, but I did somehow stick to half of them with Bio, and I got an A. If I had stuck to the schedule and techniques described above, I'd have got A* in both, I'm sure. That's what I'm going to do for this session. Good luck to all of us!

Reaction score
Thanku very much for answering and it really helps
Yeah I've read about the pomodoro technique but I didn't stick to it
I'm in zone 4 , giving this may 2012 (8 th)
Thanks again
And best of luck to u too

Reaction score
This is such great advice. I'm aiming for an A* in Biology and Physics this May/June 2012 Session. inshAllah [=

Reaction score
Well, how did your Biology exam go? Did you manage the A * with this technique? Responding would really be helpful :)

Reaction score
Thanku very much for answering and it really helps
Yeah I've read about the pomodoro technique but I didn't stick to it
I'm in zone 4 , giving this may 2012 (8 th)
Thanks again
And best of luck to u too
umm hey.. how were your results? iam starting my session 2moro....and i followed most of the techniques here...