• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Study Material

Reaction score
AoA!
AS and A level students, please name the resources you use (text books, reference guides, websites) for studying the following subjects:
-> Mathematics
-> Physics
-> Chemistry
-> Further Mathematics
-> Economics

Reaction score
for physics and chem there is a new book u check the cambridge university website!!! also buy the old version of the endorsed cambridge book) looks black in colour) their content is more or less the same however there are slight important differences which you must study soo studying the two books together would really help.

Nibz

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
W.S!

For Mathematics: Pure Mathematics and Mechanics.
For Reference:
-> Advanced Mathematics (Perkins & Perkins)

For Physics: A-level Physics Volume I & II ( Pacific); Physics by Robert Hutchings (McMillan) or Stephene Pople
For Reference:
-> Physics by Tom Duncan (John Murray)
-> A-level Physics by Nelkon & Parker
-> A-level Physics by Gibbs

For Chemistry: A-level Chemistry by RAMSDEN for sure. (3rd Edition)
For Reference:
-> A-level Chemistry by Mohd. Ayub
-> Chem in Context by Graham C. Hill
-> Chemistry: Principals & Apps by P.W Alloms
-> Practical Chem by Brian Ratc

Economics: Economics by Alain Anderton or Economics by Colin Bamford.
For Reference:
->Principle of Economics by Solouman

For Further Maths, use Further Pure Mathematics, L Bostock, S Chandler, C Rourke, Stanley Thornes . Though, I am not quite sure if this book encompasses all parts of the syllabus. You can find these two Websites useful for Further Maths: http://mathworld.wolfram.com/ & http://patrickjmt.com

Reaction score
Everyone will have different views on this topic. Different guys get accustomed to different styles of books. You shouldn't buy your books until you have done a briefing of the available books in your library. Consult your teachers, your seniors, XPF members and then make your own judgement because choosing a book is a really important decision in A'levels given that you have umpteen amounts of books for each subject at this level. :p

For Chemistry, get the black book (Endorsed by Cambridge) first. It's the most essential book since it's directly according to the syllabus, precise and divided into AS and A2 topics which makes it efficient. For detailed reading get the E.N Ramsden book. My experience says that it's the teacher's notes that are the most vital for Chemistry in A'levels.

For Physics, get Accessible Physics or International Physics (Cambridge Endorsed) for precise, directly according to the syllabus reading and get Nelkon & Parker for detailed views.

For Maths and Further Maths the most important resources are the teacher's worksheets that are the best for practice. For references, you may get the the books mentioned by Nibz.

Reaction score
get CAMBRIDGE coursebook PHYSICS by gurinder chadha.....(new book) its the best book on physics i read so far....regarding a levels
get new cambridge chemistry coursebook + M.AYUB book

Reaction score
memyself15 said:
hey, anybody heard about A level Physics book by Longman.Is it a good book?
One ov my seniors suggested that to me..but she said u better practice questions from there !! :)

Reaction score
memyself15 said:
hey, anybody heard about A level Physics book by Longman.Is it a good book?

its one the best physics book out there!

it greatly enhances ur problem solving skills!! u should really get tht book and also UNDERSTANDING PHYSICS!

these 2 r enough to get an a* n ofc.... DA PAST PAPERS!

Reaction score
hey WELLWISHER,
i appeared in may/june 2011 session for As level, and i got an A in physics.LOL.
but , still thanks for telling. I appreciate it.

Reaction score
Listen carefully!!

On A-level chemistry book selection

There are many books for A-level chemistry. But you need to be familiar with the paper pattern of especially for A2 i.e paper 42. Paper 42 has troubled the student most (refer to the June 2010 paper whose percentile for A was 54-lowest in ten years)

The book that i believe is BEST is Advanced level Chemistry by Peter Cann.& P. Hughes, which is one of the CIE-endorsed books.The other is AS Level and A Level Chemistry (2004), B. Ratcliff. Keep in mind that a CIE-endorsed book and a reference book. Books quoted by others are textbooks or reference books. They contained jumbled and random information specially Ramsdan.

Peter Cann has everything you may expect to have in the CIE-exam whether AS or A2. It is detailed. Although Philip Mathews is detailed too but it unnecessarily long and has no relevance for CIE-content. Peter Cann is an organized book especially organic chemistry, physical chemistry and inorganic chemistry. The other books will only give you summarized charts.

For success in examination you must depend upon your teacher's notes. Second factor is how you approach past papers.

more detail later..

Reaction score
I forgot to comment on the new CIE-book For A-level chemistry.

1- It is a third-class book.

2-It is relevant to syllabus but does not contain which can fulfill students' demands

3- there is nothing new in it. It is very summarized specially inorganic chemistry.

4- For Application part: It is better that you read the Support Booklet than this third-class book. Support booklet will prepare you well for exam but read it many times not once.

Reaction score
I forgot to comment on the new CIE-book For A-level chemistry.

1- It is a third-class book.

2-It is relevant to syllabus but does not contain which can fulfill students' demands

3- there is nothing new in it. It is very summarized specially inorganic chemistry.

4- For Application part: It is better that you read the Support Booklet than this third-class book. Support booklet will prepare you well for exam but read it many times not once.
Guys, dont listen to him..it is the best book ever..it helped me score A stars in my school exams without even doing the past papers..just dont forget to do the questions from the CD :)

Reaction score
haha no they're awesome for me. You're a genius! You get your work done with the black Physics book. q: