• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Study plan for As level

Reaction score
Hi. I have started As level this year and since everyone is telling me to put 100 percent from the start so I need to know how much do I have study each day to get good grades. I was not a very high achiever in igs and managed to get 3A and 3B only. So please for those of you who I have got high grades in as level. I really need someone to guide me how to plan my learning time.

Reaction score
Hi. I have started As level this year and since everyone is telling me to put 100 percent from the start so I need to know how much do I have study each day to get good grades. I was not a very high achiever in igs and managed to get 3A and 3B only. So please for those of you who I have got high grades in as level. I really need someone to guide me how to plan my learning time.
The more you study the better. You should try three hours a day.
If you are learning from a school:
1) Before you attend a lesson (let's say chemistry) you need to PREVIEW it. This means reading from the textbook the topic the teacher is about to teach you next lesson. This helps in many ways, you'll be prepared for what is about to be taught, and you can clear any doubts you had in the lesson.
2) After you attend the lesson you need to REVIEW it. This means going back and reading that section again from the book. This solidifies your knowledge, and you get to confirm that you have understood everything within that topic. If you still don't understand something, you can consult the internet (like this site!), ask senior students at school, or ask the teacher next day.
3) You should do all the textbook questions on the topic, and check your answers, to evaluate your understanding. If you get something wrong, you need to ask yourself, "why did I get this question wrong?" Did you not understand the language of the question? Was your conceptual understanding not correct? Did you make a silly mistake? Then you need to work on it and fix it.

Hope that helped :)

Reaction score
Just revise each topic after you go home. And when any chapter gets completed, do its past papers. Also, do your best in the school/coaching center tests, dont take them lightly. After you get the marks, check your mistakes and practice more of that particular topic.It not very hard to get straight A's in AS.
I got 3A's in AS

Reaction score
The more you study the better. You should try three hours a day.
If you are learning from a school:
1) Before you attend a lesson (let's say chemistry) you need to PREVIEW it. This means reading from the textbook the topic the teacher is about to teach you next lesson. This helps in many ways, you'll be prepared for what is about to be taught, and you can clear any doubts you had in the lesson.
2) After you attend the lesson you need to REVIEW it. This means going back and reading that section again from the book. This solidifies your knowledge, and you get to confirm that you have understood everything within that topic. If you still don't understand something, you can consult the internet (like this site!), ask senior students at school, or ask the teacher next day.
3) You should do all the textbook questions on the topic, and check your answers, to evaluate your understanding. If you get something wrong, you need to ask yourself, "why did I get this question wrong?" Did you not understand the language of the question? Was your conceptual understanding not correct? Did you make a silly mistake? Then you need to work on it and fix it.

Hope that helped :)
thank you so much. but dont you think 3 hours a day is too less to study each day? and also right now i am not taking any coaching outside school.

Reaction score
Just revise each topic after you go home. And when any chapter gets completed, do its past papers. Also, do your best in the school/coaching center tests, dont take them lightly. After you get the marks, check your mistakes and practice more of that particular topic.It not very hard to get straight A's in AS.
I got 3A's in AS
how many hours did you study each day?

Reaction score
thank you so much. but dont you think 3 hours a day is too less to study each day? and also right now i am not taking any coaching outside school.
If your school teachers are good, you don't need any outside coaching. As for number of hours of studying, this depends on what we mean by studying. If for full three hours, you're doing solid studying (holding the book doesn't count) I think it should be fine. However, if you feel you can do much more, like I said, the more the better.
The main thing is to stay organized and consistent. Make a study schedule, and STICK TO IT.
I also recommend that you make summary notes after reading textbook, the more you write with pen on paper the more you learn.
Hope you do well :)

Reaction score
I got AABBBBBB (bad is an understatement) in olevels BUT A*AABB (yes I took 5 alevels. One of the five alevels I took 3 months before the final exam as a Composite. I had NO knowledge of the subject at all before I decide to take it in mid January)

Now what I did was I first finished all the syllabus for my subjects at least 3 to 4 times by myself. Let me tell you, it's actually VERY easy to finish your syllabus for all subjects. All you have to do is read and understand. While finishing your syllabus, highlight all the relevant sections and the parts you don't understand

My second tip is USE YOUR TEACHER. I pestered my biology teacher enormously, especially during the the last month, April, majority of students don't go to school because they're preparing. I on the other hand went to school till nearly he end. I sat with my biology teacher, told her I need help so she had to schedule time to help me etc basically I used my teachers attended classes , made sure she helped me if I didn't understand. I got ALL my past papers in the first term, so any question I didn't understand I would just mark it and take it to my teacher

Now this is VITAL for your exams, read EVERY EXAMINER REPORT. They are AMAZING, DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE IT! Go through every Pastpaper, Mark scheme and EXAMINER REPORT and write NOTES for your past papers, like certain questions which used a tricky approach

All in all I'll say towards the end I studied for about 5-6 hours however I would say I largely worked SMART not Too HARD. By start I mean I became familiar with what my examiners wanted to read and facts that would separate me from B or C grade student such as being up to date with the subject etc

Reaction score
I got AABBBBBB (bad is an understatement) in olevels BUT A*AABB (yes I took 5 alevels. One of the five alevels I took 3 months before the final exam as a Composite. I had NO knowledge of the subject at all before I decide to take it in mid January)

Now what I did was I first finished all the syllabus for my subjects at least 3 to 4 times by myself. Let me tell you, it's actually VERY easy to finish your syllabus for all subjects. All you have to do is read and understand. While finishing your syllabus, highlight all the relevant sections and the parts you don't understand

My second tip is USE YOUR TEACHER. I pestered my biology teacher enormously, especially during the the last month, April, majority of students don't go to school because they're preparing. I on the other hand went to school till nearly he end. I sat with my biology teacher, told her I need help so she had to schedule time to help me etc basically I used my teachers attended classes , made sure she helped me if I didn't understand. I got ALL my past papers in the first term, so any question I didn't understand I would just mark it and take it to my teacher

Now this is VITAL for your exams, read EVERY EXAMINER REPORT. They are AMAZING, DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE IT! Go through every Pastpaper, Mark scheme and EXAMINER REPORT and write NOTES for your past papers, like certain questions which used a tricky approach

All in all I'll say towards the end I studied for about 5-6 hours however I would say I largely worked SMART not Too HARD. By start I mean I became familiar with what my examiners wanted to read and facts that would separate me from B or C grade student such as being up to date with the subject etc
Amazing answer :)