• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire Reaction Thread

Reaction score
Why don't you like the third book? I thought it was the best of the three and dare I say it almost reaches the level of a masterpiece.
The third book was the worst of the three (it was still better than many other books I've read). The ending was too fast forward. Another book could have been written describing the trials, and her time back at 12 and how Katniss and Peeta fell for each other (again).

Reaction score
The third book was the worst of the three (it was still better than many other books I've read). The ending was too fast forward. Another book could have been written describing the trials, and her time back at 12 and how Katniss and Peeta fell for each other (again).
I completely agree with you. The first 2 books are epic...... the plot, the twist and turns and the mind blowing suspense!!! Just absolutely WOW! And the third book is amazing too but the ending........ too abrupt and short! I mean endings are the most important but this one was totally unsatisfactory. It should have been more detailed, maybe 6, 7chapters more. More detailed and descriptive..

Reaction score
I completely agree with you. The first 2 books are epic...... the plot, the twist and turns and the mind blowing suspense!!! Just absolutely WOW! And the third book is amazing too but the ending........ too abrupt and short! I mean endings are the most important but this one was totally unsatisfactory. It should have been more detailed, maybe 6, 7chapters more. More detailed and descriptive..
Where Mockingjay separates from other books – in the YA genre or otherwise – is that it stayed true to the fact that when wars are over, nothing remains hunky dory. Lives are lost, and the grief is there to remain through the lifetimes of those who remain.
Whether the establishment, or the soldiers who fought.
The Capitol’s tyranny, for example, didn’t turn out that tyrannical as Soldier Everdeen thought. And the person who was the real villain in her eyes was the one who was instigating the masses against this “tyranny”, who was holding up her – the rallying point “Mockingjay” for the public. I won’t say the concept of Hunger Games wasn’t diabolical enough on its own – but what President Coin was doing was power politics and automatically, hidden evil. At least Snow’s intentions were clear.
From the very beginning of the book as the plot unfolded, we were clearly shown that no situation is stark black or white. There are shades of gray that cannot be ignored and are, in fact, crucial part of the whole situation. Plutarch, for example, wasn’t a perfect character. But he stays in the minds of people because he takes over things and understands things others couldn’t.
It’s not about being virtuous – because you are going to be criticized anyway.
The rebellion was against Peeta, was it not? What for – what was his fault except that he was locked in some dark chamber and tortured, injected with tracker jackers and was left in a condition certainly undeniably worse than death?
But in the eyes of the public, he was what was presented through Television – the media. A manipulated version of several things – just like Katniss’s propos were done now that we think of it.
Power politics is a tough nut to crack – and yes, that brings us to the moral dilemmas of cracking the NUT.
What were Katniss’s options? Did she really think they can leave these people and continue with the rebellion still? No. As a matter of fact, she was acting on emotions. Calling truce was Peeta’s idea. Or was it?
How do we know this is NOT what Snow might have done – when he was good and cornered? Don’t we hear how he was ready to surrender?
Prim needn’t have to die. But when we see this from a neutral point of view, Prim is the focus. The girl who was supposed to have a secure future was the one who paid the price. Katniss was sure nothing could harm her because Snow couldn’t reach her. Where in fact, Snow was sorry for the unnecessary loss. His words are perfectly political – what we hear politicians across the world speak of. Was he evil during those moments? I actually side with Snow here.
Also the irony in Prim’s death is that she was far more vulnerable in the previous two books – out in the open where Snow, Peacemakers – anyone could reach her, kill her within a second. But she survived that. Only to be sacrificed in a war. For her sister.
In my opinion, Prim’s death was the perfect catalyst in bringing forth Katniss Everdeen’s better judgement. Prim’s sacrifice was the focal point of the book which shattered the myths of any sense of security during the upheaval.
The solutions to the war could have never been simple. They never will be. But a full fledged assault on civilians as well was uncalled for on the rebellion’s part if they really were talking rights and protection from the Capitol’s evil doings.
So to speak – this book is a very good look into what state the world is in today. Look at Iraq, Afghanistan, Darfur or Kashmir. We read about things in the media. But like the heavily pampered public of the Capitol, we’re all lapping up what is shown in the media. This happens, but nobody would have the guts to voice their real opinions. If they do they’re drowned by the “powers that be” and media.
Truly, if you ever gaze into the eyes of a battle hardened soldier, you’ll think twice before you think of war.
To sum it up, Suzanne Collins dares to write what people just hear a whisper of. A truly marvellous writer, she deserves an applaud for this wrenchingly true narrative.
This is why Mockingjay is epic. It stays true to the spirit of the utter desolation of wars, emotions lost, lives suppressed and human rights violations.

Reaction score
Now you see why I think this book reaches an almost masterpiece level? And I cant wait what the film adaptation of Mockingjay will be like in the end . Unfortunately, the actor who played Plutarch Heavensbee, Philip Seymour Hoffman has passed away. And right in his prime years of acting. We have truly lost a sensational actor of versatile range. The way he disappears into a role is a rare gift, only granted to a few people on this earth.May he rest in peace as he gave us such memorable performances from such memorable characters. Still, I think Mockingjay Part 2 would be great way to end his legendary career as an actor.

Reaction score
catching fire was really good....Katniss was really pretty!....but i read mockingjay and it was quite intersting but it was very sad when prim dies...

Reaction score
Now you see why I think this book reaches an almost masterpiece level? And I cant wait what the film adaptation of Mockingjay will be like in the end . Unfortunately, the actor who played Plutarch Heavensbee, Philip Seymour Hoffman has passed away. And right in his prime years of acting. We have truly lost a sensational actor of versatile range. The way he disappears into a role is a rare gift, only granted to a few people on this earth.May he rest in peace as he gave us such memorable performances from such memorable characters. Still, I think Mockingjay Part 2 would be great way to end his legendary career as an actor.
I understand your point of view, but the book is narrated by Katniss herself and the story revolves around her; not much about the world. And it really gets boring when someone is living in a room and not knowing what's happening anywhere. even she herself gets bored. lol

Reaction score
The books will obviously always be liked more than the film cos they designed a feeling of atmosphere and atmosphere for the visitors so we know EXACTLY what Panem is about. Looking at the trailer, I can say that Capturing Flame is probably better than THG, but it can't ever be as excellent as the guide.

earnest sewn | juicy velour

Reaction score
The books will obviously always be liked more than the film cos they designed a feeling of atmosphere and atmosphere for the visitors so we know EXACTLY what Panem is about. Looking at the trailer, I can say that Capturing Flame is probably better than THG, but it can't ever be as excellent as the guide.

earnest sewn | juicy velour
Like I said way back in this thread, films CAN do exactly more and them some. There are always exceptions to everything such as the Lord of the Rings trilogy (movies vs books). J RR Tolkein was just interested in making a world really and nothing else. The characters are one-dimensionally flat with the humans, elves, hobbits and dwarves the good guys and the orcs, Sauron, goblins the bad guys( The whole white and black extremes of the characters). The plot was also dragging and the last book anti-climatic in its resolution and contrived in its plotting. Its not that I enjoy a good archetype "good vs. evil" story of any medium but it just got ridiculous at one point and made me turn away from the books. The movies on the other hand, brilliant in pacing, adding more life to the dull characters in the books, and doing most the rights the books failed do to so themselves etc etc.Peter Jackson made it at least bearable, nay enjoyable, of the whole good vs. evil thing in the series. This is just my opinion but don't just go and say everyone thinks that every book is better than their adaptations.