• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

The sad state of this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I like this forum tbh but my God is it so painful to read text from it. The black background hurts my eyes and makes reading anything of this website a living hell.

Not to mention when I switch back to normal and decent websites with white foreground, I get this sort of an afterimage of the text I was reading in my mind/eyes. It's exhausting browsing this forum.

The forum got a wealth of content but it's pathetic that all of us have to endure a crappy sort of a forum. At least give us the option to choose another theme that's light if you believe this 'grey text on black' theme is the 'image' of xtremepapers. It will make lives better.

/rant off.
kthxbai.

http://www.terminally-incoherent.com/stuff/lod-vs-dol/index.html // this is an example how dark vs light feels like.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I like this forum tbh but my God is it so painful to read text from it. The black background hurts my eyes and makes reading anything of this website a living hell.

Not to mention when I switch back to normal and decent websites with white foreground, I get this sort of an afterimage of the text I was reading in my mind/eyes. It's exhausting browsing this forum.

The forum got a wealth of content but it's pathetic that all of us have to endure a crappy sort of a forum. At least give us the option to choose another theme that's light if you believe this 'grey text on black' theme is the 'image' of xtremepapers. It will make lives better.

/rant off.
kthxbai.
SalmanPakRocks
XPFMember

Reaction score
Racism, racism everywhere!!! xD :p We've begun judging sites on their color. :D Look at where the world has come to....
Come on... its not that bad. Infact many people like the combination. Personally, I find it cool too. Just use it under some good lighting.
And if I remember I think it is so due to the founder's preferences.

"Crappy" "Pathetic"...? I thinks thats way too harsh.

Reaction score
It is fine that some users prefer the current theme but it has been proven countless times that white on black burns an after-image in the retinas. This is precisely why major article-based websites and journals use black on white because it doesn't hurt the reader's eyes.

It is cool that this is the founder's preference, sure, but at least give the users the power to change to a light theme. Let the black theme be the default. This isn't a dictatorship, lol... or is it?

I honestly don't want to message the moderators, administrators, or the founders. Isn't it their responsibility to look after the forum they moderate and read these topics?

Here is also a website that illustrators my point http://www.terminally-incoherent.com/stuff/lod-vs-dol/index.html. Apparently if I read a lengthy thread with lots of comments, I'll definitely have an afterimage burn for quite some time.

Seriously, this is a basic feature everywhere. It should be implemented.

Reaction score
It is fine that some users prefer the current theme but it has been proven countless times that white on black burns an after-image in the retinas. This is precisely why major article-based websites and journals use black on white because it doesn't hurt the reader's eyes.

It is cool that this is the founder's preference, sure, but at least give the users the power to change to a light theme. Let the black theme be the default. This isn't a dictatorship, lol... or is it?

I honestly don't want to message the moderators, administrators, or the founders. Isn't it their responsibility to look after the forum they moderate and read these topics?

Here is also a website that illustrators my point http://www.terminally-incoherent.com/stuff/lod-vs-dol/index.html. Apparently if I read a lengthy thread with lots of comments, I'll definitely have an afterimage burn for quite some time.

Seriously, this is a basic feature everywhere. It should be implemented.
That website doesnt really illustrate your point. I tried it.
lod ftw.

Reaction score

/rant off.
kthxbai.

http://www.terminally-incoherent.com/stuff/lod-vs-dol/dark.html // this is an example how dark vs light feels like.
Ya Allah! Dramatic, much? :p
A lot of us have been using this forum for over a year now, and sometimes for hours on end. We and our eyes were doing very well, Alhamdulillah, no black burns or anything else, trust me. :D And you're right, this colour combo has come to define xpc now..
You should try adjusting your own screen lighting though. (y)
No hard feelings brother!

Reaction score
Ya Allah! Dramatic, much? :p
A lot of us have been using this forum for over a year now, and sometimes for hours on end. We and our eyes were doing very well, Alhamdulillah, no black burns or anything else, trust me. :D And you're right, this colour combo has come to define xpc now..
You should try adjusting your own screen lighting though. (y)
No hard feelings brother!

Keyword: were. I guess they don't work well now? lol.

What am I suggesting is to provide the users the option to be able to use a light-coloured theme than this. It is proven that black-on-white is far superior than any other colour scheme. What's so difficult about it? Every other forum incorporates the ability to change the theme except this forum which is such a shame.

Why is there no support for this particular feature? It is a simple and basic thing and for the best.

-------------------

Here is quote from a paper titled “Improving the legibility of visual display units through contrast reversal". Food for thought.
However, most studies have shown that dark characters on a light background are superior to light characters on a dark background (when the refresh rate is fairly high). For example, Bauer and Cavonius (1980) found that participants were 26% more accurate in reading text when they read it with dark characters on a light background.

Reference: Bauer, D., & Cavonius, C., R. (1980). Improving the legibility of visual display units through contrast reversal. In E. Grandjean, E. Vigliani (Eds.), Ergonomic Aspects of Visual Display Terminals (pp. 137-142). London: Taylor & Francis
Okay, 26% readability improvement on black on white--- but why?
People with astigmatism (aproximately 50% of the population) find it harder to read white text on black than black text on white. Part of this has to do with light levels: with a bright display (white background) the iris closes a bit more, decreasing the effect of the "deformed" lens; with a dark display (black background) the iris opens to receive more light and the deformation of the lens creates a much fuzzier focus at the eye.

Jason Harrison – Post Doctoral Fellow, Imager Lab Manager – Sensory Perception and Interaction Research Group, University of British Columbia

It is just the common sense to provide a light-theme when 50% of the population finds it easier to read with.

I rest my case.

Last edited:
Reaction score
xeophystaus

"find it harder to read black text on white than black text on white "..... check your quote, someone might misunderstand it... though your request is a very sensible one .... but in order to understand why the site developer will most likely NOT change anything, you must understand the decision making process check the links below they are a fun read
http://www.lazard.com/media/34765/d...nequityinvesting_lazardinvestmentresearch.pdf
http://www.lazardnet.com/docs/sp0/2953/Decision-MakingProcessesInEquity_LazardResearch.pdf

Reaction score
xeophystaus

"find it harder to read black text on white than black text on white "..... check your quote, someone might misunderstand it... though your request is a very sensible one .... but in order to understand why the site developer will most likely NOT change anything, you must understand the decision making process check the links below they are a fun read
http://www.lazard.com/media/34765/d...nequityinvesting_lazardinvestmentresearch.pdf
http://www.lazardnet.com/docs/sp0/2953/Decision-MakingProcessesInEquity_LazardResearch.pdf

Fixed. I copied it straight from a wiki page.

Okay. Well, this topic shall act as a request. Hopefully something will be done about it. Otherwise, it is disappointing to have a large forum as this w/o this particular common and basic feature.

Reaction score
Racism, racism everywhere!!! xD :p We've begun judging sites on their color. :D Look at where the world has come to....
Come on... its not that bad. Infact many people like the combination. Personally, I find it cool too. Just use it under some good lighting.

"Crappy" "Pathetic"...? I thinks thats way too harsh.
*Content Removed*

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.