• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

This Question Is Botherin Me For Sometime

Reaction score
I have been stuck in the middle of these two for a while. I can't find firm ground and I'm to hear your opinion on this issue:

Is it better to work on your natural strengths & gifts

OR

Is it better to work on strengthening that which you are weak in, to bring you toward balance/wholeness of personality/character?.

Reaction score
Not only you but everyone should know the basics but what you got naturally stick to it and master it and make your own identity by it.

Reaction score
Here's a story that will hold the answer to your question but you will have to think about it first.I too once struggled with the same question but this story thought me a great deal.

A merchant sent his son to learn the Secret of Happiness from the wisest of men. The young man wandered through the desert for forty days until he reached a beautiful castle at the top of a mountain. There lived the sage that the young man was looking for.
However, instead of finding a holy man, our hero entered a room and saw a great deal of activity; merchants coming and going, people chatting in the corners, a small orchestra playing sweet melodies, and there was a table laden with the most delectable dishes of that part of the world.
The wise man talked to everybody, and the young man had to wait for two hours until it was time for his audience.
The Sage listened attentively to the reason for the boy’s visit, but told him that at that moment he did not have the time to explain to him the Secret of Happiness.
He suggested that the young man take a stroll around his palace and come back in two hours’ time.
“However, I want to ask you a favor,” he added, handling the boy a teaspoon, in which he poured two drops of oil. “While you walk, carry this spoon and don’t let the oil spill.”
The young man began to climb up and down the palace staircases, always keeping his eyes fixed on the spoon. At the end of two hours he returned to the presence of the wise man.
“So,” asked the sage, “did you see the Persian tapestries hanging in my dining room? Did you see the garden that the Master of Gardeners took ten years to create? Did you notice the beautiful parchments in my library?”
Embarrassed, the young man confessed that he had seen nothing. His only concern was not to spill the drops of oil that the wise man had entrusted to him.
“So, go back and see the wonders of my world,” said the wise man. “You can’t trust a man if you don’t know his house.”
Now more at ease, the young man took the spoon and strolled again through the palace, this time paying attention to all the works of art that hung from the ceiling and walls.
He saw the gardens, the mountains all around the palace, the delicacy of the flowers, the taste with which each work of art was placed in its niche. Returning to the sage, he reported in detail all that he had seen.
“But where are the two drops of oil that I entrusted to you?” asked the sage.
Looking down at the spoon, the young man realized that he had spilled the oil.
“Well, that is the only advice I have to give you,” said the sage of sages.
“The Secret of Happiness lies in looking at all the wonders of the world and never forgetting the two drops of oil in the spoon.”

If you need more elaboration just ask , I hope it helps , BTW the story is from the book "the alchemist " read thewhole book its short but effective.:D
Smile - its a Sunnah :):D;)

Reaction score
I have been stuck in the middle of these two for a while. I can't find firm ground and I'm to hear your opinion on this issue:

OR

Is it better to work on strengthening that which you are weak in, to bring you toward balance/wholeness of personality/character?.

Life allows us enough time to do both.

Reaction score

OR

Make your natural strengths and gifts a way to strengthen your weaknesses:)

Reaction score
I think you should aim to strengthen your weakness that you aren't already good at. You know what your talent is and it's going to stay with you for your lifetime but polishing those skills which you aren't good at will help in building up a better personality and would truly reflect your own potential!

Reaction score
Here's a story that will hold the answer to your question but you will have to think about it first.I too once struggled with the same question but this story thought me a great deal.

A merchant sent his son to learn the Secret of Happiness from the wisest of men. The young man wandered through the desert for forty days until he reached a beautiful castle at the top of a mountain. There lived the sage that the young man was looking for.
However, instead of finding a holy man, our hero entered a room and saw a great deal of activity; merchants coming and going, people chatting in the corners, a small orchestra playing sweet melodies, and there was a table laden with the most delectable dishes of that part of the world.
The wise man talked to everybody, and the young man had to wait for two hours until it was time for his audience.
The Sage listened attentively to the reason for the boy’s visit, but told him that at that moment he did not have the time to explain to him the Secret of Happiness.
He suggested that the young man take a stroll around his palace and come back in two hours’ time.
“However, I want to ask you a favor,” he added, handling the boy a teaspoon, in which he poured two drops of oil. “While you walk, carry this spoon and don’t let the oil spill.”
The young man began to climb up and down the palace staircases, always keeping his eyes fixed on the spoon. At the end of two hours he returned to the presence of the wise man.
“So,” asked the sage, “did you see the Persian tapestries hanging in my dining room? Did you see the garden that the Master of Gardeners took ten years to create? Did you notice the beautiful parchments in my library?”
Embarrassed, the young man confessed that he had seen nothing. His only concern was not to spill the drops of oil that the wise man had entrusted to him.
“So, go back and see the wonders of my world,” said the wise man. “You can’t trust a man if you don’t know his house.”
Now more at ease, the young man took the spoon and strolled again through the palace, this time paying attention to all the works of art that hung from the ceiling and walls.
He saw the gardens, the mountains all around the palace, the delicacy of the flowers, the taste with which each work of art was placed in its niche. Returning to the sage, he reported in detail all that he had seen.
“But where are the two drops of oil that I entrusted to you?” asked the sage.
Looking down at the spoon, the young man realized that he had spilled the oil.
“Well, that is the only advice I have to give you,” said the sage of sages.
“The Secret of Happiness lies in looking at all the wonders of the world and never forgetting the two drops of oil in the spoon.”

If you need more elaboration just ask , I hope it helps , BTW the story is from the book "the alchemist " read thewhole book its short but effective.:D

I read something similar in the Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. Good post (y)

Reaction score
you cant do both mate, there are loads of weaknesses and strenghts of a human. life is too short, by the time youre 60 you cant continue on.

Defeatist mindset. Get rid of that, mate. It won't get you anywhere.

Man is the only creature that can do both. Only.