• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Tips For Studying Chemistry!

Reaction score
Okay here are some tips on how to study chemistry. First I'll explain about organic chemistry and then I'll upload tips on studying more of the chemistry on a later date since I have my exams going on. Okay here it goes....

Students consider the organic chemistry very difficult and call it ''The Impossible Subject". Indeed , organic chemistry can be very difficult but it is manageable. It can also be rewarding. Here I offer you a good, simple to follow plan that will allow you to get the king of high grades you want in organic chemistry.

1. Have a Desire to Learn. Never Cram Organic Chemistry

Learning Organic Chemistry does not require any special talent. In order to succeed in your study of organic chemistry,
you need only the desire to learn and the willingness to work hard.

Organic Chemistry is not a subject that can be crammed. Many students make the mistake of trying to memorise this subject. An understanding of the basic principles is more important than just memorization. It is true that facts must be learned , but you will be confused by them unless you understand them first.

2. Read Carefully. Never Skip Topics.

First read each chapter carefully. Then close your book and try to reproduce the key facts you have studied. Be specific and write them dow. This technique will rapidly reveal which items you know well and which require further study. Then spend more time on the items which caused trouble.

Organic Chemistry is cumulative. That is, what you learn today is a basis for new material tomorrow. It is important that you attempt to master each topic/cocept before going to new one. So, do not read selectively.

3. Never Get Behind. Set Deadlines.

Some of us have poor study habbits. A fatal sin in organic chemistry is to fall behind. Attemts at cramming a night or two before an examination bring the ghasty realization that the subject cannot be quickly learned. Also, thepace of the course does not allow much breathing space to catch up once something is done. Studying organic chemistry for one hour every day is much better than studying seven hours on a Sunday.

4. Learn the Basic of Organic Structures. Master Nomenclature.

If you do not know to name a simple compound, like alcohol or an alkene or eher, you will fail every test. Guaranteed!

The whole language of Organic Chemistry is based on nomenclature and basic structures. The more you learn these basics, the easier it will be to understand how chemical reactions affect them. If you can easily pick out alcohols, carboxylic acids, and hydrocarbons and name them, you will be in a very good postion to start understanding how and why reactions occur. Practice, Pratice, Practice! Nomenclature is easy to understand once you have done it a few times.

5. Study Actively, Use Lots of Paper and Pencil

Write the structures, reactions and mechanisms over and over again. Organic Chemstry is best assimalated by writing, and not by simply reading. There is a good reason for this. Organic structures, reactions and mechanisms are complex. If you simple examine them, you may think you understand them thouroughly. This level of understanding comes to most of us through writing. Only by writing we pay attension to the details, such as, which atoms are connected to which atoms, which bonds break in a reaction and which form. When we write reactions and mechanisms, connections are made in our brains that provide the long-term memory needed for Success in Organic Chemistry. I can guarantee that your score in organic chemisstry is directly propotional to the number of pages of paper that you fill with your own writing in studying during this course.

6. Do A Lot Of Practice Problems. You Cannot Hit a Sixer if You Have Never Swung the Bat Before.

Lets face it. The standard measuring stick for your performance is your performance on examinations. These are composed of problems that you must solve on your own, withour reference to notes or textbook.

It is extremely imporatnt that you apply what you have learned. The ideas/concepts will not be fixed in your mind untill you pt them to use. To achieve this, do the problems given at the end of each chapter. Solve as many problems as you can. Do them without notes and do not peak at the answers. If you cannot understand them, read the text again. Do problems all of the time, not just the day before the exam. This will ensure success in examinations.

7. Stay Stress-Free

Keep yourself stress-free. This is because stress affects your memory and concentration. It makes you feel tired. Stress reduces your efficiency. Relieve yourself of extra strain by setting goals and keeping a diary.

The above guide should successfully lead you thrugh the trials and tribulations of Organic Chemstry.
Good Luck!!!(and remember always-carbon only has four bonds!)

"The bottom line is that Organic Chemistry is fun, it is addictive, and, if onehas a sense of curiosity, it can be tremendously entertaining, appealing and rewarding"

A Tip That scouserlfc wrote...
"Since most of us hate chemistry one big rule everyone shud remember is that if u r bad at something it doesnt mean u dont try,most of the children just give up before even trying thats the biggest case why we hate it and seeing that we dont understand it in school we just dont try it ourselves so it is never loose hope when doin chemistry especially if u hate it and never got an A grade in it before !"

P.S it took me a lot of time in writing this! so please if it helped remember me in your prayers! :)
oh and plz dont mind my poor english... :oops:

Reaction score
plz if some one has some tips on how to study chemistry then feel free to upload them....I'll keep on editing my first post...

Reaction score
Since most of us hate chemistry one big rule everyone shud remember is that if u r bad at something it doesnt mean u dont try,most of the children just give up before even trying thats the biggest case why we hate it and seeing that we dont understand it in school we just dont try it ourselves so it is never loose hope when doin chemistry especially if u hate it and never got an A grade in it before !