• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

To ALL who have chosen BIOLOGY at A LEVELS

Reaction score
A piece of advice for all of you who have chosen to take A level biology in alvls ... watever happens .. please take maths as an additional subject .. does not matter if your classes have started and you are not studying maths... you should go talk wid your principal and opt for maths alongside biology

Heres why ... our mcat results for 2010 were announced and well .. so many of those taking the alevel or non fsc mcat have failed to score 60 % marks ; they have failed. and as a result they are now ineligible to apply to any medical university in punjab . i know thrs some court case going on and theres a chance unis will ignore that ... but still .. y take the risk . Those of my friends who had only taken bio chem and phy .. they have now no place to go .. they have only two options .. w8 a year and try again or try the "donations" and safarishi method ... im lucky i passed the mcat and have also the engin and other sides to apply to .. but i just feel sad for so many of my friends who have failed the mcat . Pakistan mein medical ka scene bohat mushkil hai ... and next year i think phir mcat sirf fsc say hoga ..

So guys and gals ... go ask around and make some decisions now .. i STRONGLY advise you take maths alongside BIO .
if you are not to take my word for it .. please just ask around .. alevels walon kay saath bohat bad scene hua hai is bar .

Reaction score
thank you very much.from months i was waitin for such kind of advice bt i was wonderin that mcat for a levels was separate so hw a level students failed the exam.i was thinkin this was the time for a levels students bt.........

Reaction score
I don't want to brag and all but I've been saying this to all those who ask me this question "For Medical, go for A Level or FSC" and I always tell them to opt for FSC even if the so called Non-FSC MCAT tests have been introduced. Just because they are biased and A Level doesn't cover most of the required syllabus for medical entry tests!

I think I recommended FSC to a few other members of these forums as well in previous months or so, at that time many were against my suggestion *whistling*

Good luck!

Reaction score
Garret said:
A piece of advice for all of you who have chosen to take A level biology in alvls ... watever happens .. please take maths as an additional subject .. does not matter if your classes have started and you are not studying maths... you should go talk wid your principal and opt for maths alongside biology

Heres why ... our mcat results for 2010 were announced and well .. so many of those taking the alevel or non fsc mcat have failed to score 60 % marks ; they have failed. and as a result they are now ineligible to apply to any medical university in punjab . i know thrs some court case going on and theres a chance unis will ignore that ... but still .. y take the risk . Those of my friends who had only taken bio chem and phy .. they have now no place to go .. they have only two options .. w8 a year and try again or try the "donations" and safarishi method ... im lucky i passed the mcat and have also the engin and other sides to apply to .. but i just feel sad for so many of my friends who have failed the mcat . Pakistan mein medical ka scene bohat mushkil hai ... and next year i think phir mcat sirf fsc say hoga ..

So guys and gals ... go ask around and make some decisions now .. i STRONGLY advise you take maths alongside BIO .
if you are not to take my word for it .. please just ask around .. alevels walon kay saath bohat bad scene hua hai is bar .

Thanks 4 info.In Mauritius we are obliged to do Statistics in Maths if we opt for Biology.

Reaction score
@ Naila, please giving futile responses to every thread and imposing what is going in Mauritius over us !

Reaction score
aristotle said:
@ Naila, please giving futile responses to every thread and imposing what is going in Mauritius over us !

Sorry I just wanted to share.Did I do a right thing or a bad thing.

Reaction score
Garret said:

This is a good piece of advice. However, i dont know what happened to the A level students in MCAT this year as the paper was almost totally from within our syllabus. I also gave the exam and a hadnt prepared a word from FSc and i hadn't even joined institutions like KIPS etc. and still, by the grace of Allah, i was able to pass it with 80+ %. And frankly, i was pretty happy when i saw the content of the paper. We can't blame UHS this time.

Reaction score
shooter said:
Garret said:

This is a good piece of advice. However, i dont know what happened to the A level students in MCAT this year as the paper was almost totally from within our syllabus. I also gave the exam and a hadnt prepared a word from FSc and i hadn't even joined institutions like KIPS etc. and still, by the grace of Allah, i was able to pass it with 80+ %. And frankly, i was pretty happy when i saw the content of the paper. We can't blame UHS this time.

The ANSWER KEY was TAMPERED.How cud someone ask such simple questions to calculate increase in gravitational potential energy.That was intentional and i guess they had 10% questions with wrong key!

Reaction score
hey hey..hold on your horses...who says it was an A-level based? its non-Fsc...can be from any where...they have to cater students from other non-Fsc boards as well....chill-out medical aint a gud option for A-level students here in Pak.!

Mhm

Reaction score
Guys I am studying in Karachi... I have Bio chem phys and GP ... I joined in late so couldn't take Maths and as I didn't have Additional Mathematics in O levels people told me Maths would be difficult for me! So as a result I did not take Maths in A levels!
And I just gave my AS papers in June.

Secondly next year I will be applying in Agha Khan Dow etc ... They have their own entry tests unified for both Fsc and A levels! Fsc students who have bio don't have MAths... so DUHS doesn't include Maths! And Aku from what I've heard has questions from Maths similar to those in O level Maths and SATs ....

So my question is do I still take MAths :( Even though I'm sure it will affect my grades in other subjects?

Mhm

Reaction score
@syed.muzahir.rizvi I tried the Fsc option after O levels ... Believe me it was the worst time of my life! O level students specially those who are outgoing can't fit in with the system... I was there I know! And there are many students who do their A levels and do get into Medical colleges in Pakistan! So saying it's a bad option is wrong!

Reaction score
If you are good in ur A lvl studies .. then you wont have much problems in AKU test ... but then again .. look at how few people are able to get into AKU .... It is my personal opinion that all a levels students who take biology ..should also take maths .. just to be on the safe side .

Other than that .. if you dont mind me saying it ... id suggest u drop GP and take math .. GP wont help u much in geting to medical institutions .. To get into medical institues in pakistan .. the entry tests matter .. and ur science subjects .. not GP.

Reaction score
but as u said u just gave ur AS papers .. so changing ur subjects now will be difficult and will require quite some willpower to make such decisions .. so just consult with ur parents........... and if u dont want to change .. make sure you study hard . Because in the end if you are good enough in your studies and able to get good scores in ur entry tests .. then you dont really need maths and the alternate route for engineering.

Mhm

Reaction score
Thanks Garret .... I see what you are trying to say .... GP is compulsory in our school and I heard the government universities like DOW and SMC require English and for some odd reasons they consider GP lol and not even English Language ... I don't want to go into engineering! And I know very few people get into AKU but then I'll also apply in Dow ziauddin etc.

Reaction score
Garret said:

Good advice!I suggest the same!

Reaction score
Mhm said:
@syed.muzahir.rizvi I tried the Fsc option after O levels ... Believe me it was the worst time of my life! O level students specially those who are outgoing can't fit in with the system... I was there I know! And there are many students who do their A levels and do get into Medical colleges in Pakistan! So saying it's a bad option is wrong!
Ur rite! I tried FSc after O level and after 1 year of hell, i decided to give A level papers in bio, chem and phy privately.
NOw ive got 83% in MCAT and if i get a good result in A level then i'll have a chance to make it into Punjabs medical colleges. So A level isn't totally a bad option, although taking Maths along with bio does increase your options.

Mhm

Reaction score
I agree :) I would have taken Maths myself in the beginning if not for FSc which wasted my time :(