• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

tri iodomethane reaction

Reaction score
Hey can ny1 plz explain dis reaction (tri-iodomethane) nd wat is it used fr....?

Reaction score
its used to find a ketone. if it turns yellow ppt, it shows that theres a ketone group in the molucule

Reaction score
some times alcohols also give it?? m i rite??
n r u sure abt ketones?? what i think is that they dont have a specific test apart from 2,4 DNP :S

mak

Reaction score
tri iodo methane test is given by the compounds having these in their formulas,

CH3RCHOH , like the C atom is joined to H, CH3, OH nd any R group....

nd CH3COR.... like the C atom is join to CH3, nd a double bond with O , nd Any R....

Reaction score
mak said:

nd CH3COR.... like the C atom is join to CH3, nd a double bond with O , nd Any R....

it helps.. :)

mak

Reaction score
mista.lova.lova said:
mak said:

it helps.. :)

Shukar ay :p meri b kisi ko samajh aae :p

Reaction score
Ok... Here is a compound.. Tell me the products formed... Take a paper and pencil for ur ease.. C in the middle.. with CH3 on left and right side.. OH on top.. and H on the bottom.. Definitely it will show triodomethane test but what will be the products..?? Anyone??

Reaction score
iodoforms are used to identify a )ch3o group and b)ketone and as a result yellow ppt is formed

Reaction score
8as4as said:
Ok... Here is a compound.. Tell me the products formed... Take a paper and pencil for ur ease.. C in the middle.. with CH3 on left and right side.. OH on top.. and H on the bottom.. Definitely it will show triodomethane test but what will be the products..?? Anyone??
CHI3 + CH3COONa (with charges)