• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Unit 3B Chemistry :) How was the exams? Comment here :P

Reaction score
Can someone please reply?

One more thing, for the diagram of distillation, I don't know why, but I put the thermometer in a test tube. It was in the correct place, but I just put it in a test tube, I don't know why, how many marks do you reckon I'd get out of 3?

I checked mark schemes of previous years for that diagram, the marks are for:
"Round-bottomed/pear-shaped flask (and
contents) and heat/mantle/water bath (1)
Still-head with stoppered thermometer
opposite opening to condenser (1)
Condenser with water flowing up(1)
Collection of product from an unsealed
apparatus either as shown or from a delivery
tube into a flask/beaker or straight from the
condenser into flask/beaker. (1)"

I did all the above perfect, except I put the thermometer in a test tube How much would I get for it?

Reaction score
i was hoping for an A so that if i get a low mark in unit 2 its still an average mark, but it seems a bit hard now.

Reaction score
in question 1 the alcohol part, i wrote instead of 1 degree and 2 degree aldehyde and ketone, is that considered wrong????

Reaction score
umm just wondering.... will i be not given a mark if in the first question i just said primary alcohol instead of aldehyde?>
/

Reaction score
umm just wondering.... will i be not given a mark if in the first question i just said primary alcohol instead of aldehyde?>
/
the answer is primary and secondary alcohol .. it isn't an aldehyde bcoz aldehydes don't have OH group, and the sample clearly has an OH group sincce misty fumes were formed when tested with PCl5