• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Unit 3B Chemistry :) How was the exams? Comment here :P

Reaction score
Some questions I remember:
1) Why do you add the Iodine in small quantities?
2)Why use anhydrous calcium sulphate?
3) What is the 9th step?
4) Why is this question not suitable for large-scale manufacturing? (last question)

oh also
Why observations would you see when you add NaI to ---- don't rem?
1. u sure the question is structured right? if so its due to the reaction being very exothermic... 2) its a drying agent and it needs to be dry so to able to absorb the water/aq solution... i only wrote the first half :-/ wrote absorb part but crossed out telling myself dont try to be smart :p 3) (re)distillation 4) wide range of answers my topper friend said re phos is expensive and the 80% yeild is low... i went with the safety approach... HCl gas produced which is toxic... i wrote acidic so its a hazard... sily explanation :p also butan 1 ol is flammable so could explode and lastly the reaction is very/highly exothermic which would back the butan 1 ol explosion statement... last one is nai and h2so4 u will see purple vapour HI and black solid I2... my friend wrote steamy fumes instead of iodine i think thatll be in ignore since all 3 na halides produce it so its nothing special...

Reaction score
two ways to do that question 2x0.5/46.5 x100 gets u 2.15% so 2.2%... or 47.5-46.5/46.5 x 100

Reaction score
1. u sure the question is structured right? if so its due to the reaction being very exothermic... 2) its a drying agent and it needs to be dry so to able to absorb the water/aq solution... i only wrote the first half :-/ wrote absorb part but crossed out telling myself dont try to be smart :p 3) (re)distillation 4) wide range of answers my topper friend said re phos is expensive and the 80% yeild is low... i went with the safety approach... HCl gas produced which is toxic... i wrote acidic so its a hazard... sily explanation :p also butan 1 ol is flammable so could explode and lastly the reaction is very/highly exothermic which would back the butan 1 ol explosion statement... last one is nai and h2so4 u will see purple vapour HI and black solid I2... my friend wrote steamy fumes instead of iodine i think thatll be in ignore since all 3 na halides produce it so its nothing special...
hey do u remembr how many marks its worth? all qustn 3?

Reaction score
in calculating the energy of the reaction were we supposed to use 50 or 55?

Reaction score
Do they care about the spelling? If yes.. Im finished :'(
well if the spelling gives a whole meaning of a completely existent different word then maybe yes..if not like u said the vigorous spelling was wrong by only adding a 'u' then dont wrryyy...this info is written in the markscheme so u can chill and focus on the upcoming units the worth 40% each this unit only worths 20%

Reaction score
if i lose 15 will it be a B or a C
dont wrryy it depends on the curve i.e how hard was the paper for the overall candidates but judging 15 marks that would be a B when u compare it to january 2013 examination boundary which was helll easier than this...so chillllll

Reaction score
For question 1 - I wrote something about the reaction being very exothermic/volatile
2 - I think it should have been something about the drying agent but I wrote some fake stuff (water/needs further distillation)
3-
3- redistillation
4- i wrote some nonsense for that..not sure about my answer..