• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

University admissions for a private candidate

Reaction score
I just finished my O level exams from school and now I'm trying to decide whether I should finish the A levels from school or from private.The school has been a giant pain in the ass during this time and I'm quite sure that my exams would have been much better if I had ditched school and went to private earlier.If I decide to give the A level exams from private,will it negatively impact my university admission chances in the future?Which do you guys think is better: private or school?

Reaction score
I just finished my O level exams from school and now I'm trying to decide whether I should finish the A levels from school or from private.The school has been a giant pain in the ass during this time and I'm quite sure that my exams would have been much better if I had ditched school and went to private earlier.If I decide to give the A level exams from private,will it negatively impact my university admission chances in the future?Which do you guys think is better: private or school?

It wouldn't negatively influence your chances of admissions as it's the grades that matter in the end, but I would recommend sticking with you school;

-School counsellors can counsel you about your potential field of study/universities/help with admission documents, etc.
-They can arrange transcripts with all your previous grades as some universities require the final 3 or 4 years of school
-It's easier to ask teachers to write you your letters of recommendation while you're still at school rather than having to keep visiting
-Local/international universities may visit and setup workshops/presentations explaining about what you can study there, and you can ask the representative questions directly
-School could arrange with local companies for students to do community service jobs and/or part-time jobs which are required by most universities (e.g. my school picked a handful to work part-time at the oil company Shell and go to workshops at local universities and summer courses)
-Easier to ask teachers with experience questions if you get stuck with something because the Internet won't give you answers to absolutely every problem you need solved
-Schools could offer SAT/ACT exam courses/exams for a MUCH lower price than at dedicated centers, so you could try these tests (only if your uni needs it of course) for a lower price than if you'd do it externally
-I also believe it's cheaper to do A-Level exams at schools rather than at places like british counsel, but I'm not sure on that one

Those are all the points that I can think of right now haha, I also do have points supporting the other side of the argument but I'm too lazy to type them all out D: