• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Vernier and Micrometer?

Reaction score
A question ! Does anyone have any notes on vernier scale and/or micrometer screw gauge? If so, please kindly post it here because I can't find any books explain it in a well way =/. Thanks in advance and wish you all the best for tomorrow's exam and the following ones :D!

Reaction score
I got notes for micrometer screw gauge:

Micrometer screwgauge is used to measure small measurments like thickness of a wire, thickness of a paper etc,
The head scale range is from 0 to 99 . 1 full rotation of head scale is equal to 1mm on the linear scale.

That is what you need to know.
Good luck

Reaction score
micrometer : can measure the thickness of any small thing to 0.01 mm
vernier : can measure the inner and outer wall of anything to 1.05mm

Reaction score
Um. My micrometer's range is 0.00mm - 2.50mm. I don't think they make micrometers to 99.00mm, unless you mean a range of 75.00mm-100.00mm. Anyway:

Vernier Calipers
Range: 0.00cm-about 10.00cm (on mine, anyway)
Sensitivity: 0.01cm
Use: usually for external diameters of objects with round cross-section (cylinders, spheres, etc), internal diameters, depth.

Micrometer
Range: 0.00mm-10.00mm (small lab one) -25.00mm (normal lab one) -50.00mm (for a really big one, not usu. a lab one.)
Sensitivity: 0.01mm
Use: usually for internal/external diameters of small objects. Able to measure diameter of pollen / dust particles.

Measuring
Open instrument and clean jaws / spindle & anvil with a soft, dry cloth.
Close/open the jaws or turn the micrometer ratchet SLOWLY until it is just tight enough to grip the object (the object must be remove-able with only a very small force). With the micrometer ratchet, you will hear a small click when it is tight enough. Over-tightening will cause distortion of object and/or micrometer, introducing zero error the next time you use it.

Storing
Ensure instrument is dry, lubricated and otherwise protected from rusting, etc.
Separate jaws/spindle & anvil a little.
Slip instrument into sleeve if storage case is not padded.
Place in case and close.
Store in cool, dry, level position.

While in use
The instrument is a SENSITIVE TOOL, NOT a toy.
ALWAYS place instrument away from the edge of a table, etc -- and where it will not be jostled by accident.
Place the instrument down gently after measurement.