• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

What are Grade Thresholds?

Reaction score
What is this all about. I don't have any idea about it. A clear description would be appreciated

Reaction score
I still can't find any satisfactory explanation of Grade Thresholds in that topic

Reaction score
Grade thresholds are the minimum number of marks you need to obtain in each paper to obtain a certain grade.

Reaction score
Is it the same as the percentile system? Can we get an A( or A* now) for e.g in Pak Studies without scoring more than 68 out of 75 marks? ( 68 divided by 75 * 100 = 90.6)

The way I understand it now is that CIE set the Grade thresholds for each subject after the exams. Like in Pakistan Studies they set the minimum mark for an A* to 65. So if I get 66 marks, I can get an A*? Regardless of that 66 marks actually account for 88% of 75? (66 divided by 75 * 100 = 88)

PlanetMaster

XPRS Administrator
Reaction score
CIE always sets grade thresholds after exams.
Grade thresholds depends upon the difficulty of the paper and how students perform in it.
If the minimum mark for A* is 65, you'll get an A for scoring 65 or above. :)

Reaction score
Thank you very much :)

Do u know any Grade thresholds for the previous year from any of these 3 Subjects? Pak Studies, Islamiat or Urdu?

PlanetMaster

XPRS Administrator
Reaction score
CIE never published 'Grade thresholds' for these subjects. :(

Reaction score
I just found Grade Thresholds for Pakistan Studies in the Summer 2004 Mark Scheme (2059_s04_ms)

PAPER 1
MAX MARK = 75

Min Marks required for
Grade A: 52
Grade C: 36
Grade E: 18

PAPER 2
Max Mark=75

Min Mark required for
Grade A: 54
Grade C: 35
Grade E: 22
--------------------------------

I just wonder now, it would be very easy to get Grade A then? (not that I am being overconfident) Are the grade thresholds near to each other every year or they vary signinficantly year to year?

Reaction score
Using the standard deviation and mean of the past year; No, they do not vary a lot. Btw don't worry about where the A grade stands. As long as you're demonstrating all the assessment objectives on the paper you're sure to get an A.

Reaction score
shahoo said:
ok...but i heard that percentile system has been closed from now onwards

that not correct .!
percentile system is NEVER gonna end.!