• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

What are the best resources for IELTS Academic?

Reaction score
Hey Guys

I am an ecoomic development professional, I have worked in the field of climate change and energy for 6 years. I have a masters degree in environmental economics. Now I want to pursue PHD in the same field. I have been told that I should take IELTS to get admission in good universities. As you know, IELTS is a test of English proficiency for non-native English speakers. For PHD I have to take IELTS Academic. The academic is different from the general training. I have taken IELTS General Training before, but not academic. My score was 7.5 in listening, 8 in reading, 7 in speaking and 6.5 in writing.

I want to take IELTS Academic this time and my goal is to get at least 8 in each module. For my first attempt, I want to take the test in two or three months. Iam here to ask for your help and guidance.

What are the best resources for IELTS Academic?

What are the common mistakes students make in IELTS Academic?

How much time do you think I should spend on each section?

How often should I take practice tests?

What gap filling and sentence completion tips do you have for IELTS Academic?

What are your top tips for the IELTS Writing Task 1 Academic?

What are your top tips for the IELTS Writing Task 2 Academic?

What are your top tips for the IELTS Speaking Test?

Where can I get coupons or deals for buying books for IELTS Academic?

Looking forward to your guidance.

Reaction score
Hey Guys

I searched and found some helpful answers.

1) Ielts Academic Test Preparation is a great resource to get started. It provides comprehensive guidance, information, and practice tests for all four modules of the IELTS Academic test. The website also offers sample questions, tips on answering them, and strategies for improving your score. You can also find links to other websites that offer helpful tips and advice on preparing for and succeeding in the IELTS Academic test.

2) One of the most common mistakes that students make when taking the IELTS Academic test is not preparing adequately. Many students do not take enough time to familiarize themselves with the structure of the exam and its format. They often don't understand how to answer certain questions or miss key points in the reading material. Additionally, some students are so focused on practicing tests that they may overlook the importance of focusing on their accuracy and fluency when answering questions.

3) Ideally, you should spend approximately 20 minutes on each section. This is particularly important for the Reading, Listening, and Writing sections, as these require more time and focus on completing accurately. However, it's also important to manage your time wisely so that you don't rush through any sections or run out of time. Make sure to pace yourself and give each section the attention it deserves.

4) It's recommended to take practice tests once or twice a week. Doing so will help you become familiar with the exam format and build your confidence and endurance for the real test day. Additionally, taking practice tests can give you an idea of what areas you need to work on and help you develop strategies for tackling them. Finally, review any questions you got wrong on the practice tests and understand why you missed them. This will help you avoid making the same mistakes on test day.

5) Gap filling and sentence completion questions on IELTS Academic can be challenging, so it's important to have a good strategy. First, read the entire sentence before attempting to answer the question. This will give you context and make it easier to understand what the question is asking for. Next, use the process of elimination to narrow down your options – look for words or phrases that don’t fit the context and eliminate them.

6) For IELTS Writing Task 1 Academic, it’s important to read the instructions carefully and understand what is being asked of you. Next, plan your response before you start writing – ensure that you include all the necessary components and logically structure your essay. Finally, use formal language with clear arguments and examples to support your ideas. Ensure to include relevant evidence and facts, as well as a conclusion that summarizes the main points.

7) The most important tip for IELTS Writing Task 2 Academic is to understand the prompt and plan your response before writing. Before you start, list ideas related to the topic and organize them into paragraphs. Make sure to include an introduction with a clear thesis statement at its core, as well as body paragraphs that provide examples and support your argument. Furthermore, use formal language with clear arguments and examples to support your ideas. Be sure to include relevant evidence, facts, and a conclusion that summarizes the main points.

8) One of the most important things to remember is to speak clearly and confidently. Make sure you are speaking naturally, enunciating your words, and avoiding filler words like “um” or “uh”. Also, practice answering questions out loud before the test day so you can be prepared for any unexpected questions.

9) While searching Google, I found some best coupon sites for buying books for IELTS Academic at discount prices.

Last edited: