• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

What can I choose for AS/A Levels

Reaction score
So, I have a query that has been bothering me for a bit too long.

So I have my IGCSEs next year (2015), after that I want to go for AS/A Levels. But I don't know what subjects I should take.

I want to do engineering (Software or maybe Mechanical) and then MBA later on.
So according to this what subjects should I take in AS/A Levels.

Reaction score

So I have my IGCSEs next year (2015), after that I want to go for AS/A Levels. But I don't know what subjects I should take.

Physics, Maths, computing. If you want to do 4 subjects, then take Chemistry as well to open other fields for engineering, but if you're going to stick with Mechanical and Software then take Business studies instead of Chemistry.

Reaction score
Your main subjects should be Physics, Math, and Chemistry because every good university requires at least 3 subjects and the ones I've listed will suffice for most engineering fields. I say most because courses like Biomedical Engineering would require Biology as well. You could take Computing as a fourth subject and it could be useful for university, but it isn't considered to be a traditional academic subject. If you're aiming for a North American university don't worry. You can take as many classes as you like during your first two years and then declare your major in the third year and Computing isn't really necessary.

No offence to LioxMessi, but don't you dare take Business Studies. Business Studies is simply pointless and isn't even considered a proper subject by most universities. Also, dropping an essential subject like Chemistry would be your undoing. Take Economics instead if your school offers it. Besides, Economics is incredibly useful in almost every engineering field and can be helpful for your MBA as well. I say this because I've taken both Business Studies and Economics for my IGCSEs and while I did study for my Economics exam, I didn't do jack shit for my Business exam. I'm predicted A*s for both so this isn't coming from an indolent student.

Summing it up, you should take Math, Physics and Chemistry for sure. You might as well take Computing as a fourth subject. (If your school offers Applied ICT instead of Computing don't bother yourself with an extra subject because Applied subjects aren't considered to give adequate preparation for university.) If Computing isn't offered, take Economics as a fourth subject. Or if all of these are offered, you could take a gamble if you think you can handle it and take 5 subjects: Physics, Chemistry, Math, Computing, Economics.

Either way, don't worry right now. Concentrate on your IGCSEs. And when you do apply to uni for engineering they'll probably accept you (based on your predicted grades) and give you a conditional offer. Trust me when I say this, the grades you need to achieve will be for 3 subjects only - Physics, Chemistry and Math.

Reaction score
Your main subjects should be Physics, Math, and Chemistry because every good university requires at least 3 subjects and the ones I've listed will suffice for most engineering fields. I say most because courses like Biomedical Engineering would require Biology as well. You could take Computing as a fourth subject and it could be useful for university, but it isn't considered to be a traditional academic subject. If you're aiming for a North American university don't worry. You can take as many classes as you like during your first two years and then declare your major in the third year and Computing isn't really necessary.

No offence to LioxMessi, but don't you dare take Business Studies. Business Studies is simply pointless and isn't even considered a proper subject by most universities. Also, dropping an essential subject like Chemistry would be your undoing. Take Economics instead if your school offers it. Besides, Economics is incredibly useful in almost every engineering field and can be helpful for your MBA as well. I say this because I've taken both Business Studies and Economics for my IGCSEs and while I did study for my Economics exam, I didn't do jack shit for my Business exam. I'm predicted A*s for both so this isn't coming from an indolent student.

Summing it up, you should take Math, Physics and Chemistry for sure. You might as well take Computing as a fourth subject. (If your school offers Applied ICT instead of Computing don't bother yourself with an extra subject because Applied subjects aren't considered to give adequate preparation for university.) If Computing isn't offered, take Economics as a fourth subject. Or if all of these are offered, you could take a gamble if you think you can handle it and take 5 subjects: Physics, Chemistry, Math, Computing, Economics.

Either way, don't worry right now. Concentrate on your IGCSEs. And when you do apply to uni for engineering they'll probably accept you (based on your predicted grades) and give you a conditional offer. Trust me when I say this, the grades you need to achieve will be for 3 subjects only - Physics, Chemistry and Math.
No worries, you never knew why i recommended Business studies so I would let it go. Now let me explain a little bit of what haven't thought about or what you don't know. Only 3 subjects would be given credit so it doesn't matter if he takes Economics or Business studies, not one bit, though i still would like to prefer Economics over Business, but that does not mean business studies would be given an unequal credit. Economics is not an easy A Level and would effect other A Levels as well, while on the other hand business studies can be done in a few months along with past paper practice. Chemistry is not required for Mechanical and Software engineering, in case if he takes chemistry, it would be very hard to manage Economics with these 4 subjects while business studies would be much easier to manage and would provide him a well background for MBA. For this case, I would never recommend Economics. And one more thing, it's not like he MIGHT take computing, he MUST, or else he'll have to struggle at university, because most of the universities recommend computing along with Maths which is compulsory. My suggestions:
(1) Physics, Chemsitry, Maths, Computing.
OR
(2) Physics, Maths, Computing, Business studies.
I would recommend the first one though since it'll open many other fields, and because one should not necessarily have a background for business studies for MBA.

Reaction score
No worries, you never knew why i recommended Business studies so I would let it go. Now let me explain a little bit of what haven't thought about or what you don't know. Only 3 subjects would be given credit so it doesn't matter if he takes Economics or Business studies, not one bit, though i still would like to prefer Economics over Business, but that does not mean business studies would be given an unequal credit. Economics is not an easy A Level and would effect other A Levels as well, while on the other hand business studies can be done in a few months along with past paper practice. Chemistry is not required for Mechanical and Software engineering, in case if he takes chemistry, it would be very hard to manage Economics with these 4 subjects while business studies would be much easier to manage and would provide him a well background for MBA. For this case, I would never recommend Economics. And one more thing, it's not like he MIGHT take computing, he MUST, or else he'll have to struggle at university, because most of the universities recommend computing along with Maths which is compulsory. My suggestions:
(1) Physics, Chemsitry, Maths, Computing.
OR
(2) Physics, Maths, Computing, Business studies.
I would recommend the first one though since it'll open many other fields, and because one should not necessarily have a background for business studies for MBA.

1) I agree that most of the chemistry subject matter would be fairly extraneous for Mechanical Engineering and more so for Software/Computer Engineering, but it is still a prerequisite. I'll quote you one example and this is from the Faculty of Applied Science and Engineering of University of Toronto.

"Candidates completing the GCE/British pattern system must present three Advanced Level subjects including:

• Advanced Level Mathematics
  • Advanced Level Physics
  • Advanced Level Chemistry is strongly recommended, and applicants must present at least AS Level Chemistry in order to be considered for admission. Please note that if A Level Chemistry is not taken then another A level must be presented."

2) "...but that does not mean business studies would be given an unequal credit."
Sorry, but yes it will. Economics is known to be much more rigorous than Business Studies as you admitted and that's why universities will prefer an A Level in Economics over Business Studies.

3) "...would provide him a well background for MBA."
To get into a good business school you'll need to sit the GMAT. The GMAT however assumes no knowledge of actual business studies concepts or theories. Furthermore, the GMAT tests analytical and writing skills both of which can be developed and acquired through an Economics A Level.

3) "...it's not like he MIGHT take computing, he MUST..."
I stand by what I said. It seems like you have no idea what you're on about. Above, I quoted U of T and Computer Science isn't necessary. Now I'll quote University of Cambridge. On it's website, for a degree in CS "No prior knowledge of programming required". Computer Science is regarded as useful for at least some of the constituent colleges and not essential.

I missed this point in my earlier reply, but Further Mathematics is likely to give you an advantage. So my final list of subjects you could opt for are Math, Further Math, Physics, and Chemistry. If your school doesn't offer Further Math, go ahead and take Computing instead (if not Economics). Just make sure you carefully choose your fourth subject. Your school is likely to have an orientation day/week when you start with AS Levels and your teachers could also discuss with you the merits of different subjects based on your desired field of study in the future. Good luck.

Reaction score
1) I agree that most of the chemistry subject matter would be fairly extraneous for Mechanical Engineering and more so for Software/Computer Engineering, but it is still a prerequisite. I'll quote you one example and this is from the Faculty of Applied Science and Engineering of University of Toronto.

"Candidates completing the GCE/British pattern system must present three Advanced Level subjects including:

• Advanced Level Mathematics
  • Advanced Level Physics
  • Advanced Level Chemistry is strongly recommended, and applicants must present at least AS Level Chemistry in order to be considered for admission. Please note that if A Level Chemistry is not taken then another A level must be presented."

2) "...but that does not mean business studies would be given an unequal credit."
Sorry, but yes it will. Economics is known to be much more rigorous than Business Studies as you admitted and that's why universities will prefer an A Level in Economics over Business Studies.

3) "...would provide him a well background for MBA."
To get into a good business school you'll need to sit the GMAT. The GMAT however assumes no knowledge of actual business studies concepts or theories. Furthermore, the GMAT tests analytical and writing skills both of which can be developed and acquired through an Economics A Level.

3) "...it's not like he MIGHT take computing, he MUST..."
I stand by what I said. It seems like you have no idea what you're on about. Above, I quoted U of T and Computer Science isn't necessary. Now I'll quote University of Cambridge. On it's website, for a degree in CS "No prior knowledge of programming required". Computer Science is regarded as useful for at least some of the constituent colleges and not essential.

I missed this point in my earlier reply, but Further Mathematics is likely to give you an advantage. So my final list of subjects you could opt for are Math, Further Math, Physics, and Chemistry. If your school doesn't offer Further Math, go ahead and take Computing instead (if not Economics). Just make sure you carefully choose your fourth subject. Your school is likely to have an orientation day/week when you start with AS Levels and your teachers could also discuss with you the merits of different subjects based on your desired field of study in the future. Good luck.
You know, it's not a competition to test argumentative skills, you'll have to be more realistic than you actually are right now.

(1) It's software and mechanical engineering we were talking about, not applied sciences. University of Toronto has separate courses for Software and Mechanical Engineering for which Chemistry isn't compulsory, but I did recommend it above, did I? + Do not compare US with UK, US even require Maths for Medicine.

(2) Like I told you, I could have recommended Economics but the reason is clear, it'll effect other A Levels + Universities do not have credit points for extras so studying Business studies and Economics is one and the same thing. Although US does give credit to some extras, but they'll give none to either of the two for engineering.

(3) Like I mentioned a thousand times, Economics is not an easy A Level, neither will it provide a background for MBA like business studies will. One should not ruin his A Levels just to learn analytical skills for GMAT. I never said you were wrong about Economics.

(4) Like I've mentioned above, we are not here to argue, so be realistic, i know what I'm on about. University of Cambridge doesn't even require Biology for Medicine, and students at the university tend to struggle for Biological courses since they do not have prior knowledge. I hope you know how important Biology is for medicine. Without computing, you'll have to struggle for computer science at any university in the world. Don't just look at requirements, universities only require 1-2 subjects related to the course you'll have to study, but then like I said, you'll have to face the consequences at the university.

Reaction score
Yes, but that is the faculty under which mechanical and computer engineering is offered. I agree that realistically you'd be at an advantage during university if you took Computing. I just meant that if your school doesn't offer it you wouldn't be at a disadvantage in the admission process. I probably wasn't very specific in my previous answer so forgive me. CS is said to be useful. No one in their right mind would apply to a Medicine course without having taken Biology. But a lot of computer science is based on mathematical concepts and so you'd be OKAY if not very well prepared without taking computing. Just on a side note, many Electrical Engineering majors go onto write software or even graduate courses in Computer Engineering. They find that their Math and Physics skills are very easily transferable to computer science based courses even though they didn't formally have Computing as a subject.