• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

what does A* stands for

Reaction score
A* Will be set as much above the A grade as much as the score required for grade B is below that required for grade A. A* will be mapped onto a percentage uniform mark of 90% (though this will never be shown on any certificate) and likewise grade A will be mapped onto a percentage uniform mark of 80% (same). Will require a little bit extra effort but will differentiate you even further from the future '"A-grade only students". Just consider as "A grade has been devalued a bit just as the currency of one country depreciates against the other'".

Reaction score
A* is a 90% and above grade
a is an 80%-89% grade
its just tht A* has taken A's place and A has taken B's......similar fr the rest of them!!!

Reaction score
arif1310 said:
A* is a 90% and above grade
a is an 80%-89% grade
its just tht A* has taken A's place and A has taken B's......similar fr the rest of them!!!

Some how I don't think that you are correct. I feel A* is just a grade given to show a distinction between people used to get a better A then those who get a lower one.

Reaction score
hey y r u ppl so anxious about these grades??
just put in ur hard work and thn see ur result ... u wont regret it.. blv me

Reaction score
@EmiRony: Not easier. Same difficulty, and similar number of marks but they will be given a value of 80% .

Reaction score
Zohaib Sherazi said:
@EmiRony: Not easier. Same difficulty, and similar number of marks but they will be given a value of 80% .

Hmm ok Let me explain why i am now very confused.

Since A has been given the value of 80% as compared to its previous 90%, we will only need a minimum of 80% as compared to previously 90% to get an A. Since both the Letters are same it makes sense to say that scoring an A is 10% easier now then it was before. right? . I have a feeling you are considering the 'new A' as B and saying that getting a 'new A' has the same difficulty as getting an old B. But I feel for the sake of comparison since A remains A and those who got 80% before oct/nov 09 still have B rather then A. for us if we get the same score as them we will get an A rather then a B. Which means that It is easier to get an A now. But it is just a difficult to get it as it was to get a B. and it is just as hard to get an A* as it was to get an A. Am I right?

Reaction score
Micky said:
Zohaib Sherazi said:

Hmm ok Let me explain why i am now very confused.

Since A has been given the value of 80% as compared to its previous 90%, we will only need a minimum of 80% as compared to previously 90% to get an A. Since both the Letters are same it makes sense to say that scoring an A is 10% easier now then it was before. right? . I have a feeling you are considering the 'new A' as B and saying that getting a 'new A' has the same difficulty as getting an old B. But I feel for the sake of comparison since A remains A and those who got 80% before oct/nov 09 still have B rather then A. for us if we get the same score as them we will get an A rather then a B. Which means that It is easier to get an A now. But it is just a difficult to get it as it was to get a B. and it is just as hard to get an A* as it was to get an A. Am I right?

Yup. Minimum marks needed for grade A = 80 %
The minimum marks are lowered, thus making it easier to score an 'A' grade.

Reaction score
Agreed with Micky ..
80-89 marks = A grade
90 above marks = A*

recently A was 90+
now A is 80+
this is how it has changed..
recently b was 80+
now b is 70+

Reaction score
Say the total required out of 100 marks on a paper last june was 78/100 for an A and B was 70/100, A was given a value of 90% and B 80%. If someone got 78 CIE mapped it onto a percentage of 90% . Is this the same 90% as you see in ordinary maths ? If it wud be then it shud have been 90/100 marks. The point you are not getting is that mapping on a uniform scale is a different thing. Its a complex statistical procedure.

And if this year 78/100 is again set as A for that particular subject then it will be mapped on a percentage of 80% . What did you notice? Were the number of marks required to score an A 10% less or any other vague statement ? No, they were not. Exactly, the same number of marks were required. But the value given to them by CIE was 80%. And B i.e 70/100 will be likewise mapped onto a percentage unifrom mark of 70%.

It has not become easy or difficult. CIE has just noticed that the number of students who are getting grades on very high marks are increasing so they deserve an even higher grade to discriminate them further. So, they kept the "STANDARDS" the same while introducing an even higher grade.

Thats it.

Reaction score
Zohaib Sherazi said:
Say the total required out of 100 marks on a paper last june was 78/100 for an A and B was 70/100, A was given a value of 90% and B 80%. If someone got 78 CIE mapped it onto a percentage of 90% . Is this the same 90% as you see in ordinary maths ? If it wud be then it shud have been 90/100 marks. The point you are not getting is that mapping on a uniform scale is a different thing. Its a complex statistical procedure.

And if this year 78/100 is again set as A for that particular subject then it will be mapped on a percentage of 80% . What did you notice? Were the number of marks required to score an A 10% less or any other vague statement ? No, they were not. Exactly, the same number of marks were required. But the value given to them by CIE was 80%. And B i.e 70/100 will be likewise mapped onto a percentage unifrom mark of 70%.

It has not become easy or difficult. CIE has just noticed that the number of students who are getting grades on very high marks are increasing so they deserve an even higher grade to discriminate them further. So, they kept the "STANDARDS" the same while introducing an even higher grade.

Thats it.

You explained it better then the Cie People and anyone I know. This was a much required reply as people have already started thinking that its now easier to get an A, you should re-post this some place else, maybe in a separate topic, surely that would help a lot of people. I would like this to be more prominent...Thank you for clearing things up man !