• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

What is the threshold mark to get an A* and 1 in each paper ???

Reaction score
I know that for pupils doing main the best they can get is an A* and a one in every paper.
And for sub subjects, the best is an 'a' and a 7 in every paper.
What i don't get is , when do we obtain a 1 ? I mean , what are the threshold marks?

Reaction score
Yes there are. I saw the certificate of my cousin who took part in alevel exams.
Just besides the A there is a 1
And for sub subjects it the best is an a and a 7 .
I just don't understand what these numbers mean.

Reaction score
CIE Standards have gone down!!! they really need to improve the threshold and the exam papers so that outstanding students will be distinguished from the average ones! please have a broad vision!

GOOD LUCK TO Y'ALL!!

Reaction score
CIE Standards have gone down!!! they really need to improve the threshold and the exam papers so that outstanding students will be distinguished from the average ones! please have a broad vision!

GOOD LUCK TO Y'ALL!!

But i don't think it has gone down lol.

Reaction score
If you get an A*, it means you are among the top 10% of the people who took A levels. A is top 20%, B is 30% and so on. A threshold is just the number you have to cross to get the particular grade. So if an A* threshold is 80, then you will get an A* if you get 80 or more. As for the 1's and 7's, I have no idea what you saw when you saw it.

Reaction score

GOOD LUCK TO Y'ALL!!
Its all computerized and analysed by the chief examiners so a certain percentage of the top students at the top get A's or B's. So if the number of students taking A levels has increased, then the number of students getting A's would also increase, hence creating the illusion that the thresholds have gone down or Cambridge is starting to suck! But CIE IS running out of questions to give in MCQs, and are repeating questions now from before 2006 or so. And what is this I hear about MCQs in GP? Surely CIE is not that stupid, LOL. That sounds like a stupid stupid stupid idea. But I don't give a crap, mine's over.

Reaction score
Hi, the thing is that i hv screwed up badly in AS Level with following
Physics : C
Chemistry : D
Mathematics : D
Computing : C

I'm retaking Chemistry and Mathematics in oct/nov 2012. I want to start my uni right after my A2. For that i need to submit my application before 12-Jan-2013, and the results for my retakes of Oct/nov 2012 wont be out before 22-Jan-2013. Please help because I don't know if they will wait for my A2 results which will come in august-2013, and their classes start in sept-2013.
I don't know what to do. please help. I m really worried here. :( Also can you help that what kind of courses i should be equipped with to give the entry tests efficiently? and will a good score in SAT 2 help in my application for university admission in pakistan?

Reaction score
Does this mean I should give my physics exam paper for rechecking ? i m pretty sure that my exam was better than many. but still those very students got a higher grade than me... :(

Reaction score
I know that for pupils doing main the best they can get is an A* and a one in every paper.
And for sub subjects, the best is an 'a' and a 7 in every paper.
What i don't get is , when do we obtain a 1 ? I mean , what are the threshold marks?

It is paper-wise. AND YES, IT IS FOR CAMBRIDGE, for example in physics p4 to obtain an A which is equivalent to one or two, u should get a minimum of (let's say) 68 out of 100, but to get straight one's which is equivalent to A* , i think the threshold mark is (let's say) above 77

A one is the best possible grade and if u get 13 in a paper, it means u've failed in that paper, but for sub, the best possible grade is 7 and the worst possible grade 13. ( this is because ur sub is marked on a total of 100 not a total of 200 as in the case for main)
hope this was useful.

Reaction score
It is paper-wise. AND YES, IT IS FOR CAMBRIDGE, for example in physics p4 to obtain an A which is equivalent to one or two, u should get a minimum of (let's say) 68 out of 100, but to get straight one's which is equivalent to A* , i think the threshold mark is (let's say) above 77

A one is the best possible grade and if u get 13 in a paper, it means u've failed in that paper, but for sub, the best possible grade is 7 and the worst possible grade 13. ( this is because ur sub is marked on a total of 100 not a total of 200 as in the case for main)
hope this was useful.
How much marks over 260 do we need to get an A or B?

Reaction score

hope this was useful.
Ah omoin 1 kiken ine cnpren ki mwe ask . Yh it helpd. Thanks !

Reaction score
yah 4 each paper u do u obtain either a 1 best or i think 8 or 9 worse......then overall u get an A+ or A or B....till E i guess.....
If u get A in a paper, that is approximately 68/100 for p4 (well that depends on the grade threshold), then u get a 1 or 2? kifr pu moris li bizin compliK kumha!! :confused: There's no A* for papers, isn't it?

Reaction score
This is only for Mauritius. Some countries give detailed percentages for all papers. We don't do that because our govt thinks it could be catastrophic for the laureateship system. So, the results are somewhat surreptitiously given for individual papers. But you don't gotta worry about that. You cannot reliably guess the threshold mark for a distinction 1. Besides, grades all really depend on your overall marks. You might get a 1 in a P2 and P3, and a 4/5 in the rest, and still get an A.

If u get A in a paper, that is approximately 68/100 for p4 (well that depends on the grade threshold), then u get a 1 or 2? kifr pu moris li bizin compliK kumha!! :confused: There's no A* for papers, isn't it?

No doh. :p

Reaction score
This is only for Mauritius. Some countries give detailed percentages for all papers. We don't do that because our govt thinks it could be catastrophic for the laureateship system. So, the results are somewhat surreptitiously given for individual papers. But you don't gotta worry about that. You cannot reliably guess the threshold mark for a distinction 1. Besides, grades all really depend on your overall marks. You might get a 1 in a P2 and P3, and a 4/5 in the rest, and still get an A.

No doh. :p
Then we only need the number of marks in the grade thresholds to get an A or B? Like 160 for A when we add all the grade thresholds to get A in all the papers? At school to get an A we need at least 80% of 270, which means 216 marks over 270! o_O R u guys sure it's not the same for Cambridge?

Reaction score
Then we only need the number of marks in the grade thresholds to get an A or B? Like 160 for A when we add all the grade thresholds to get A in all the papers? At school to get an A we need at least 80% of 270, which means 216 marks over 270! o_O R u guys sure it's not the same for Cambridge?
Yeah this is crazy ! :/ which is y our form 5 results always turn out to be better than the mock and other terms. Tant mieux pour nous !

Reaction score

Yes. CIE is different from school. Cambridge sets its own thresholds.