• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

What subjects for International Scholarships ?

Reaction score
Hamid answer this:
There are two student with exact same ability and achievement level. The ONLY difference between them is that one of them has a good IELTS score while other didnt take the test. Who will the uni prefer?
Why do you guys have to stick to requirements? Try to be 10 steps ahead of requirement. So what if university doesnt require IELST. It is not going to create a bad impression, rather create a good impression, if you take it.
For eg if a uni has 2100 SAT requirement how much will you aim to achieve? Exact 2100. NO! You try to get as much as possible. Especially more than 2100. So dont keep yourself restricted to the requirement. Try to do more. Thats what uni appreciates. They will get dozens of student who meet the requirement but in the end of the day they will chose those who have something "extra". "extra" doesn't nessecarily means IELTS, it can be extra carricuar, subjects, awesome interview, etc.
By the way, we are having a discussion here so its better we dont get personal.

My answer: The one with the better personality. USA universities don't judge on how many tests you have given or what score you have. If you have a score above the general requirement, they won't even look at your other achievements. They'll judge you on your essays. On your determination. And your suitability to their university. Why give a $100 test when the judges are not even going to glance. And I'm just opposing IELTS. Obviously, you'll have to be distinct to be among the 8% or so admitted students.
Haha! I'm not getting personal at all. It's just that we have different ideas. But I don't know a single person who gave IELTS to get into a US university.

Reaction score
That is for US citizen mostly. Thats the whole problem. Most of their loans and scholarships are reserved for US citizens. Browse through their loan and scholarship packages for further detail.
let me make one point clear. IELTS/Toefl are english assessment tests. The problem with O level english (O level english has little value. Never rely on it) and SAT is that they dont fully assess your english. If you look at SAT theres no speaking and listening test in it. It is more or less checking your grammar and examination giving ability.

Receiving british education doesnt mean you are good in english.
IELTS is not only for immigration it is also for academic. As a matter of fact there are 2 types of IELTS general training and academics. General training is for jobs and immigration.
Keep in mind one thing more subjects you take, more assessment test you have, the better your chances in getting into international uni.
Scholarship is not just based on your SAT. It is your overall performance.

i never meant that doing o levels means being good in eng...i meant that there is no need of wasting time on something which is already at advantage by qualifying CIE....i am doing CIE with 16 subs in O Levels and 9 in A......and those who even do 8...everything is fine with them.

SAT is an aptitude test and the word "aptitude" clearifies what it's meaning is....Scholarship is based on ur performance...all of it...which is an "obvious point at every examination, of every level"
all i meant was SAT gives an inflated image to ur performance...enhancing it and giving us a great advantage.....and trust me...it is possible with a high score only
IELTS i repeat is only for immigration, for those lacking in English and those trying for jobs abroad in the Britain ...CIE qualification gives students advantage this way...."avoiding IELTS and TOEFL."

Reaction score
This is turning out to be a very helpful discussion and I hope we don't degrade it into a fight. Basically, what everyone is saying is that you need to have an awesome personality, talent e.t.c along with good grades but tell me this, how does the university judge your personality ?

Reaction score
This is turning out to be a very helpful discussion and I hope we don't degrade it into a fight. Basically, what everyone is saying is that you need to have an awesome personality, talent e.t.c along with good grades but tell me this, how does the university judge your personality ?
They ask you to write essays on different topics. Some universities may take your interviews which may be an online one or through an alumni in your country. There are alot of other ways that you'll come accross once you begin with the admission process.

Reaction score
I'm interested in this to.
From what I've read that it does matter because they look at your whole academic history and high school life.
true.... wherever u go from o levels onwards....ur grades matter a lot
till 7th or 8th grade...we all relax about but when o levels start....all turns to what professions u r gonna pursue and which uni's u gonna join
:) ...and we have to rub our noses over the desk tops to score A*s for a wonderful academic presentation ..but along with all this productive extra curricular matters a lot .....:)

Reaction score
true.... wherever u go from o levels onwards....ur grades matter a lot
till 7th or 8th grade...we all relax about but when o levels start....all turns to what professions u r gonna pursue and which uni's u gonna join
:) ...and we have to rub our noses over the desk tops to score A*s for a wonderful academic presentation ..but along with all this productive extra curricular matters a lot .....:)
LOL yeah xD

Reaction score
i've some information on this as my sister is studying in the US and went there last year only for her undergrads
your grades of 9th, 10th and 11th are very important and ur 12th result don't matter a lot as they think students also have to study for SAT (this is for Indian boards..but i think this will apply to CIE baords too)
i don't think toefl is not necessary for IGCSE students
also if you want to get into an Ivy League university, your ESSAY is very very important.