• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

What's A level? and difference between A and AS Levels??

Is A level easy or As Level?

• Total voters
Reaction score
W.A.S
Well, AS (A Levels subsidiary) is basically the first year of A Levels. And for getting admission in a university for bachelors you have to give complete A Levels with atleast 3 subjects. And of-course AS is a bit easier than A2! And if your are planning to go for BS-CS so you have to give maths, physics and chemistry or you can also give CS instead of chemistry. A Friend of mine got admission in GIK for BS-CS for 2018 batch. He gave chemistry , physics and maths in Edexcel A Levels. Hope that helps!

Reaction score
W.A.S
Well, AS (A Levels subsidiary) is basically the first year of A Levels. And for getting admission in a university for bachelors you have to give complete A Levels with atleast 3 subjects. And of-course AS is a bit easier than A2! And if your are planning to go for BS-CS so you have to give maths, physics and chemistry or you can also give CS instead of chemistry. A Friend of mine got admission in GIK for BS-CS for 2018 batch. He gave chemistry , physics and maths in Edexcel A Levels. Hope that helps!
:confused: ???? Didn't got you?!! :confused::confused:

Reaction score
Assalam o Alaikum! How are you all?
I'd be really appreciated if anyone could answer this and My aim is to be a computer engineer, so wht minimum subjects should I be taking including ICT?

My Name Mr.Physics shoaib672002 muhammadali233
Mimick
To compare this with Fsc, Alevels consists of two years like Fsc. 1st year is known as AS level and 2nd year combined is Alevels. So it's the same; AS and A level.
Engineering requires Maths and Physics along with the other most appropriate option Chemistry. ICT is not compulsory.
Hope you get it now.

Reaction score
One question I have which I think fits well here - what is the disadvantage of doing AS Level? Does it make your application look weaker as compared to giving it all in one go?

Reaction score
One question I have which I think fits well here - what is the disadvantage of doing AS Level? Does it make your application look weaker as compared to giving it all in one go?
Considering Pakistani Universities, it doesn't matter. Either you submit your whole Alevels result or you are judged on your Olevels result. There's no AS role.
Uk universities do consider AS grades, but there's no question of impressing them, giving all the papers in one go. If you plan on giving it all in one go, they ask for expected grades from your school.
There's no disadvantage or advantage of AS level considering universities.

Reaction score
:confused: ???? Didn't got you?!! :confused::confused:
In o level if you remember, First year was called O-1 and Second year as O-2 Similarly First year of A-LEVELS is called AS (A-1 you can say) and Second year as simple A2.
The confusion is AS,what is AS? The answer is pretty simple AS mean Advanced Subsidiary levels,what is subsidiary ? Subsidiary simply means supplementary.
As-->First year of A levels.
A2-->Second year of A levels.
you can take minimum of 3 subject(any) to complete.

Reaction score
Considering Pakistani Universities, it doesn't matter. Either you submit your whole Alevels result or you are judged on your Olevels result. There's no AS role.
Uk universities do consider AS grades, but there's no question of impressing them, giving all the papers in one go. If you plan on giving it all in one go, they ask for expected grades from your school.
There's no disadvantage or advantage of AS level considering universities.

Then is our school stupid for not allowing AS? There must be a reason. :3

Reaction score
It becomes hectic for students to study for AS, and then give the exams. When they enter A2, they have to study stuff from AS because A2 requires stuff from AS. Yeah it is true that you have just given the exams, so what are you going to study. But I believe in this summer break, we too have forgotten some things from O Levels. :D
Giving it all in one go requires you to study just once. But your uni admission will be solely dependent on your expected grades. If inflated, then you have an advantage, but if they aren't then you could be in trouble. Consequently, you will have to perform better in school exams.

Reaction score
As far as stupid is concerned, I don't know. But there are MANY schools that do allow AS. It should be optional for students, whether they choose AS or directly go for it in one session.

Reaction score
i am taking ict and computer science both(with phy,chem and maths as well),dropping chemistry will not be a good choice suppose you dont get admission in an IT university so now what?Yes engineering and every pakistani univeristy requires CHEMISTRY for engineering .