• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Writing structural formulae

Reaction score
I wanted to know what the correct way of writing it is, for example for compounds having a functional group on the first carbon atom what is the right way of writing: HOCH2CH3 or CH2(OH)CH3. Is the second one acceptable way of writing because I always see the first one in the ms. Please tell for aldehydes and carboxylic acids also

Reaction score
I wanted to know what the correct way of writing it is, for example for compounds having a functional group on the first carbon atom what is the right way of writing: HOCH2CH3 or CH2(OH)CH3. Is the second one acceptable way of writing because I always see the first one in the ms. Please tell for aldehydes and carboxylic acids also
On the first carbon, it doesn't matter either way ;) The parantheses mean that the group inside is a branch. so for aldehydes you can write R-CHO and for carboxyllic acid you can write it as R-COOH :)