• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

yet another chemistry question ...

Reaction score
Question was :

Metal cooking containers sch as saucepans can be made from copper or steel .

Outline experiments that could be carried out to show which of these metals would be most suitable for a saucepan .
you are provided with pieces of copper and steel foil and common laboratory chemicals and apparatus are available.

as they have provided us with some equipments then i bet every laboratory have wax in it so i wrote about the experiment we learned in physics about dipping the metal in wax except one end that would be held over fire and the time taken to melt the layer of wax to check the conductivity.

but turns out that the question was wrong and they were asking for some reaction between the metal and acids or such stuff ...

just in case a question like that would come and they have not asked you for a specific way of explaining ,how should i know which method to choose ?

Reaction score
You should see what they are saying.

Suitable for a suacepan = It won't change color or scratch out etc.. Steel rusts as you know and copper isn't a strong metal so..

You need to do a rusting test.

So lets start by adding water (main cause of rusting)
then heat because when your cooking heat is done to the saucepan.
Heating must be done for a specified time and observe the result
then repeat for other saucepan and compare results
One which has least change of color/status etc.. is the better one to use.

Reaction score
i hav a question , do they accept only their answer
cant we make our experiment , ??

Reaction score
i don't think examiners have time to check if every one's answer is correct or no ...so i guess they just compare it with the mark scheme they receive ."thats what i think i don't really know "

Reaction score
Lol yeah if you're using a correct method, they'll accept it, its their job to read our answers and correct them, they get payed for it :)

Reaction score
Question was :

Metal cooking containers sch as saucepans can be made from copper or steel .

Outline experiments that could be carried out to show which of these metals would be most suitable for a saucepan .
you are provided with pieces of copper and steel foil and common laboratory chemicals and apparatus are available.

as they have provided us with some equipments then i bet every laboratory have wax in it so i wrote about the experiment we learned in physics about dipping the metal in wax except one end that would be held over fire and the time taken to melt the layer of wax to check the conductivity.

but turns out that the question was wrong and they were asking for some reaction between the metal and acids or such stuff ...

just in case a question like that would come and they have not asked you for a specific way of explaining ,how should i know which method to choose ?
HUH!!