• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

9702_w15_qp_22 Preparations.

Done with preperations?

• Yes

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Almost

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • No

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
Reaction score
ahmedish
About 9702_w10_qp_23 Q2:
Crystalline solid: Solid containing ions in a regular lattice structure. It is a long range structure because the lattice consists of repeating units of ions in a regular arrangement.
Polymer: Long chains of monomers (repeating units). They can have cross-linking structures or tangled bits. Cross-linking polymers tend to be stronger because van der Waals forces are definite there, whereas tangled polymers are just like of spaghetti - completely random.
Amorphous: Has no fixed arrangement of particles.

Hope this helps.

P.S: I'd like it if someone elaborated on the amorphous part.
A solid, that lacks the long-range order characteristic of a crystal.

Reaction score
So crystalline: long range order due to arrangement of *particles* in a lattice, so it's repeated
amorphous: short range order, irregular arrangement
polymers: long chains of repeated monomers/ molecules, with cross-linking between chains.
that all correct? thanks all btw!

Reaction score
Oh, last thing, do all my answers have to be according to the least number of s.f of the values used? I always used 3s.f and didn't give it much thought

Reaction score
polymers: long chains of repeated monomers/ molecules, with cross-linking between chains.
Polymers aren't necessarily supposed to be cross-linking. The can be tangled chains too. Thermoplastics are one such example of polymers which have tangled chains.

Reaction score

Attachments

• a(ii) and b part of energy.jpg
    a(ii) and b part of energy.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Reaction score
I have attached ms too in the same pic.
I have doubt in last two question where I kept question mark.
How KE and how energy can be calculated?

Physicist
paperneeder100
DarkEclipse
ahmedish

Also, how to draw graphs of particular time asked in question?
Example : https://ede1498389cf63c6355cde6280cbfca2e8f14503.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYcm4zOGppaW5nZXc/June 2013 (v2) QP - Paper 2 CIE Physics.pdf Q5(b)(iii)

Thanks.

When the alpha particle is emitted it moves so it has kinetic energy.

The energy is already given.
5.3MeV

Remember eV is 1.6x10^-19J
M means mega, or 10^6
So 5.3MeV = 5.3*1.6*10^-19*10^6
Power is just dividing the above by time.

Reaction score
I have attached ms too in the same pic.
I have doubt in last two question where I kept question mark.
How KE and how energy can be calculated?

Physicist
paperneeder100
DarkEclipse
ahmedish

Also, how to draw graphs of particular time asked in question?
Example : https://ede1498389cf63c6355cde6280cbfca2e8f14503.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYcm4zOGppaW5nZXc/June 2013 (v2) QP - Paper 2 CIE Physics.pdf Q5(b)(iii)

Thanks.
Oh and the wave part.

Number of waves/oscillations = frequency * time = 50Hz * 5ms = 0.25

So since one complete cycle would be going down and coming back up, ½ is just going down, and ¼ is going till centre.
So it'll be a straight line through the centre

Reaction score
Oh and the wave part.

Number of waves/oscillations = frequency * time = 50Hz * 5ms = 0.25

So since one complete cycle would be going down and coming back up, ½ is just going down, and ¼ is going till centre.
So it'll be a straight line through the centre
Thanks a lot.
Can u show me on the graph of question paper please? Thanks.

Reaction score
A bright fringe forms when phase difference is 0 or 360 degrees(we write 360 because you can say n360, where n can be equal to 0,1,2,3), when they're crest on crest, *constructive interference* so the amplitude doubles
A dark fringe forms when phase difference is 180 degrees, they meet crest on trough, cancelling out.
Thanks a lot.
Can u show me on the graph of question paper please? Thanks.
Its just a straight line along the dashed line...
because T= 1/50= 0.02 and 5x10^-3 is 1/4 of that, so they move 1/4 of a cycle, the crest moves 1/4 wavelength to right, trough 1/4 wave length to left, so they're gonna cancel out since they each moved to opposite directions, they combine destructively, giving 0 amplitude.
if it was after T=10ms, the wave wouldve formed but in opposite direction. (crest becomes trough, trough becomes crest)