• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

9702_w15_qp_22 Preparations.

Done with preperations?

• Yes

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Almost

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • No

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Most questions come from kinematics and that friction slope type sums. Also, try practicing derivations of stuff (like say, resistance) using SI units, as they are quite common, and mostly appear as the first question to a paper. Radioactivity wouldn't be too much of a problem (I hope it's that). For waves, try focusing on the difference between transverse and longitudinal waves. The difference between progressive and stationary waves might be tested. Also, study the interference aspect of waves and it's sums, as they tend to come in papers. My problem lies in Kirchhoff's Laws. I just can't get it into my head.

Reaction score
Most questions come from kinematics and that friction slope type sums. Also, try practicing derivations of stuff (like say, resistance) using SI units, as they are quite common, and mostly appear as the first question to a paper. Radioactivity wouldn't be too much of a problem (I hope it's that). For waves, try focusing on the difference between transverse and longitudinal waves. The difference between progressive and stationary waves might be tested. Also, study the interference aspect of waves and it's sums, as they tend to come in papers. My problem lies in Kirchhoff's Laws. I just can't get it into my head.
Thanks a lot.
What is hard in that? What u dont get ??

According to me, some topic will not be asked. Like in Chemistry there was no questions from equilibrium nor from Inonization enthalpy... Also in math P1 there was no qquestion of series...

Reaction score
This session's papers so far have been completely different from the one's we've given or solved before. I mean, I didn't even expect the enthalpy of solution and hydration to appear in the Chemistry paper. As for Kirchhoff's Laws, I get nothing.

Reaction score
This session's papers so far have been completely different from the one's we've given or solved before. I mean, I didn't even expect the enthalpy of solution and hydration to appear in the Chemistry paper. As for Kirchhoff's Laws, I get nothing.
True that. You may ask the doubts, I will try to solve them , :)

Reaction score
can you guys explain long and short range order in polymers and crystalline solids?
Also how to define:
interference
random radioactive decay
when they ask difference between emf and p.d

Reaction score
The Sarcastic Retard
Thanks for the suggestions!
ahmedish
What do you mean by that long & short range order of polymers and crystalline solids?
Interference: A phenomenon which coherent waves undergo when they experience points of cancellation (where there is zero amplitude, which means silence. This is called destructive interference) and points of reinforcement (when the amplitude is the sum of the amplitude of it's constituent waves, which means increased loudness. This is called constructive interference).
Random radioactive decay: I'm not exactly sure, but I think it's a phenomenon when radionuclides in a radioactive substance decay randomly. We cannot tell exactly which radionuclide will decay, only predict and calculate the rate of decay. If someone can correct this, it would be helpful.
Difference between EMF and PD: EMF is the work done when a unit charge moves around a complete circuit, whereas the PD is the work done to move a unit charge in a component.
Hope this helps.

Reaction score
U took both.. Good luck mate.
I didn't know it was gonna be this hard. Literally my hardest session this one... mostly due to business, physics is alright.
The Sarcastic Retard
Thanks for the suggestions!
ahmedish
What do you mean by that long & short range order of polymers and crystalline solids?
Interference: A phenomenon which coherent waves undergo when they experience points of cancellation (where there is zero amplitude, which means silence. This is called destructive interference) and points of reinforcement (when the amplitude is the sum of the amplitude of it's constituent waves, which means increased loudness. This is called constructive interference).
Random radioactive decay: I'm not exactly sure, but I think it's a phenomenon when radionuclides in a radioactive substance decay randomly. We cannot tell exactly which radionuclide will decay, only predict and calculate the rate of decay. If someone can correct this, it would be helpful.
Difference between EMF and PD: EMF is the work done when a unit charge moves around a complete circuit, whereas the PD is the work done to move a unit charge in a component.
Hope this helps.
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/...nd AS Level/Physics (9702)/9702_w10_qp_23.pdf Question 2
Thank you. In e.m.f and p.d, can I say energy transferred from chemical to electrical per unit charge = emf whereas electrical to other forms = pd?

Reaction score
Yeah. That actually is very true. Batteries are chemical cells which produce voltage in the form of EMF, so your definition for that is correct. As for PD, it is quite correct, seeing that PD can also be defined as work done or energy transferred between two electrical components in unit charge.

Reaction score
ahmedish
About 9702_w10_qp_23 Q2:
Crystalline solid: Solid containing ions in a regular lattice structure. It is a long range structure because the lattice consists of repeating units of ions in a regular arrangement.
Polymer: Long chains of monomers (repeating units). They can have cross-linking structures or tangled bits. Cross-linking polymers tend to be stronger because van der Waals forces are definite there, whereas tangled polymers are just like of spaghetti - completely random.
Amorphous: Has no fixed arrangement of particles.

Hope this helps.

P.S: I'd like it if someone elaborated on the amorphous part.

Reaction score
ahmedish
About 9702_w10_qp_23 Q2:
Crystalline solid: Solid containing ions in a regular lattice structure. It is a long range structure because the lattice consists of repeating units of ions in a regular arrangement.
Polymer: Long chains of monomers (repeating units). They can have cross-linking structures or tangled bits. Cross-linking polymers tend to be stronger because van der Waals forces are definite there, whereas tangled polymers are just like of spaghetti - completely random.
Amorphous: Has no fixed arrangement of particles.

Hope this helps.

P.S: I'd like it if someone elaborated on the amorphous part.
A sold, that lacks the long-range order characteristic of a crystal.

Reaction score
ahmedish
EMF: work done per unit charge when energy is transformed from other forms to electrical energy.
PD: work done per unit charge when energy is transformed from electrical energy to other forms.

Random radioactive decay: impossible to predict when a nucleus will decay, and each nucleus has the same probability of decaying per unit time as compared to other nuclei.

Amorphous: disordered arrangement of atoms and all ordering is short-ranged.

Courtesy of the CIE textbook and Znotes :)